New annoying message: "Change Oil Soon" (just changed it last month!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, New annoying message: "Change Oil Soon" (just changed it last month!) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Can someone tell me how to clear this message? I searched the forum before posting this. Is it found in ...
    Hairball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville (base model)

Angry New annoying message: "Change Oil Soon" (just changed it last month!)

Can someone tell me how to clear this message? I searched the forum before posting this. Is it found in the PCM Code section?

I printed out all the steps to read codes and clear a few, but if someone can tell me exactly where to locate and clear this one, I would appreciate it.

I've been searching high and low for an OBD1 but still haven't found one. The only place I haven't looked is ebay since I closed my account. I want one so checking and clearing codes will be 10 times easier (I'm guessing) than pushing heater buttons.

But yes, I just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago but nothing was reset, so the computer seems to think it's that time again.

(Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. Just keep in mind that this is my first Cadillac and I'm still learning things about it.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: New annoying message: "Change Oil Soon" (just changed it last month!)

Not so stupid. I searched high and low for the same thing on my 90 Seville. I finily located a owners service manual for my car (in the glove compartment) and low and behold the instructions for reseting the change oil message. "press and hold the range and reset buttons at the same time, wait about 10 sec or so until the display reads 100 oil life."

Thanks! I'll have to try that!

I do have an original owner's manual AND an FSM but never really figured it would say how to reset it other than for a shop with the correct electronic equipment.

I'll check the owner's manual, then the FSM.

Thanks again!

Found it in my owner's manual. It's a bit different than yours was, but close. For the 93 Seville, the procedure is simple like yours. Just press Information until Oil Life Index appears (mine was down to 9 out 100!), then press and hold Store/Recall until index number goes back to 100.

Finally! One less annoying message to view! Now all I have to do is put up with the "Low Refrigerant Level" and "A/C Compressor Off" messages until someone helps me figure out what to do since I can't find R-12 these days.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I keep forgetting the exact procedure so I stuck a post-it on the page in my owner’s manual for future reference since I always change my own oil and filter.
    The A/C messages require the system to be serviced to clear message.
    I also had this same problem. I took my Seville to my local Caddy dealership and for $130 got my A/C back on line, with R12. Call around; R12 isn’t as scarce or expensive as most think. I located a local wrecking yard that supplies reclaimed R12 to anyone with A/C cert. for $2.00 per lb. A lot of the A/C shops want you to convert because they can't recharge with R12. It’s just that their equipment is set up for the new stuff and they want your money. A lot of dealerships still have the older equipment to service extended warranty A/C work. Those days are short numbered through.
    I thought all of the 93 models were r134a?

Hey, thanks for the info! I'll check into it! And you're right, I checked the EPA website and it says it's not illegal to USE it, it's only illegal to sell it. Anyone can get R-12 from certified, licensed A/C shops. I'll check into that wrecking yard thing. I do need to recharge my system before summer. I can only imagine how hot these Cadillac interiors can get with all the leather!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.