need to replace a couple fuel injectors, any advice before pulling the fuel rail, etc
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, need to replace a couple fuel injectors, any advice before pulling the fuel rail, etc in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have 2 injectors that need fixing. I've never pulled the fuel rail, any advice for a first timer? Looks ...
    primerib is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Deville

need to replace a couple fuel injectors, any advice before pulling the fuel rail, etc

I have 2 injectors that need fixing. I've never pulled the fuel rail, any advice for a first timer? Looks like I might have to pull the power steering pump on my 4.9L.

I'm going to unbolt the fuel rail and see if the injectors come up with it. Do the injectors come out with just a mild pull? Any other considerations before doing this?

I do know to lube the injectors before they go back in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: need to replace a couple fuel injectors, any advice before pulling the fuel rail,

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html Yes, you do have to unbolt the pump and move it upwards and to the left... And yes the injectors pretty much pop out of the manifold while attached to the rail. The rail itself is more than one piece and will be flimsy at the joints so be careful. The whole job is simply R&R. Just write down what you remove and reassemble in that order. It helps if you take detailed pictures first. I've done this 6 times so if you run into a snag just post...

Tools:

15mm deep/shallow
    9/32
    14mm
    1/4
    10mm
    5/8

Some pictures I took the first time I did it showing the p/s pump moved. Everything you see missing besides the alternator must be removed to get the rail off of the engine.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: need to replace a couple fuel injectors, any advice before pulling the fuel rail,

All of that dirt on the intake manifold in those pictures reminds me...Did you ever get those intake gaskets done? I remember you saying you were going to get on that due to a coolant leak. If so, how'd it go?

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    All of that dirt on the intake manifold in those pictures reminds me...Did you ever get those intake gaskets done? I remember you saying you were going to get on that due to a coolant leak. If so, how'd it go?
    I did it memorial day weekend. I'll update the thread soon.

well, I just replaced the injectors. I got a set of 8 new "OEM" ones on ebay for $125. they are a hair shorter than the ones I pulled out of the caddy, but they work.

engine vibration is now gone (motor was missing from dead injectors), fuel mileage is up again, running great.

FYI, I found that the stethescope technique helped me figure out I had a couple bad injectors.

Excellent What Ebay store did you get them from?

Oh, I got the set from E Car online:
    http://stores.ebay.com/ECarOnline

I was just wondering because I got a set of oem allante injectors on Ebay that were horrible. 5 of 8 units leaked. I didnt get them from E Car, I forget the username....

so the o-rings leaked? brutal. hopefully the seller refunded your money.

No, they leaked fuel internally and I couldnt prove it until months later when I made a flowbench to test them. $130 down the drain.

now I'm curious. what made you suspect that the injectors leaked internally? what where the symptoms?

Stumbling, hesitation, extended cranking on startup. I was working near the TB one day when I heard a hissing sound from inside. I let the pressure out of the fuel rail and the hissing stopped. A month later I put them on my bench tester and watched them drip fuel. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...est-bench.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.