Dead DeVille Aftermath!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Dead DeVille Aftermath! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Got it back from the dealer today and it was all fixed. The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had ...
    2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

Exclamation Dead DeVille Aftermath!

Got it back from the dealer today and it was all fixed.

The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it.

Essentially it rendered cylinder 2 inoperative and caused it to run rich, hence the misfire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Dead DeVille Aftermath!

Congrats you got her going!!! Hopefully it didnt hurt your pocket too bad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Congrats you got her going!!! Hopefully it didnt hurt your pocket too bad!!!
    O2 Sensor - $89
    New Plug - $10
    Labour - $214

Total = $313

Plus I had more work done the same day:

New window mouldings on pass side - $147
    Lube, oil, filter, chassis lube - $40
    Labour - $140

Total = $327

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

"The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it."

i think they lied to you , i replaced boath of my sensors , at home in the driveway with a florrjack , jackstand and the wrench (13/16 i belive), then turned around and changed all the plugs ...i never do the plugs again tho , god that was a awful job

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    "The problem was the downstream O2 sensor had fouled the spark plug on cylinder 2 (at the back, farthest to the left). Now of course, the home mechanic can't get at the downstream sensor and so they had to replace it."

i think they lied to you , i replaced boath of my sensors , at home in the driveway with a florrjack , jackstand and the wrench (13/16 i belive), then turned around and changed all the plugs ...i never do the plugs again tho , god that was a awful job
    I'm surprised you found them that difficult! Sure it was hard, but in the end, and after coming close to rupturing some A/C lines, I was VERY proud with my job! New wires, cap, rotor, and NGK G-Power plugs made that thing fly! Nothing pleases me more with that car then knowing that my plug job went flawlessly (under normal circumstances).

alot of the difficulty was on my part to be honest , it was tight on that rear bank but i have a ruptured disc in my back so screwing around on that rear bank,leaned over the front of the car did a number on me , it still makes my top 10 of worst plug change access , could be worse tho, could be a late 60s 427 stang , according to ford the engine HAS to be pulled to change the plugs and back then there was no platnum plugs or and kind of 100,000 mile tuneup intervals

alot of the difficulty was on my part to be honest , it was tight on that rear bank but i have a ruptured disc in my back so screwing around on that rear bank,leaned over the front of the car did a number on me , it still makes my top 10 of worst plug change access , could be worse tho, could be a late 60s 427 stang , according to ford the engine HAS to be pulled to change the plugs and back then there was no platnum plugs or and kind of 100,000 mile tuneup intervals
    lol poor stoneage!

Hmmmm....title....do you get seasick in your caddy? I do. LOL bounce! I frequently bounce the car when I come to a stop. Its funny! We got chicks that way! Me and a buddy of mine were driving along, coming up to a light. We were playing 'Cadillac Pimpin' by Youngbloodz and so I decide to hit the brake intermittently to make the car appear as if it has hydraulics. So these chicks next to us are laughing at out patheticism and we basically changed course and followed them to their house. lol it was fun.

For the rest of yous me and stoneage are officially brothers. Both 1994's, both 4.9's!

sure do get sea sick , there a section of i275 that has some very nasty fast elevation changes and the damn thing begins to feel like something from the movie "perfect storm "

its also why i call it the "nimitz" editon (named for the navy class ship) , tho her offical name is gladdis as in the singing overweight diva from the late 60s , approprate for a car with many diva like qualitys ,mostly the ammount of attention it reqiures to do its job

yah i guess we are just about the only 2 94 devilles with 4.9 power and i bet boath of us are over 100,000 miles , of coarse you may be measureing in kms

matter of fact she turned over to 114000 today , and did it ping free!!!!

sure do get sea sick , there a section of i275 that has some very nasty fast elevation changes and the damn thing begins to feel like something from the movie "perfect storm "

its also why i call it the "nimitz" editon (named for the navy class ship) , tho her offical name is gladdis as in the singing overweight diva from the late 60s , approprate for a car with many diva like qualitys ,mostly the ammount of attention it reqiures to do its job

yah i guess we are just about the only 2 94 devilles with 4.9 power and i bet boath of us are over 100,000 miles , of coarse you may be measureing in kms

matter of fact she turned over to 114000 today , and did it ping free!!!!
    Not bad. 114,000 and still going strong!

Mine has 106,000kms - thats 67,000mi

I've got a ways to go yet!

yah looks like you got a ton of life in yours , i think we will be ok as long as our trannys hold up , i think the motors gonna outlive everything on the car , its the damned tranny i wonder about

For extra tranny life, add an external cooler.......

Heat is the the no 1 thing that kills trannies..... Closely followed by ill-maintenance.......

espiccaly true in the Q45

i might check mine tomrrow , i know theres a oil cooler out there but im unsure if theres a trans cooler , if not i got my eye on a real neat one that has a electric fan on it

Im sure it comes stock with a heat exchanger (hoses hooked up to the radiator)......

yah and those are ususly asking for a excuse to leak and grossly inefficent

In the winter, they actaully help (they let the tranny heat up faster)...... But in the hot summer, they do more harm than good......

If you want to heat up the tranny really good before you go out, put it in gear and apply the brake for about 25 seconds..... That is when the most heat is created, in gear and stopped....... I always put my car in neutral when im at a stoplight for a while.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.