Engine Swap Process - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Engine Swap Process in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ghost C, Feel free to continue to reply and I will always just calmly reply back. I don't mind if ...
    Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Re: Engine Swap Process

Ghost C,

Feel free to continue to reply and I will always just calmly reply back. I don't mind if you post in here I don't discriminate. We drive and own our cars for different reasons and I'm fine with that. Even though you're a genius at everything else, your people skills need work.

I finally bought a Haynes manual and they dont mention the number of O2 sensors. I see the threads on both manifolds, but is there also one downstream?

After much research, I'm getting conflicting answers. Alot of people say there is only 1 sensor but why would the manifolds have the exact same threaded holes for o2 sensors if the one was left unused. I dont have access to my car, only the engine Im replacing it with or i'd look under my hood.

Engine arrived at the shop today so I'll take some pictures once i get her back...Hopefully I'll know how to use a camera being as how inept i am...

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Dont forget to take the lense cap off!

If both manifolds have o2 sensor bungs, then it probably came from a Seville or Eldorado. Or possibly a later model Deville. I think they switched from a single O2 to duals in the devilles sometime after 1990. There will be none downstream from the engine. If the original car had just one, then you must retain the original manifolds since your car's PCM will only be able to accommodate input from a single sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost C View Post
    You work on your car because you can't afford to pay someone, people pay me to make parts for their cars. See how that works?

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

You can buy a threaded plug for the O2 bung.. or just find a short bolt

i looked up the VIN on the engine and its telling me it came from a 90 Coupe Deville...I'm going back to the shop today so i want to double check this. I would imagine the o2 sensor goes to the rear manifold right? I'll probably ask my mechnic to block up the other bung instead of swapping the manifolds.

How many o2 sensors does the original car have? If only one, then like you said, you can use just one manifold and plug the other. The only downside to this is that the computer will take readings from that one bank and apply the same actions to the other bank. The effects will likely be negligible. The dual o2 setup can fine-tune the fueling for both banks independently.

One issue that comes to mind is the A.I.R. system. It uses the O2 sensor in the front manifold to self-test so you may get a e049. The EGR system also uses the o2's for self testing but I dont recall if it uses just one or both....

I suppose after all is said and done, you could swap the o2 from one side to the other if codes pop up....

Woah woah, wait a damn minute!! Lol - Now that I think about it, the o2 bungs should be in the downpipes just after the manifolds. That bung you are looking at in the manifold itself is probably just the A.I.R. discharge port. This is where fresh air is intrduced into the exhaust stream from the smog pump. Engines made after 1990 did not have this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I believe that the '90-'93 Deville had it's single 02 sensor in the rear manifold, yes the manifold itself, not the y-pipe. The threads in the front manifold are probably for the AIR tube, like mentioned by Sevillian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    How many o2 sensors does the original car have? If only one, then like you said, you can use just one manifold and plug the other. The only downside to this is that the computer will take readings from that one bank and apply the same actions to the other bank. The effects will likely be negligible. The dual o2 setup can fine-tune the fueling for both banks independently.

One issue that comes to mind is the A.I.R. system. It uses the O2 sensor in the front manifold to self-test so you may get a e049. The EGR system also uses the o2's for self testing but I dont recall if it uses just one or both....

I suppose after all is said and done, you could swap the o2 from one side to the other if codes pop up....

Woah woah, wait a damn minute!! Lol - Now that I think about it, the o2 bungs should be in the downpipes just after the manifolds. That bung you are looking at in the manifold itself is probably just the A.I.R. discharge port. This is where fresh air is intrduced into the exhaust stream from the smog pump. Engines made after 1990 did not have this.

Hey youre exactly right...I stopped at the shop today and we verified that my OE engine has only 1 and the other hole is for the smog pump hose. I was able to return 1 O2 sensor...I bought a A/T filter kit and Max Life Dexron 2 fluid instead.

UPDATE*

My mechanic decided he wanted to pull the engine through the top, so he removed everything in the way. This included hood, fans, all accessories, TB, hoses, etc...His reasoning was that he wanted to leave the transmission in the car and thought it would be easier this way. I'm not going to argue, because he's a great mechanic. All he needs to do now is unbolt the transmission and the engine can come out. I'm probably a good 2 days away from it being finished! I'm so anxious!

You should have seen the EGR tubes in the port holes of my OE engine...they were totally blocked up and when you looked into the port holes it was totally black and disgusting. I'm sure once I get the new engine in, it will run like a dream.

They still make Dexron 2 ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    They still make Dexron 2 ?!
    Well no, but the Dex/Merc fluid is safe and compatible for Dex 2, 3, etc..

According to my manual a fluid and filter change requires 13 pints of fluid. It should take 6.5 qts if my calculations are correct?

Sounds about right. I think I bought 7 singles when I did mine.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Dex VI is better and not that much more money.

I can still return it since he hasnt gotten to the filter change yet. Im trying to do all the necessary changes now and start fresh. I really like Valvoline and Maxlife products, but Im not sure they had a Dex VI Max Life product. I will check though. If they dont, I did see Catrol Dex VI.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.