Bad A/C Delco Waterpump. 91 Eldo 4.9 Anything better than AC Delco Waterpumps? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Bad A/C Delco Waterpump. 91 Eldo 4.9 Anything better than AC Delco Waterpumps? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My experience with Optima, not that good. I'd just try a different brand the next time besides Optima. And yes, ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Bad A/C Delco Waterpump. 91 Eldo 4.9 Anything better than AC Delco Waterpumps?

My experience with Optima, not that good. I'd just try a different brand the next time besides Optima. And yes, the most recent Napa batteries I bought for a fleet of trucks and construction equipment were crap. Bought a batch of AC Delco from a battery only vender and even some from Auto Zone and have had no problems with them.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Re: Bad A/C Delco Waterpump. 91 Eldo 4.9 Anything better than AC Delco Waterpumps?

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    Update of my own:

Another water pump failed on my 4.9 after only approximately 10,000...bearing failure. Replaced it with a brand new Cardone part from Advanced Auto for around $55.00. Who knows as to longevity, but 10,000 miles sucks for a water pump...just saying.

When removed, no problem with rust.
    THE RECLUSE: What pump did you have that only lasted 10K?

As I mentioned before, if anyone hasn't replaced their original tensioner, best to replace it with the new Gates design tensioner to try and prevent bearing failures in ALL componants in the accessory drive. (Alt, W.P., P.S. Pump, Idler.)

From my research, and own experiance, I can only wonder if in fact the failing tensioner caused all my problems of a failed P.S. Pump Bearing, Alt Bearing, and WaterPump Bearing on a new waterpump that was replaced as preventative maintanance all within a a year or so.

Unhappy Re: Bad A/C Delco Waterpump. 91 Eldo 4.9 Anything better than AC Delco Waterpumps?

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST AGAIN, BUT THIS IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE READ.....

Well, after all my research to find a better water-pump,my 2nd and new "Cardone Select" water-pump failed within 1yr. 2 months with less than 5000 miles on it. I even did a very aggressive flush using the old GM Oxalic Acid flush/neutralizer procedure and according to the GM TSB to be sure the system was very clean and installed a new rad. I then used conventional EG Green Coolant and Royal Purple "Purple Ice" coolant additive/lubricant.

I really thought the Cardone Select new pump would be the best after they issued a very specific TSB about this pump and speaking to 3 Cardone Techs about the pump design.
    Here it the new TSB link as the old links I posted are no longer active:
    http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2058-0008.pdf

CARDONE wants me to send in the pump for "Lab Analysis" to determine why their pump failed, but I'm sure I won't get a straight answer of what the results are.

I even installed a 2nd new GATES Tensioner with this pump because I thought the other new tensioner was over-tensioning the drive belt system and other components to make my old Delco pump fail within 1.5 yrs and under 10k ml.

I may do some sort of a torque ft. lb test comparing the Gates Tensioner to a new Delco Tensioner just for the h'll of it. I'm going to buy a digital wrench adapter like this to do a comparsion:
    http://www.eastwood.com/wireless-ele...e-adapter.html

Or Craftsman, but I think it's discontinued:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/torque/torque.htm

I spoke to Gates today and they insist there is no problems with their tensioners. I just can't understand what is causing the bearing to fail on now 2 different pumps.

I posted this idea before and are now considering it but I have some concerns. I've been talking with Stewart Componants Mfg. who makes an Electric In-Line Pump.
    http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...Code=ElectPump

I would re-rout the belt and no longer drive the water pump pulley and go from the Crank directly to the A/C Pulley. I'm just concerned there may not be enough belt surface area to drive the A/C Compressor going from 75% belt wrap around the A/C pulley to about 25%-30% belt wrap when re-routing belt. I'm afraid the belt may slip when the A/C engages with so little contact area.

I sent some photos of the 4.9 water-pump design and wimpy impeller design to a Tech at Stewart and he agreed that the impeller should be removed for better flow if I decide to use their In-Line Electric Pump but he said it may still flow well with it left on. They actually want me to send the pump in to see if they can get a better impeller to fit this pump, but that will not address the bearing/seal issues everyone seems to have.

The other problem is clearance to even get the pump to fit in the area between the lower rad. outlet to the water-pump rear housing inlet............Very little room especially with the tranny lines in the way which can be fitted with braided line, but there may not be enough hose length on each end of the pump to absorb engine movement.

I've got some old injuries and replacing the stock pump again really does me in...............

I wish I never took my OEM pump off with 80k ml. but I was doing other repairs in the area and it just made sense to replace it as preventative maintenance............"so if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....

