Fuel Pump runs, but car won't start!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Fuel Pump runs, but car won't start! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; A few weeks ago replaced fuel pump and fuel sending unit on a 83' Seville, because the car would not ...
    83ville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 83 Seville

Angry Fuel Pump runs, but car won't start!

A few weeks ago replaced fuel pump and fuel sending unit on a 83' Seville, because the car would not start at all. Car started and ran well for a few weeks, but now the car starts when it wants to. Checked the codes and seeing E19 (Fuel Pump Curcuit High). I don't know what this means, so I called a caddy dealer and they said it may be a bad fuel pump, so I replaced it with another new one today and the problem still exists. I read on another thread where someone else had the same code, but they had also had code E22 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit. Could this cause problems with fuel not reaching the fuel injectors on top of throttle body? Any suggestion would be helpful. Plus what does code E19 mean?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: Fuel Pump runs, but car won't start!

If it was the TP Sensor, it should throw a code as such.

If you have an E019 that is a shorted Fuel Pump Circuit, possibly a bad ground, crimped wire, or faulty harness connection.

Are you sure you have fuel at the injectors? Crack the fuel line connection and turn the ignition to "on" and see if fuel seeps out...the pump may not be make it that far...

Smile Re: Fuel Pump runs, but car won't start!

Thanks for your help Recluse,

Worked on the car today and it turned out to be one of the wires on the harness connectors was taped together with electrical tape and ended up falling off after we dropped the tank for a third time. After fixing the faulty wire, the car started right up.

After a few weeks of trying to figure out what the problem was with the car not starting . We thought we had the car fixed earlier in the day, but noticed that it would only start when the car was jacked up in the air from the rear (bleeding the rear brake lines), when the car was down on all four tires the car would not start. But it turned out to be a faulty harness connection.

The recluse,

I took the car to a guy who works on the electrical wiring of cars. After messing around with car, the code disappeared, but the car still would not start. The problem turned out to be a bad ignition module which interfered with the spark plugs and the fuel injectors. I also had to replace the distributor cap. So hopefully that is the end of my problems and I can get the car will be ready to for "The Dream Cruise" here in Michigan this weekend.

Thanks for your help,

83ville

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

No problem, hope the car stays running

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.