UGH watter pump gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, UGH watter pump gasket in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok i just found out today that my water pump gasket is leaking again. This is the 5th time I ...
    quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

UGH watter pump gasket

Ok i just found out today that my water pump gasket is leaking again. This is the 5th time I have replaced it now. I have tried it with RTV and with out RTV. Also have tried both blue and black RTV also the spray on. So my question no is is there a better gasket out other then felpro? Help me this thing is getting on my last nerve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: UGH watter pump gasket

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    Ok i just found out today that my water pump gasket is leaking again. This is the 5th time I have replaced it now. I have tried it with RTV and with out RTV. Also have tried both blue and black RTV also the spray on. So my question no is is there a better gasket out other then felpro? Help me this thing is getting on my last nerve
    How are you installing the water pump? You have to be VERY careful to make sure the gasket lines up PERFECTLY around the area where the 10mm bolts go through to the water inlet. You don't have much wiggle room here, the gasket really has to lay perfectly. That's the easiest area to mess up. This isn't where you are springing leaks, is it?

Is the timing cover or water pump warped? After 5 times, I'd check everything with a straight edge and make sure all mating surfaces are flat. All it takes is a little overtorquing and everything's bent. Gotta be careful with the sheetmetal materials that make up the timing cover, water pump, and water inlet.

Otherwise, maybe bring your felpro gasket dealer and ask to see a GM gasket. Compare the two and make sure the felpro gasket is shaped correctly. They should be EXACTLY the same. Sometimes the aftermarkets get them slightly wrong, though it's rare.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Yeah, I'm with Drew on this one. Having replaced a good 6 or so WP on 4.x engines, I've never had a go back. Check the WP and make sure it's straight.

That being said, however, a little RTV should fix just about anything.Do you coat both faces (water pump and block), let tack, and then apply gasket? What's your procedure?

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

All of the above advice is spot on but I would like to add that the FSM torque specs for my 90 Deville were way to high and caused distortion to the front eng cover. The Fel pro tech line (Fel pro is all that is left of aftermarket manufacturers apparently) told me to use generic torque specs and star washers or thread locker on the fasteners. If you have to remove the front cover I would suggest dropping the front (as opposed to the rt side) of the frame to allow more space to work on the front of the eng.

Its leaking at the top well back from the pump inlet I have already replaced the pump inlet . Im thinking about drying it off and putting some rtv at the leak sight and letting it dry over night.

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    Im thinking about drying it off and putting some rtv at the leak sight and letting it dry over night.
    That hardly EVER works. Once it has built pressure to the point it has forced a leak coupled with the fact you really can't clean the coolant off good enough...

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

What about a double gasket with RTV in between?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    What about a double gasket with RTV in between?
    Ugh, I'd be afraid to try something like that...

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Well hell he's done it 4 times already... maybe its time to start thinking outside the box? Maybe the water pump is harder than it looks? Ive never done one on a 4.x.

Im curious: Do all the bolts come all the way out of the front cover without hitting anything? With my coolant reservoir and battery removed they all appear to be pretty accessible.

All the bolts come off and there is 2 studs for alignment with nuts on them so you really don't have to hold the thing. It's very straight forward.

I will say this though, you should always tighten the pump from the center out, not the outside in, as you can buckle the pump possibly causing it to leak....

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    All the bolts come off and there is 2 studs for alignment with nuts on them so you really don't have to hold the thing. It's very straight forward.

I will say this though, you should always tighten the pump from the center out, not the outside in, as you can buckle the pump possibly causing it to leak....
    This is probity what Ive been doing wrong as i cant remember in what order i tightened the bolts and nuts in. Because the only other thing i can think of is that the mounting surfaces aren't smooth enough for the gasket to adhere to

UPDATE Found the solution cork gasket no RTV. Also got a new pump but the other was fine checked it out with a strait edge the inside looks fine as well. So i guess i got another pump if i ever need it.

Thanks for the update, it's always good to see if the advice given is sound or not and/or whether the problem was ever resolved.

Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Glad you found the problem. I was going to suggest you buy a sheet of extra thick cork gasket material and cut your own. However, I made gaskets with silicone sealant and minimal torque. You just need the patience to let it dry, then torque it down. For a while there, it was the only pan gasket in use on some of the 1980's GM cars. Remember when they went to a plastic oil pan on the RWD cars?

Glad you found a solution.

Wendy.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

A must when doing this pump! Its a small cordless ratchet from Florida Pneumatic #FP-105.

I told my Snap-On guy about this and he gave it to me at cost for $49 since I told him that Florida Pneumatic had deeply discounted these cordless ratchets but you must buy in bulk or have an account with them.

Florida Pnuematic was selling these in multiples at a deeply discounted wholesale rate, so he bought 10 and was selling them to local garages for $100. He was happy, and so was I since its a pain to take out those 20+ bolts/nuts!!!!!!! It even has a built in LED.

http://www.amazon.com/Florida-Pneuma.../dp/B000PUP2X0

Check e-bay or call Florida Pnumatic for dealers in your area and to see if they are still selling these off cheap in bulk..........maybe put a deal together like I did!

With regards to the leaking gasket, I'm wondering if his cooling system was overpressurizing? May need a new cap with the correct pressure rating.

I used Permatex spray gasket adheasive on both sides of the gasket and let it tack up. Permatex #80064
    http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...et_Sealant.htm

But if this has to come appart, the best gasket remover was from Permatex that has been discontinued per EPA but is still out there: Permatex #80646.
    http://www.permatex.com/products/Ind...et_Remover.htm

This stuff is very strong and burns the skin. Reminds me of paint stripper which it's probably simialar in formulation.........maybe a spray paint stripper will work also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.