Code E49 Air Injection System Fault - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Code E49 Air Injection System Fault in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Unless of course some clown from the EPA snoops around in your engine compartment once a year........
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: Code E49 Air Injection System Fault

Unless of course some clown from the EPA snoops around in your engine compartment once a year.....

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Great news! I had my exhaust checked because it was making a vibration/knock coming from the cat area. Cat is bad and I have an exhaust leak where the front pipe meets the cat which needs a gasket.

As of right now I have the front manifold plugged and I'm debating on what to do with the valve and air pump. Maybe I'm nuts but I need to check the operation of the diverter again because I'm getting different results when I check air flow.

I'm in PA so I'm not exactly sure what they test for on a car that's 21 years old. Thanks for the input!

Diverter Valve update* Ok maybe it was my Catalytic Converter/Exhaust leak the whole time thats been giving me all these issues. I rechecked the diverter valve and pulled all hoses, started a cold engine and here's what happened...

From start up until maybe 20 seconds the air blew to the front manifold, after that the air blew to the air cleaner...Once the car was warm the air was blowing to the converter. Never was the air coming out more than one hole at a time leading me to believe now the diverter is/was good.

I'm getting a new cat installed early this week, so I cant wait to see how she runs after that...

Got the magnaflow converter put on today and what a big difference! Car sounds really good I'll take some audio. I have the stock muffler still on. it accelerates quick and smooth with no hesitation. haven't driven it more than 6 miles yet so I would like to monitor it a little more.

Just to end this thread...after triple checking all the vaccum hoses and rubber elbows or connectors I corrected my issue. The smog pump output hose that goes up towards the bypass and diverter valve wasn't fully on, 2 suspect elbows that I replaced, new air filter(wasn't really dirty) and tapping on the egr valve with a wrench the car is running great! Still will monitor mpgs and codes (if any).

I started to get some hesitation again and today was another warm day around 82 degrees. The car was fully warm and started to hesitate and not accelerate quickly. I decided to replace the Coil, Control Module, Coolant Temp Sensor and Manifold Air Temperature Sensor.

1. The MAT sensor was totally black and gummed up, not sure if it was functioning correctly but I replaced it.
    2. Removed Cap, Rotor and removed the ICM and was very scared I was going to break something. Finally got the connectors off and replaced it with a new ICM and even went out and bought thermal compound. Smeared the backing plate of the ICM and mounting surface after cleaning and screwed it back down, reinstalled the rotor.
    3. Replaced the Coil, but did not replace the ground strap(which was rusted at the straight end). Cleaned the metal strap and reinstalled everything, including the wires and firing order. I was careful to replace everything as I removed it.

Well I get the intake on, connect the battery and CAR DOESNT START. The engine is rotating but no start. It got dark and I need to figure out if one of the parts I bought was bad or if I missed I step. I need to now replace the Cap because the location where the ground strap connects to 1 of the 4 coil hold-down screws stripped the plastic. Im going to buy a new coil ground strap and check for resistance according to the manual for the ICM, pickup and coil.

I did not replace the coolant temp sensor yet because I cant find my 3/4" deep socket so I have to buy a new one. Could that thermal compound cause it not to start? I used a liberal amount basically so the whole metal surface was thinly covered. Or the new Air Intake Temp Sensor? I'll retrace my steps and follow the manual again but it doesnt add up so my guess is 1 of the new parts I installed was no good.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

You did a bunch of stuff at once so it's hard to say w/o looking at the car.

-My MAT sensor looked the same way but was functioning ok. The gunk is normal and comes from the EGR system. I replaced mine with a BWD brand and got E074 constantly afterwards. I swapped it back with the old one but that's just my experience...

-I replaced my ICM with a 'Duralast' and it only lasted a year. I now have the original 20 year old unit back in there. That says alot about factory original parts. The new unit should have come with thermal compound in the box. I prefer to use 'Arctic Silver 5' instead. It's designed for computer CPU heatsinks. Not necessary, but cant hurt... The lack of a thermal compound will not cause a no-start on the first try, however it will burn out during the first run without it.

-Use a digital voltimeter to test for continuity between the ground strap and the alternator casing. Testing positive for continuity will prove that the strap is indeed grounded.

-The car will start and run with both the IAT and ECTS unplugged so that cant be it.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

The MAT should not prevent the car from starting. It's possible but the usual effect is to make it run like crap, since the computers usually default to something like 70 Fahrenheit (I think the specs are in the fuel injection part of the FSM).

I'm betting on coil ground wire. Did you check for spark? Pull one of the wires and lay a plug against something with a good ground while somebody else cranks the motor, should see a good spark.

Hey Guys,

Yesterday I went back and reinstalled my original coil and ICM and still no start, I even tried starting fluid and still nothing. This basically tells me that Im not getting spark.

Im going to slow down and go through the basic checks again.

1. Check for spark and check all fuses
    2. Check the resistance at the coil
    3. Check voltage at the ICM and Resistance at the connector from the pickup coil.

I also put my original air temp sensor back in and nothing...I have a strange feeling that I left something unplugged.

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks guys!

WOW, i cant believe i missed this...The white single battery connector that plugs into the cap was hiden underthe distributor body. I must have pushed it out of the way and totally forgot about it. This has to be the reason for no start...I checked and no spark was getting to the plugs. I need to resinstall everything and make sure I reconnect that white connector and it should be good.

Well the battery power would definitely help to power the componenets in the distributor...Thank god that nightmare is over. She's running again.

Update

So when I was up for inspection I replaced the brass plug in my manifold with the original setup. Now I decided to go back to bypassing the diverter valve. For the first time I decided to connect the air pump output directly to the cat hose that originally was connected to the diverter valve. My question is do I need to disconnect the vacuum hoses that plug into the diverter and cap those? And should I cap the air intake and remove the front hose that also routes to the airpump? I've immediatedly noticed that connecting the air pump directly to the cat improved my performance.

Sevillian I remember you did this but wasn't sure of the small details.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

If you are going to disable the system, it would be pretty senseless to keep all of the components and re-route the piping. Just rip it all out. Remove the diverter valve assembly and hoses, plug the exhaust ports, remove the air pump, install a 4.9L belt, and , from a 4.9L junkyard car, pull the supplementary brace that takes the place of the air pump on your 4.5L model.

Drew that is a great point my only concern due to my lack of knowledge would be....can I just cap the exhaust tube? Will this affect the cat heating up and helping introduce oxygen? Or would capping this tube have the same effect? Thanks I appreciatte the input.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Yeah, you can just cap it, no problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.