Cold Air Intake?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cold Air Intake? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has a Cold Air Intake for their 4.5s or 4.9s? I haven't seen ...
    Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

Cold Air Intake?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has a Cold Air Intake for their 4.5s or 4.9s?

I haven't seen any only replacement performance air filters. Was curious to see if anyone had any custom intakes or if there are any bolt on options.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Cold Air Intake?

The stock intake system is already pulling in "cold air" from just behind the headlight. You can't get much better than what's already there.

If you want to gauge what kind of gains you'll get from a "low restriction" air filter, take your air filter out and take it for a drive.

Performance-wise, you'll gain nothing. The most you could gain is a louder intake sound, creating the illusion of more performance.

Oh ok, Is there any difference with using K&N or Spectre air filters? Right now I'm just using FRAM from Walmart. lol

AC Delco seems to be the best there, Do they make any that will fit the 4.5 or 4.9 intakes?

They sure do, that's what your car originally came with. Any local parts store should have them.

Any chance Amazon has it? I have a few bucks left over I need to spend in my Cart I will just order it now. If not I'll get the Spectre from them I guess.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Even though the stock Cadillac intake does take cold air in from behind the light, there is a significant amount of improvement that can be done to the stock air box design. For one, the stock intake necks down to about the size of a golf ball at the intake opening, and the accordion-flex piece built into the neck is extremely detrimental to airflow. Secondly, the incoming air charge has to make two 90 degree turns on its way to the throttle body. (Where the 4.9's real flow restrictions are would be the cast iron cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, but that's off topic.)

A member of this forum, Ghost C, used to make a very nice intake for these cars, but he doesn't really come around anymore. I've been trying to get one for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodya234 View Post
    Even though the stock Cadillac intake does take cold air in from behind the light, there is a significant amount of improvement that can be done to the stock air box design. For one, the stock intake necks down to about the size of a golf ball at the intake opening, and the accordion-flex piece built into the neck is extremely detrimental to airflow. Secondly, the incoming air charge has to make two 90 degree turns on its way to the throttle body. (Where the 4.9's real flow restrictions are would be the cast iron cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, but that's off topic.)

A member of this forum, Ghost C, used to make a very nice intake for these cars, but he doesn't really come around anymore. I've been trying to get one for months.
    Nice, Do you happen to have any pictures of the modifications?

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

There are no real modifications to the stock airbox that I know of, but I'm sure some could be done. This is a picture of Ghost C's intake, which is probably the best one available for these cars.

As you can see, it is much straighter and smoother than the stock airbox, which provides a decent amount of flow increase. Also, the evap canister has to be relocated a bit further down from its original position to accommodate the filter, but from what I understand all that means is you have to extend some wires.

I really wish you could still get these

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

the usual slow, double, saturday night post screwup..............

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Remember: The First Law of Modification is : Do No Harm.

Before you fall for the hype and sales pitches, do a dyno run before you change anything.

Then do your modification work, one step at a time, with dyno runs at each step.At any step, if you lose power (a real occurrence, and common) then go back and try again.

You'll find that the so-called "CAI power gains" are mere advertising hype designed to get into your wallet. Unless you're driving a highly tuned production line engine which must not only run like hell but also meet customer satisfaction goals you'll find that cutesy mods for our cars are eye candy - nothing else. If it only makes more noise (absent real dyno/drag times), it isn't faster - probably slower.

"But, Sub - I can't afford all that testing". Right, and the aftermarket hypers KNOW THAT.

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

A 4inch dryer pipe works real good as well then all you need is a filter. right now im designing a dual 4 in intake set up . don't know if it will help any thing but it will sure look cool

TK8411 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Deville

I improved my 4.9 stock air intake setup with some 3 inch pvc pipe, a 22 degree elbow, a velocity stack, duct wrap insulation and a K&N filter. Also relocated IAT sensor. I felt an improvement. MPG seem to be going up. The stock setup has a 1 7/8 inch opening. Materials cost me roughly 40 bucks but I got plenty of leftover pvc ancd insulation so I'm going to make a cold air intake for my sister's Buick.

Quote Originally Posted by TK8411 View Post
    I improved my 4.9 stock air intake setup with some 3 inch pvc pipe, a 22 degree elbow, a velocity stack, duct wrap insulation and a K&N filter. Also relocated IAT sensor. I felt an improvement. MPG seem to be going up. The stock setup has a 1 7/8 inch opening. Materials cost me roughly 40 bucks but I got plenty of leftover pvc ancd insulation so I'm going to make a cold air intake for my sister's Buick.
    Do you happen to have a picture of your setup or can you take some?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.