E 90 Code - VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, E 90 Code - VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Folks: I have had an E 90 code (VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem) pop up several times in the past ...
    EldoRedo91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

E 90 Code - VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem

Folks:

I have had an E 90 code (VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem) pop up several times in the past month or so on my 91 ETC. The Service Manual is not a lot of help in terms of discussing the issue -- specifically, is this something serious? I had the transmission rebuilt about three years ago and I have not noticed any problems at all with its operation. If this is a sign of a real problem with the switch, would I notice it? It is an expensive issue to deal with? Any input would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the recluse is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: E 90 Code - VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem

Quote Originally Posted by EldoRedo91 View Post
    Folks:

I have had an E 90 code (VCC Brake Switch Signal Problem) pop up several times in the past month or so on my 91 ETC. The Service Manual is not a lot of help in terms of discussing the issue -- specifically, is this something serious? I had the transmission rebuilt about three years ago and I have not noticed any problems at all with its operation. If this is a sign of a real problem with the switch, would I notice it? It is an expensive issue to deal with? Any input would be appreciated!
    Not expensive at all. If you look under the dash, right above the brake pedal, you'll see a wiring harness that connects to a momentary push button switch. That's the switch that's bad. When the switch goes out, you'll have no brake lights which can lead to someone possibly rear-ending you.

$10 at the parts store.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Could be as simple as the brake light switch misadjusted. Put your foot under the pedal and lift up. If you hear a click or ratchet noise, you have now readjusted the switch. Erase the code and drive it. Application of the brakes disengages the VCC above approx. 40 MPH. if the switch is misadjusted or faulty or the wires to it are loose you will get a intermittant code. The brake lights should turn on with just a slight application of the pedal.

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Folks:

Bumping this in search of more information as I am still regularly getting the E90 code. I appreciate the above replies, but I am concerned this is more of a problem than just a switch -- and I am now somewhat doubtful it's the brake light switch above the brake pedal. It is true, however, that I have had to adjust the position of the brake switch in the bracket above the pedal to cure a problem with the brake lights not going out (!).

It's hard to find a definitive answer on the Web -- although I have found the following information:

The purpose of the TCC (torque clutch converter) is "to eliminate slippage in the torque converter, which in turn, improves fuel economy during cruise. This also reduces the heat produced within the torque converter, thuse extending the life of the transmission fluid."

"The VCC [Viscous Clutch Converter] clutch [found in post 86-Cadillacs] works the same way, except that it does not provide a 100 percent lockup between the engine and the transmission input shaft...When the VCC is applied, it allows about 20 RPM slippage at 60 MPH, just enough to eliminate some of the torsional vibration between the engine and the transmission. The viscous clutch lockup is controlled the same way as a TCC clutch, except that transmission fluid temperature plays a larger role in its control."

Another auto forum post advised:

"To check VCC you should drive at some constant 50 mph and with your right foot on gas pedal touch the brake pedal with your left foot slightly to engage the brake switch. Watch RPM on DIC it should jump some 100-200 rpm. If it happens your VCC works properly."

I did this and did not notice an RPM change.

So I'm thinking that this may be is a problem with a switch/solenoid inside the transmission? As I originally mentioned, the car seems to operate and drive fine; yet I hate to just keep clearing the code and pretending it's not a problem.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

There's a simple way to determine if the vcc solenoid is engaging:

Enter onboard dianostics
    View ECM DATA
    On the climate control display, watch for the rear defroster symbol to light up. If it lights, the vcc is engaging. If it doesn't light, it's not engaging.

Thanks -- I ran that test and the defroster symbol did not light -- which obviously seems to confirm the original code. But my questions are still:

1. Is this critical to get fixed? and
    2. Sounds like it means opening up the transmission ($$)?

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Your fuel mileage at higher speeds will suffer until it's fixed. It's probably a simple thing like a broken switch or a loose wire that will take longer to locate than to repair.

This test mentioned above must be done as you drive the car. I presume you did this.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

E039 should set rather quickly if the VCC does not physically engage.

DOH! I was so used to pulling codes while parked I didn't realize I needed to be moving to run the test drewsdeville suggested. I have now done so and the defroster symbol did not light up. On the other hand, I also did not get an E039 code. Thanks for all the help -- I'll try to get this resolved when I next visit my mechanic.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

To elaborate further, the VCC won't engage until cruising at or above 40 mph or so. Therefore, be sure to take it on a good cruise while checking.

I agree. Road speed and trans fluid up to temperature are required for the circuit to be complete.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Engine must be in closed loop also. (>160deg)

I installed a switch between the ECM and the solenoid on the ground lead. This way I can disable the VCC when I want. When the switch is off, I always get E039. I've never seen an E090 though.

OK I will check this during morning commute tomorrow. Thanks.

Update: ran this test this morning after about 30 minutes of driving above 60 MPH -- did NOT see the defroster light. Based on the comments, it seems like this is something that I might want to get fixed -- but is not critical. Thanks so much to all who replied.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.