4.9 Individual Throttle Body project - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Individual Throttle Body project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by the recluse Wow, that's all?!? The combined flow rate should have that motor breathing REAL easy... Question ...
    Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Re: 4.9 Individual Throttle Body project

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    Wow, that's all?!? The combined flow rate should have that motor breathing REAL easy...

Question though, do you have access to a dyno for a before and after? Just curious for a more black and white approach. I'm looking to put a 4.9 in my Firebird and since I would have to possibly mock-up some exhaust manifolds/headers why not tackle something like this too if the HP gain is good...
    No before dyno, but I'll get an after dyno more than likely. I also intend to - at some point - fabricate a set of 180 degree headers for my car. Which will be awesome... and ridiculously complicated.

If your main goal is power and you want a 4.9, you should look at turbocharging. I prefer naturally aspirated cars, and I'm only looking to make around 280-300hp when the motor is fully done. ITB's will probably only be worth 30-40hp on their own.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost C View Post
    ITB's will probably only be worth 30-40hp on their own.

I'm gonna guess your estimates are about 50-60hp too high :P

Be sure and fill us in with the results!

Quote Originally Posted by negativesnancy View Post

I'm gonna guess your estimates are about 50-60hp too high :P

Be sure and fill us in with the results!
    Your advice is unneeded, your opinion is unwanted. Please refrain from trolling my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

But anyway, parts of that would be great for WI's legislature at the moment!

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Ive been reading some of these posts lately. Ive noticed that peoples reactions to some of the things you're doing having nothing to do with jealousy. I think your posts come off a certain way that people don't care for and when they respond to you, you take it as hate or jealousy and envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristofo View Post
    Ive been reading some of these posts lately. Ive noticed that peoples reactions to some of the things you're doing having nothing to do with jealousy. I think your posts come off a certain way that people don't care for and when they respond to you, you take it as hate or jealousy and envy.
    Did you have anything relevant to add, or did you just want to prove your keyboard is functioning?

Yea I wanted to ADD that you don't get it, but as far as your project do whatever makes you happy.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

If your main goal is power and you want a 4.9, you should look at turbocharging. I prefer naturally aspirated cars...
    The real reason I like the idea of a 4.9 liter is the fact I just rebuilt the entire (front and rear) suspension on my V6 Firebird. So to not deal with the spring changes and possible geometry changes in the front end, I've opted for the 4.9. It weighs 360 lbs, the V6 350. It bolts right up to the 700 r4 (for the V6), and gives me significant torque improvement. All this and it gets 20+ mpg.

Yeah, and I agree, I prefer N/A cars also....

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It sounds like Ghost has a good handle on leadership and naysayers. I'm not one to rain on anybody's parade; I'm more of a wait and see kind of guy. Sometimes the naysayers may spit out a valid point that may not have been considered yet, so their criticism may have some value in the end. Keep us posted on your progress; just don't get mad and leave us. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    The real reason I like the idea of a 4.9 liter is the fact I just rebuilt the entire (front and rear) suspension on my V6 Firebird. So to not deal with the spring changes and possible geometry changes in the front end, I've opted for the 4.9. It weighs 360 lbs, the V6 350. It bolts right up to the 700 r4 (for the V6), and gives me significant torque improvement. All this and it gets 20+ mpg.

Yeah, and I agree, I prefer N/A cars also....
    Sounds like a great project, if you're interested in the ITB setup you might want to start looking for good deals on the Allante intake setup. Even if the ITB's don't work as well as I think they will, the Allante setup is good for 20hp and 20ft/lbs, and they're getting more and more rare. I know there's an upper manifold and throttle body on ebay right now for $50, here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/allan...#ht_500wt_1182

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It sounds like Ghost has a good handle on leadership and naysayers. I'm not one to rain on anybody's parade; I'm more of a wait and see kind of guy. Sometimes the naysayers may spit out a valid point that may not have been considered yet, so their criticism may have some value in the end. Keep us posted on your progress; just don't get mad and leave us. Peace.
    This pretty much sums it up. Even someone as technically gifted and ruggedly handsome as myself (lol) can miss things or not think of something, etc. That's why I posted this thread, so that if someone with knowledge I don't have (see first post) feels like contributing, they can. I do not, however, appreciate a negative nancy and I think it's been well known for years that I have no problem speaking my mind on a subject.

I need to get some pipes and figure out how I'm going to work them from the manifold to the throttles, should have a mockup piece done within the next week or so. I also bought a set of 19lb injectors, but I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong style (good job me right?), I'll have to see when they get here. I know they'll still work, but I believe they're the older type injectors and not the Type III's with 4 holes. Next item to be purchased will be an adjustable FPR... And an Accel super coil... And better plug wires... And plugs... And... It never ends.

My injectors got here today, they're the 4 hole type after all. But one of them has a cracked pintle cap... So that sucks. Contacted the seller, we'll see how that ends up working out.

Have you figured a way to mount the throttle bodies to the intake hole confirguration yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristofo View Post
    Have you figured a way to mount the throttle bodies to the intake hole confirguration yet?
    Since you asked, the plan is something like this

But the runners won't be nearly that long, or tall. That's just a quick mockup job. I'm using 90 degree elbows cut in half, then reversed (as if you couldn't see that), I did this to get a general idea of if I'll need to add sections between the two cut elbows to put the 2 sets of TB's further away from each other in order to mount the throttle linkage piece that will open both sets simultaneously. I'm undecided on that part right now, been focusing mostly on parts for other people.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.