Persistant Leaking - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Persistant Leaking in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Cork gaskets only have problems if they aren't installed properly or if they are the cheap ones. You shouldn't have ...
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Persistant Leaking

Cork gaskets only have problems if they aren't installed properly or if they are the cheap ones. You shouldn't have to dig through junk yards to get an original gasket you should be able to find one somewhere that's as good as the original or better.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Oh donít get me wrong; I donít have to scrounge the junkyard for a used gasket. My logic is simply this. For $2.00 entry I was able to simulate a transmission pan removal, check out the insides, and while I was at it a reusable OEM gasket would translate into a $10.00 savings. Also I spotted a pair of new front drive axles on the same car. Those puppies run 80 bucks each for remanuf units. My cost; a couple of hours labor to pull and $40.00 for the pair.

Hey recluse! What parts are you looking for?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Looking for interior parts, mostly; but it has to be the Oxblood interior...

When I dropped the pan this is what I found (see pic).
    What is that dk gray matter streaking the bottom?
    The unit had been flushed a couple yrs ago and the shop obviously reused the old gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    Looking for interior parts, mostly; but it has to be the Oxblood interior...
    I was at the yard today, I scored a pair of OEM axles, slighty used from the looks of them. The rubber boots were heaver rubber also.
    While I was out there I walked the yard and took a look for oxblood interior Eldo's. Didn't find any. There was a Seville through.

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    When I dropped the pan this is what I found (see pic).
    What is that dk gray matter streaking the bottom?
    The unit had been flushed a couple yrs ago and the shop obviously reused the old gasket.
    No one has ever seen this kind of sludge in the transmission Fluid? Come on!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Sorry, missed the updates on this thread. Am I one of the only ones left who regularly check this section of the boards?

The black "sludge" in the bottom of the pan is clutch material. It's typical to see some in the bottom of the pan; there will always be some as slipping clutches is what makes a smooth shifting trans.

That said, with the amount in your pictures, I'd say it's been a LONG time since the pan has been dropped. You say you got it FLUSHED a few years ago, but was the pan dropped for a cleaning and new filter?

Black clutch material is fine...what you don't want is any silvery color or metal flake mixed in there or metal chunks on the pan magnet, which could be representative of some severe wear and near-future problems. The magnet is there for really fine metallic material from the steel clutch plates and such, but there shouldn't be anything excessive. Anything stuck to the magnet is NOT clutch material as it's not ferrous nor magnetic.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Sorry, missed the updates on this thread. Am I one of the only ones left who regularly check this section of the boards?
    Yup.

Sometimes when I visit this section I hear crickets chirping.

I usually skip threads about cads earlier than '88.

I've never seen so much clutch material in a pan like that... Is there a magnet in there somewhere?

Hey Thanks Guy's for the reply.
    I really do not think the shop that performed the flush dropped the pan completly, just enough to change the filter, plus they reused the old gasket, which leaked.
    They were supposed to do a chasis lube as well. Right!!
    Every zerk under there took at least 5 pumps of grease the other day when I did it.
    If you want it done right! Right?
    Good to know about what should be and what shouldnt be in the bottom of that pan.
    Just some clutch sludge. Cool! I didnt find any metal at all in the fluid or metalic residue in the bottom of the pan. Also I didnt see any magnet in the pan when I droped it. Is there supposed to be one? I dropped a couple of pans at the salvage yard and saw no magnets there either.

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    While I was out there I walked the yard and took a look for oxblood interior Eldo's. Didn't find any. There was a Seville through.
    Thanks for looking and sorry I couldn't/didn't get back to you earlier, I've been remodeling a bathroom while my wife was out of town. I didn't think you'd find anything, but thanks anyway.

I'm with the other two on this one, that pan may have been dropped and the filter changed, but that tranny was not flushed. I find quite a few shops throw that phrase around but rarely do a full flush on a flushing machine; probably because it takes about 30 quarts to do it right.

And yes, there should have been a magnet in the bottom of the pan somewhere, mine was a small, rectangular, flat, magnet right in the middle of the pan.

No problim Recluse, I was cruzing the yard anyway. Bet your wife was happy when she returned to a new BR.
    The magnet, hemmmm, I've allready put everything back together, so do I need to drain and drop the pan just to place magnet, or since I found no metalic evidence in the old fluid can I not wory about it?

With as big an overhaul as I was doing to this bathroom, no it wasn't quite done when she got back, but she'll love it in the next week...

No I wouldn't drop the pan for a magnet at this point, but if you ever have to get in there in the future I would.

By the way the leak is no more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.