I found others out there who are also having problems with after-market pumps:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...too-often.html
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1129
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=27639

Anyone else having pump failures when using newer tensioners which maybe the cause???????????

Anyone having aftermarket pump failures PERIOD?

I wonder if I can somehow verify if pumps in the junk yard are original O.E.'s and not replacements. Does anyone have an old O.E. pump laying around to examine for markings???????

I would rather take a chance on a used O.E. pump than buying any new pump at this rate.

MY WARNING TOO EVERYONE:
    DON'T REPLACE YOUR GM/OEM WATER-PUMP IF IT'S NOT MAKING NOISE!
    YOU'LL BE SORRY LIKE MYSELF AND OTHERS!

My replacement pump looked exactly the same as the new one. I used the old tensioner, old idler pulleys, same pulley on the water pump, same AC compressor, same alternator, same crank damper pulley. I only replaced my water pump because the gasket was leaking, it had 103k and thought for good measure go ahead and replace. My past experience with parts store new or used pumps whether it was water pump, power steering pump, fuel pumps was not good in the past for a fleet of trucks I managed. I started buying OEM pumps and the problems went away. BTW, the pump I bought from a dealer part number was 12369484 and came with a gasket and that part number might have changed. I don't know the price on it now, not cheap then. You might shop around. I only had to do mine once.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Chris, to have repeated failures of a water pump is very strange. While I agree that most new parts suck, I have never heard of a single part failing that many times.

I'm in a frustrating situation myself right now. I have an a/c compressor that works fine but is leaking out of a rear plug. I do not want a new one because of the reasons you have given, but can't find the correct o-ring to repair my current compressor.

What is that leaking compressor on? You have over 6 Cadillacs in your profile.

^^^ Ha! You sure are an early bird, Dennis!

It's on the '98 Eldorado. There is a port for a pressure pop-off valve that is leaking. Cadillac doesn't use a valve, it's just a plug... but it is leaking. The good news is that I just spoke with a local Cadillac guru a minute ago and he laughed. Apparently I'm not the first with that problem. Fortunately he said that NAPA sells a new cap and washer... Whew! I was not very excited about a new compressor given their notorious track record.

Yeah, everyday 4:00 AM rain or shine 7 days a week.

4:00? I used to do 4:30. I need to get back to it... Got so much more done! My problem sticking with it was the fact that social activities often went past my 9:30 bedtime that would allow for that kind of wake-up time.

It looks like these pumps are failing no matter what mfg. so they must be sourcing the same Chinese seals/bearings/components. The 1st pump that failed was the more expensive Delco 251-595 / gm#12369484 which is stamped "MADE IN CANADA". Delco also makes the cheaper pump # 252-720{#88926234}. The expensive Delco lasted 1.5yrs. under 10k ml. Now the CARDONE SELECT "improved bearing design" failed at 1yr with under 5000ml.

If you check out another forum links I posted above; other people are also having failures on after-market pumps. In post #9 here, this guy did his pump "4 times and once in the Marriot Parking Lot"!
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=27639

I'm so disgusted..................

chris

Are you having problems with the heater core and or radiator? Maybe your problem is starting on the coolant side. Are you filling coolant with tap water or distilled mixed with antifreeze?

Repeated message below:

I've used Distilled water, heater core disconnected for years as I'm in Florida, new rad. 50/50 Ethylene Glycol Green Coolant and this time around, I used Royal Purple/Purple Ice additive/pump conditioner.

Either its inferior designed pumps, or the new tensioners are made with too much tension. That's my best guess.

My original oem GM pump was still good with 80,000 miles and a somewhat neglected cooling system
    I just decided to change it out when replacing other parts and thought it made sense to replace it.

This really sucks.... This is a good one:

I found this.........more past members with more bad aftermarket Water-pump replacements:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2990442

Same old same old here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ater-pump.html

And here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...bad-water.html
    Maybe the older Delco Pumps were better than the 1st one I bought.

Also here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ent-wrong.html

Another 4.9 water-pump story but with some nice photos.....He used the same Permtex Gasket Adheasive that I also use....... I just wonder how he made out with Crazy Glueing the impeller plate back on. That's a very different impeller design also...........plastic. I never saw a pump like that yet.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...4-9-water.html

Can anyone say "Class Action against ALL 4.9 Water Pump Mfgs."!!!!!!
    This is on my to-do list if I win the MegaMillions!
    I'll teach the after-market.

Hmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmmm.

I have a spare brand new Delco water pump for a 4.9, but after reading this, maybe I should throw it in the trash.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.