1993 Distributor, and Minimum Air
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1993 Distributor, and Minimum Air in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm slowly working my way through all the problems that need to be fixed on my '93 Deville. So, I ...
    Enigmaticwraith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Deville

1993 Distributor, and Minimum Air

I'm slowly working my way through all the problems that need to be fixed on my '93 Deville. So, I have two questions. First, I'm trying to adjust the timing, however I can't figure out how to even get a wrench at the distributor hold-down bolt. Is there any particular way to do this that I've missed? Second, how do you adjust the minimum air screw? Do you have to take the ISC motor off first to get to it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: 1993 Distributor, and Minimum Air

The bolt for the distributor is a 15mm, you can use a crows foot with an offset, but it's a pain in the ass. Much easier to take the air intake assembly off and fiddle with it, then reassemble. You can usually slide a 15mm wrench right where the bracket and housing would normally be.

That minimum air screw , yeah, the only way I could reasonably keep my sanity was to remove the ISC motor bracket. Since the ISC is taken out of the equation (by procedure) to set the idle speed anyway, this really isn't a problem other than R&R'ing the part.

Enigmaticwraith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Deville

Thanks for the information, it helped tremendously. Now, I'm having a problem with the minimum air adjustment. In the directions it says to disable to generator by grounding the green harness connector plug adjacent to the generator. What green harness is it talking about? And also why does the generator need to be disabled to adjust the minimum air/idle speed?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Follow the harness that connects to the back of the alternator. Follow it down about 12 inches from the end and you should see a green clip on a short bud with "Ground" labeled on it. Ground this out to a good source.

IIRC, this isolates the alternator from the system; to eliminate any electrical "noise" or interference that may throw off the diagnostics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.