Stainless steel exhaust, 90 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Stainless steel exhaust, 90 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a question for you guys, My owners manual (90 Deville) says that the exhaust pipes and muffler are ...
    daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

Stainless steel exhaust, 90 Deville

I have a question for you guys, My owners manual (90 Deville) says that the exhaust pipes and muffler are made of stainless steel. As a machinist I know the 1st test for stainless steel is to see if it is non magnetic. Well my exhaust is magnetic and it seems to have corroded to some degree. I guess I can not complain because it has lasted for 20 years, far longer than regular steel exhuast would last in central Ohio. I'm just wondering how Cadillac could get away with calling it stainless steel when seems that its not. I would also like suggestion as to the best replacement for my rusted out stainless steel exhaust system. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Stainless steel exhaust, 90 Deville

Anyone have any comments?? I guess I'll go to Autozone and get the elcheapo pipe and a $30 turbo muffler from Jegs. It was a rhetorical question anyway I guess.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Not all stainless steel in non magnetic. Im not sure if it is stainless or not but the piping on my 20 year old seville is still in pretty good shape. Since there is no aftermarket exhaust for our cars the best thing is to get custom job done at a muffler shop. Of course the most cost effective deal is to go with the El Cheapo.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

The factory exhaust was stainless. However, it's T 409, a very low grade stainless with less than 1% nickel and about 10% chromium. Over time, it doesn't hold up as well as higher grades of stainless, like T 304. Still, these Caddy exhausts seem to last quite a long time. I have a 190k 1989 Eldorado in my driveway right now with the original exhaust still hanging...and this is Wisconsin.

Thanks for the answers guys, I have to admit the Cad SS exhaust does last quite a while. I was wondering if there is a SS supplier, if there is its probably way to expensive for my 20 year old Deville. Elcheapo it will be with a coat of hi temp paint to make it last a little longer. The different grades of SS explain the confusion on my part.

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

I second the muffler shop idea.

Buddy of mine with a Riviera took it in to a place locally and it wasn't too costly and they did it up like the original.

My Seville is coming up on 26 years and only issue of rusting I have had to fix in the pipes is the flange on the cat just recently which they fixed with high temperature tubing.

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

if you want to drop some cash buts its $15 per foot
    http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...oducts_id=1265

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Like mentioned, the 400 series stainless is a bit magnetic. I had to have the exhaust cross-over replaced on the wife's Caddy a few years back. The pipe was fine yet, but the flanges rusted to a point that it leaked at the manifold joints. Kinda cheesy with SST pipes and plain steel flanges. It's replaced with a plain steel muffler shop piece, and I figure it will need another one in a couple of years.

Thanks again for the response. quins90lac the stainless exhaust supplier is sort of what I was looking for, I'm going to look that site over a bit. Don't know if I have the equipment to work with it not to mention the cash right now but very interesting. As others mentioned the exhaust on my 90 broke around the converter flange area, I was able to fit a sleeve and pull it together, its fairly solid but it does seem thin and will have to be dealt with sooner or later. A machinist should have realized there were different grades of SS as in other metals, guess I wasn't thinking!

before or after the converter. Mine keeps on breaking before the converter so i just put in a reducer and some flexible exhaust tubing. The tubeing usaly last about 2 years then it with rust out.

I think mine is just after the converter, I have a box of adaptors and sleeves that have collected over the years and was able to fit a sleeve with a little exhuast putty and clamps. Regular steel will rust out completely in 2 or 3 years on a daily driver parked out side here in central OH. The SS exhaust on the Caddy was one of the selling points for me. I just wonder how long true high quality SS would last, probably longer than the car. They really should use SS more on new cars particularly fuel lines with the high pressures of fuel injection.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Next time you need 'exhaust putty' try Permatex orange RTV. Good stuff.

Yeah i know i live in IL and let me tell ya the mid west is just hard as heck on cars. Right now I'm in the slow proses of trying to fix all the rust on my car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.