1990 Fleetwood fwd 4.5L Surges and looses power when warm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1990 Fleetwood fwd 4.5L Surges and looses power when warm in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I just was given a 1990 Fleetwood 4.5L Fwd sedan I picked it up in Washington state where I ...
    martinthereal6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

Exclamation 1990 Fleetwood fwd 4.5L Surges and looses power when warm

Hi I just was given a 1990 Fleetwood 4.5L Fwd sedan I picked it up in Washington state where I had to cut the catilatic converter off before the trip (to Texas) cause it was clogged I put in a straight pipe but did route the air hose from the emission system back into the straight pipe that had previously gone to the cat. Also did a fuel pressure test where it did fine. The car ran fine untill i got to some 100 degree weather were it started to surge at freeway speed and lose power. I then put octane booster in the car and it ran fine for another two full tanks then it did it again and the octane booster did not help anymore but it did help to drive the car below 90 degree weather (drove at night when cooler) but now I made it to Texas and the car now surges and loses power alot more but again only in the heat of the day at its worse I could not go above 35mph and at 35 it surged ALOT. I've since replaced the TPS unit, I replaced the fuel filter twice the second seemed clean but replaced anyway, dropped the fuel tank to find no loose baffles or debris, replaced the thermistat and flushed the radiator, I've also listened to all 8 injectors with a long screwdriver and they all seem to be clicking fine at idle, I've also taken the throttle body off and cleaned it, the power steering resivour does seem to push fluide out the cap sometimes while running but when i check it cold it is between the recomended cold lines on the dip stick, the only codes it displays is E40 and E49 I clear the pcm but they come back quickly. any help would be greatly appreciated Im running out of ideas! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

Re: 1990 Fleetwood fwd 4.5L Surges and looses power when warm

I have a 90 deville with a 4.5, I just put $2500 in parts into the dang thing. Just about everything has been replaced or checked and it is hardly drivable due to missing and a lack of power. I would advise you to junk it before you waste anymore money on it. I have had cadillacs all of my life, my first car was a 56 Coupe Deville and I am to the point now where I have given up on FWD cads. Good Luck... you will need it!

caddynewby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

A similar discussion is happening on the main forum, some are suggesting checking for cat back pressure: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ccelerate.html

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The pieces that broke up and plugged the cat are now in the muffler. Take a rubber mallet and hit the muffler. If you hear things rattling around das it!!

justin4yu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 2door sedan

i would buy a new napa premium vented gas cap sounds like your geting vapor lock in hot weather.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.