E49 code and possible solutions. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, E49 code and possible solutions. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well I guess I just check my codes too much! Recluse, the 4.9 doesnt have a smog pump. Just a ...
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: E49 code and possible solutions.

Well I guess I just check my codes too much! Recluse, the 4.9 doesnt have a smog pump. Just a bracket where it would have been had it been a 4.5.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

gotcha', thanks

Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

Ah so anyway just drove about 45 miles today with the vehicle running rough I made some modifications/improvements to see if the vehicle was running any different. Seems the same, still running rich and rough with engine hesitation.

But NOW, It just threw me a E48 code. I check my codes periodically and just noticed that code. I was so F'n pissed. I believe that's a EGR code. I was wondering if someone could eleborate more on the E48 and E49 codes what maybe the cause and effect is please. =)

Thanks again guys for all the help and support. I'm hoping to get the vehicle running to normal conditions someday with the help of you guys. =)

I would pursue the E48 first and foremost. OBD-I isnt very good. The computer performs tests on the EGR system while you drive and the test has to fail 5 times in one ignition cycle for the code to set. This has likely been the cause of your drivability issues and it just took this long for it to set a code.

Check the tubes inside the throttle body for carbon blockage first....

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten214 View Post
    I was wondering if someone could eleborate more on the...E49 codes what maybe the cause and effect is please. =)
    See posts #5,6 & 7...

Did you check for a vacuum leak? The same vacuum line that goes to your A.I.R. system diverter also goes to your EGR valve...I'm not saying it IS the problem, but it is where I would be looking first. That is the only common ground between both of these problems.

Now Drew gave a good explanation as to troubleshooting a code E49, although not in layman's terms

EGR systems can be complicated to diagnose without some test equipment, but as stated earlier, the vacuum lines run from the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve body and is where I would start first. It sounds goofy, but simple problems can cause symptoms of complicated problems and you only chase your tail until you realize it might be something stupidly small.

Other than that, like Sevillian said, you might want to rod out the tubes found in the intake manifold right below the throttle body. Open the butterflies and look down. You will see two rods that usually get clogged up with carbon return for the EGR system. Grab a wire clothes hanger, bend straight, and clean out those rods.

Check back...

Recluse, clear your PM box!

Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    See posts #5,6 & 7...

Did you check for a vacuum leak? The same vacuum line that goes to your A.I.R. system diverter also goes to your EGR valve...I'm not saying it IS the problem, but it is where I would be looking first. That is the only common ground between both of these problems.

Now Drew gave a good explanation as to troubleshooting a code E49, although not in layman's terms

EGR systems can be complicated to diagnose without some test equipment, but as stated earlier, the vacuum lines run from the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve body and is where I would start first. It sounds goofy, but simple problems can cause symptoms of complicated problems and you only chase your tail until you realize it might be something stupidly small.

Other than that, like Sevillian said, you might want to rod out the tubes found in the intake manifold right below the throttle body. Open the butterflies and look down. You will see two rods that usually get clogged up with carbon return for the EGR system. Grab a wire clothes hanger, bend straight, and clean out those rods.

Check back...
    Yea, I checked for vacuum leaks and had several people recommend that to me in person and they checked as well. All seems fine with that. I wish it was that easy. I might rather just replace the EGR valve and the Solenoid. Those parts are not that expensive. But then I'd probably still recieve a E49 code as well. I think that might be something different. I know I have a hole in my exhaust somewhere. I was quoted for 280 dollars to change out that part in the exhaust. Kind of out of my price range at the moment.

Yea I guess I kind of understand how the E49/A.I.R. system works. I'm still learning as much as I can about the vehicle. When I bought the car I knew nothing about them. Oh well atleast it runs for now.

caddynewby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

Interesting discussion. I'm having intermittent E49 error codes, no big deal but there is a very bizarre pattern. The code only comes up every few weeks when I drive for an extended period of time in slow moving traffic; I always clear the code and continue on. But here's the thing: whenever the code comes up, the dashboard becomes burning hot, even keeping my fingers for a second or two on the OFF and HIGH buttons to get the codes is hard to do. Very odd. Now, it could be the case that the screens are always very hot and I only find out when I need to clear the codes, but it seems to me that it's not always this hot when I use the climate control buttons.

Go figure!

I've also had stumbling issues, but only once or twice, again in slow traffic conditions.

Car is now in storage for the winter months, I'm hoping to fix this come the spring! Any ideas appreciated!

mwalichnowsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    The problem with that is what if something ELSE throws a code, something that is more serious, you'll never know and let it go. My STS SES light is on because the CAT has/is failed/failing. Now I'm stuck checking my DIC every other day in case something serious is showing up....

As a side note, where is the smog pump? When I rebuilt my 4.9 I didn't see one on there at all...
    Hello, I have a 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood myself. I have heard that the 4.9L motors did not have it. Instead there is a bracket and a smaller belt then the 4.5L. The system can be deleted on a 4.5L by using 4.9L bracket and closing the 3 connection points on the motor that it diverts air. It will not remove the engine light. That is a summary of what I read from another forum on this site.

I know your post is old but I would like to help others reading this forum to solve there problems. I love my caddy.

----------

My car is stumbling also. E49 code. Looking into the problem soon but it seems that after it warms up it does not switch and continues dumping in the exhaust manifold causing the car to run lean causing it to flood for seconds at a time mostly during in-town driving. It wastes a ton of gas now (for my car) at 22-26mpg hwy and around 12 mpg in town. Normally 34-38mpg hwy and 22-28 in town. P.S I don't have to e-test so I don't use my EGR system along with numerous upgrades to get that mileage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.