I replaced my tps and isc but it stall every now an then
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I replaced my tps and isc but it stall every now an then in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I replace both of them but it still stall every now and then it use to stall out when i ...
    Caddy_2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I replaced my tps and isc but it stall every now an then

I replace both of them but it still stall every now and then it use to stall out when i used to back the car out but it stall out out every now and then when i turn a corner driving

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Geno Castellano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: I replaced my tps and isc but it stall every now an then

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy_2004
    I replace both of them but it still stall every now and then it use to stall out when i used to back the car out but it stall out out every now and then when i turn a corner driving
    What car and engine?

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

what year, what car?

Caddillac eldraodo 1986 4.1 engine

How did you adjust the TPS and the ISC motor? Have you used the search feature on the forum to search using "idle speed control motor" or "ISC motor"? If not, do that and read about how to retract the ISC motor plunger manually and adjust it.

I had got my mechanic to do it for me but I had got the tps first then he adjusted it then a week later I got the isc and it was adjusted it seem like the the rod that move when u crank it up slack to the side and i have to push it up

These the code I get

E013 been replaced withe dealership oxy sensor cause bosh didnt work
    E047
    E052
    E053
    E055
    E059

The code for the ISC and TPS went out as soon as I install the sensor
    thank for helping me

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The idle speed motor must be retracted per the service manual then the gap between it and the throttle arm verified. If just bolted on and curb idle set, it could be incorrect. To properly diagnose and work on these fuel systems , you MUST have access to the factory service manual, not Chiltons, not HAYNES, the factory service manual. I have found these systems relatively easy to work on if the manual is used. If the TPS reference voltage is incorrect a fuel delay could occur, causing a bog or stall off idle. The manual is very specific about adjusting both TPS and idle speed motor at the same time. One references operation from the other.

E013 Been replaced with dealership oxy sensor cause bosch didn't work
    E047 BCM-ECM data communication problem
    E052 ECM keep alive memory reset (could be a simple battery disconnect)
    E053 Distributor signal interrupt
    E055 TPS misadjusted
    E059 VCC temperature sensor circuit problem

To set your ISC motor and TPS on your engine you need to warm it up, idle it and turn the AC off. Hold the throttle lever open to elevate the engine RPM to 2500 or so and, while holding the throttle open, depress the plunger of the ISC motor. When depressed it should retract as long as you hold pressure on the plunger and keep the RPM up. Once it stops, disconnect the wire connector to the ISC motor electrical connector without letting the ISC motor plunger move. Once the ISC motor plunger is retracted, release the throttle to idle. The engine should idle at 450-475 RPM and there should be clearance between the plunger and the throttle lever. If there's no plunger, and you're sure that the plunger is fully retracted, then screw the plunger in until there's clearance. Make sure the cruise link doesn't hold the throttle open - disconnect it if necessary. If the throttle is closed and the idle is above the 450-475 point then adjust the throttle stop screw to get the closed bore idle speed correct. Once adjusted, the TPS will need to be back probed and the set up voltage checked with a DVM. You're looking for .5 volts if it's adjusted correctly. Move the TPS until it shows .5 volts at the closed bore throttle setting. Once the TPS is set, adjust the ISC plunger so that there's about .020 clearance between the plunger and the throttle lever. Reconnect the cruise control link so that there's just a little slack in the cruise link while the throttle is still at the closed bore position. Now hook up the wire connector to the ISC motor. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 60 seconds and then reconnect. You should be good to go.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Question here...

my 4.9 ('93 DeVille) has a slight hesitation at idel... if I hit the gas from a stop, or even in park, for a split second she'll hesitate, then rev up... my father says the TPS is bad... yet there are no codes of any sort.... would the TPS cause this? is it something i should even be bothered about?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Question here...

my 4.9 ('93 DeVille) has a slight hesitation at idel... if I hit the gas from a stop, or even in park, for a split second she'll hesitate, then rev up... my father says the TPS is bad... yet there are no codes of any sort.... would the TPS cause this? is it something i should even be bothered about?

...hard to say. It could be but not likely as the TPS will set a code as it starts to fail almost always. I would check the EGR tubes for cleanliness. Have they ever been cleaned out? Also, check the fuel pressure with a gauge. Have the gauge on the rail when you step into the hesitation you describe so you can see if the fuel pressure is the problem. It should stay very steady when you tip into the throttle. If it drops then the pump may be failing and low on capacity. Did you check the fuel pressure regulator?

At first I was thinking the EGR tube was cleaned.. but that was my Olds... so for as long as I have had the car, the EGR hasn't been touched.... I havn't check fuel pressure either... I should get a pressure meter from the store...

...it only does it if it has been ideling.. if I hit the gas, let it idel for a second then hit it again, she'll rev right up... but if it has been idling for... say 20seconds or more... when I hit the gas there is a "blip" and then then the RPM comes up...

I know a little about a Cars but what is EGR TUbe

what is the best way to clean the EGR tubes as well?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.