car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by the recluse The number was just a number to make a point. He was thinking "clear the ...
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: car is dieing at idle. P048 current trouble code.

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    The number was just a number to make a point. He was thinking "clear the code, fix the problem". Some things, like ignition, will cycle 30 times to run circuit issues. The other thing you need to consider is that not every problem consistently causes a problem, i.e. your vacuum solenoid controlling the EGR faults (for whatever reason) and throws a code. You clear it. It doesn't throw again for a month. Same issue, different time.

So, yes, the engine might not wait "50" cycles to throw a particular code, but the PART might not fault EVERY time...
    Some things won't cause codes like if the EGR solenoid isn't being monitored the computer won't know if it is working or not until something else causes an EGR code- IE a sensor picking up a wrong reading down the line somewhere.

Big question now- is there still a current code for the EGR or are there any other codes? If you've checked for vacuum leaks and there are no and it is still stalling it could be a completely unrelated issue. Maybe the idle is too low to keep it running. Even the new EGR valve could be defective. Are you sure all the wires are hooked up back there?

cadillaceldo93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 cadillac eldorado

im off tomorrow so im going to fix any vacuum problems. when my car is having this problem (dropping rms) my lights in the car dim when the rms drop is that normal for a vacuum leak?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Not necessarily anything wrong. The surging and near stalling can run the alternator so low that the electrical system can "fade out", going from charging source to battery and back again when the rpm's rise and fall. Another issue it may be is a failing voltage regulator, but I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon until you fix the possible vacuum issues.

That said, when R&Ring vacuum lines remember to take ONE LINE AT A TIME. You don't want to mix up vacuum lines on these cars as some lines require more vacuum than others and have different starting points because of this. Replace lines with the same diameter line, don't make a small line "fit" because it's all you had left.

Other than that it should be cut and dry. Look for plastic angled line inserts that may be cracked also and replace those if need be. Most parts houses have replacement ones in a pack for about $3 or so.

i fixed all my vacuum hoses today and now my car is not jumping rmps. it still dies at stops so i have to keep my foot on the gas and when im driving my car is hard to shift it revs up to about 4000 rpms before shifting it has not done this before. at idle by car stays around 600rpms

You're probably looking at a MAP sensor. The MAP sensor won't definitely throw a code on your DIC, so running codes may not help. Run codes again anyway while I ponder....

You're in luck, I found a closeout on Rockauto.com

Go to your car and look up Fuel/Air, look up MAP sensor, and find this closeout part for $20.79: AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S1151

For $20 it's worth the replacement and is looking to be, or at least part of, the problem.

EDIT: Before you go that route, check the vacuum line that leads to the MAP sensor. It should run off a hard line atop the motor. Sometimes, the rubber 90* or the straight vacuum lines crack and you can't see it. Check these first...

can u give me more info on where the map senor will be. like near the beltside or sumtin like that. how and ive never been taught how to change my own oil. how many quarts do i need to do an oil change on my car and where is the oil pan at exactly?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

We really need a tutorial on how to use the onboard diagnostics here. You could , in real time, monitor MAP sensor operation right on the dashboard rather than spending $20 to find out...

i just looked in my cadillac book. i know exactly where the map sensor is its right above the EGR valve. is there any possibility that i can just go to oriellys and have them test the sensor for me or is there an easy way i can test it?

i just ran my trouble codes to see if anything new has came up. i have a PO22 trouble code. meaning open throttle position sensor.

i have fixed the po22 trouble code turns out the sensor wasnt connected to the TB. seems to be running okay now. i guess ill find out throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    We really need a tutorial on how to use the onboard diagnostics here. You could , in real time, monitor MAP sensor operation right on the dashboard rather than spending $20 to find out...
    Good idea. I know I'd read it....

Of course, running codes again would've answered that suggestion before it was given....

im still having problems with my car. it is still dieing when i come to a stop. i had a pulley break of my power steering pump and had a shop fix it. they said my problem with my car dieing is a bad fuel pressure regulator. is it possible this is the problem. is the regulator on the bottom of the car near the driver side door?

hcaddy95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995,Cadillac Deville,HT 4900

umm take the vaccum hose of the fuel pressue regulator if theres any gas in the hose or its dripping out the nipple of the regulator then yes i would say its bad, do this with the car running and the FPR is on the top of the engine by the distributor, air cleaner etc.. it looks like one of these

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1...8000000897.jpg

hcaddy95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995,Cadillac Deville,HT 4900

down by the drivers side door??? and that is your fuel filter which i would replace because its cheap. how many miles are on this car? and what have you all done to it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.