car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; my car has a current trouble code p048 which means "Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system Problem" my car is dieing ...
    cadillaceldo93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 cadillac eldorado

car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code.

my car has a current trouble code p048 which means "Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system Problem" my car is dieing when i idle. if i push my accelerater and give my car a constant flow of gas it will not die? so do i need to replace my EGR valve?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Re: car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code.

Someone with more experience on this may have more advice. But from my reading on here, if you have rodded out the egr lines then it may require replacing. You said it doesn't die if you press the gas. Guess being your idle may be off or you have a vacuum issue. If there was a back up the car would likely still stall out once it settled down to idle after your feet released the gas

how can i test if the egr silanoid or the egr valve is bad. and thats the thing i can never take my foot off the gas or it die's so if im at a stop light i have to keep my foot on the gas and keep the rms at 1000. if i take my foot off the gas it dies.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me. If it was that bad you should be able to hear it while looking under the hood with an assistant keeping the car running. If you don't hear or see an obvious leak then it would be nice to check the vacuum. If it's very low it is probably a clogged catalytic converter. Check those EGR tubes first as was already mentioned. I think these cars have the old vacuum operated EGR valve that is usually pretty reliable.

I always thought the 93 Eldorados where Northstar engines; I dunno, close to transition time anyway.

ive been trying to look up as much info about this trouble code as possible and it seems like when most people have this problem their check engine light also comes on. mine is not on. could this maybe help narrow down the solution? i cant find a leak anywhere? can i get a light tester and see if the egr solenoid is working?

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

1. Clean the bores and the backside of throttle blades with a carb cleaner.
    2. Rod out those two EGR tubes under the blades (I am sure they are clogged).
    3. Start the cold engine and press the diaphragm of the EGR valve with fingers. The engine SHOULD stall.
    4. Pull off the vacuum line from the EGR valve, press it's diaphragm as far as you can and plug the vacuum input with finger. The diaphragm should NOT move .
    Report the results of these four test.

You have had enough information to do some tests. We cannot do them for you.

1. cleaned bored and blade.
    2. cleaned out egr tubes in the TB. were not clogged not much residue in the tubes.
    3. you cant press down the egr valve it doesnt move its bolted to the engine?

i took the hose off from the egr solenoid the input hose had a air going through it but no air was going through the output hose? will the engine stall if air is not going to the egr valve? and i took the negative of the battery to reset my codes
    now the p048 trouble code is not appearing?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaceldo93 View Post
    3. you cant press down the egr valve it doesnt move its bolted to the engine?
    Reach up UNDER the EGR valve. you will feel the diaphragm. Press it then and follow instructions.

and i took the negative of the battery to reset my codes
    now the p048 trouble code is not appearing?
    It takes some 50 cycles before the motor throws a code, if you were having problems now, it'll probably pop up later.

HUF

I never mentioned EGR SOLENOID. I was talking about EGR valve.

i pressed the diaphragm up. now my car is running worse when i take the vacuum hose off the EGR valve and plug the input and press the diaphragm it does go up it sounds like air is being pushed out.
    now my car is dieing very quick i can barely start my car and get to the front of the car before it dies

HUF

i pressed the diaphragm up. now my car is running worse when i take the vacuum hose off the EGR valve and plug the input and press the diaphragm it does go up it sounds like air is being pushed out.
    now my car is dieing very quick i can barely start my car and get to the front of the car before it dies
    Oh boy.. can't you just follow these simple steps WITHOUT improvising? lol
    3. Start the cold engine and press the diaphragm of the EGR valve with fingers. The engine SHOULD stall.
    4. Pull off the vacuum line from the EGR valve, press it's diaphragm as far as you can and plug the vacuum input with finger. The diaphragm should NOT move

what am i doing wrong i truly appreciate your help, i am not fluent with cars but have been trying to learn. as far as i knew i was following the steps. the diaphragm is the object in(under) the EGR that goes up in down correct? i was doing what you said and when i pushed the diaphragm up it would not die but it would drop rms like it was about to die then i took the hose of the input pushed the diaphragm up and put my finger on the input. when i am putting my finger on the input should the diaphragm be pushed up or be left down and try to push it up?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

...when i am putting my finger on the input should the diaphragm be pushed up or be left down and try to push it up?
    OK,OK, we'll work through this...

What he said was once you pull the line off of the EGR valve, push the diaphragm up and plug the vacuum port with your finger. RELEASE THE DIAPHRAGM BUT DON"T REMOVE YOUR FINGER FROM THE VACUUM PORT. The diaphragm should NOT move.

HUF

what am i doing wrong i truly appreciate your help, i am not fluent with cars but have been trying to learn. as far as i knew i was following the steps. the diaphragm is the object in(under) the EGR that goes up in down correct? i was doing what you said and when i pushed the diaphragm up it would not die but it would drop rms like it was about to die then i took the hose of the input pushed the diaphragm up and put my finger on the input. when i am putting my finger on the input should the diaphragm be pushed up or be left down and try to push it up?
    The fact th engine was about to die when you pushed the diaphragm is good, that means the EGR passages are clean. Probably th eengine was warm, if it were cold it would rather stall.

The second test, engine not running, depressing the diaphragm and plugging the vacuum input with finger is supposed to test the integrity of the diaphragm. If it is good the diaphragm will stay pressed as long as you keep your finger firm. If it moves slowly back - the diaphragm is shot and you need a new EGR valve.

I would recommend to move with fingers the diaphragm up and down to free it up, drive for a few days and watch.

In the worst case scenario you may need a new EGR valve. Replacing one is a pain, GM did a good job to make it as difficult as possible.

As for two EGR tubes you cleaned, even if they were partially clogged, it might be just enough to set 048 code and SES light. Hope this helps. Do not forget to reconnect the vacuum line. Good luck!

HUF

The recluse,

Thank you for helping the guy out. You are better with words than I am! lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.