HT4100 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Can anyone advise me about exhaust manifold gaskets on the HT4100 engine. We are changing the head gasket on an ...
    bentleyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville

Question HT4100 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Can anyone advise me about exhaust manifold gaskets on the HT4100 engine.
    We are changing the head gasket on an 85 Seville, the exhaust manifolds are fitted as standard according to the workshop manual without gaskets but the gasket set includes them. Should we use them or not, any other tips and advice on this issue would be much appreciated as I am in the UK so can't ask my local garage!
    Regards,
    Geoff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: HT4100 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

It has been decades since I've replaced the head gaskets on my '85 Eldo and can't remember, bit if there is gaskets on it when you remove the manifold, replace them. If there isn't, don't.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Yes, like Ranger said, if there were none, DO NOT use them.

I made this mistake on my first 4.X head gasket job. I used the gaskets and after some time, the gasket surfaces on the heads and manifolds pitted/corroded.

THe head and manifold surfaces are machined very flat and are made to be used without gaskets. As long as the mating surfaces are in good shape, just bolt them on.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

It's typical for gasket sets to include exhaust gaskets, which most people don't use. And the pitting of the parting surfaces is a good reason not to.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Simply lay a straight edge on the manifold surface. Can you slip a .005 inch feeler gauge between the straight edge and the manifold. If you can, use the gaskets. If not, dont. They are in the sets because 25% of the time exhause manifolds warp once removed.

bentleyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville

Thank you all for your advice, the heads are fine so we will check the manifolds
    as suggested and hopefully we wont need to use them.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I had to replace a cracked exhaust manifold on my 90 Seville 4.5. I located a replacement at my local u-pull yard and found no gasket upon removal of the donor manifold. My books are ambilivant concerning gasket or no gasket, refering to using a paste, but when I removed the one from my car I found a gasket. So I bought a new gasket and installed it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.