Transmission acting funny - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Transmission acting funny in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: Transmission acting funny

[QUOTE=83CADMAN;2300084]OTG! Its not the Transmission. Have chased the gremlins thru the inginition and into the engine management system, cornering it at the ICS.QUOTE]

It appears that the "closed throttle" switch inside the ISC is dirty/broken causing the plunger not to retract. The fact that I went thru 2 junkyard units and both were bad is not surprising. A new one cost $130.00 and a repair kit is available for $30.00. I think I’ll tear into one and see what’s what. Once repaired, I'll try the adjustment again. I'll post results. Thanks for the guidance my friends.

Maybe I spoke to soon. I disassembled the original ISC I had previously removed. I found no mechanical issues within the ISC, ie: broken gear, burnt/corroded contacts etc. Running a continuity test indicated the switch contacts were OK and that the switch functioned properly.
    I repeated the test on the junkyard ISC and it tested OK.
    NOW WHAT?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I see no further posts regarding ISC adjustments nor shift lever bushing inspection. Did 83 CADMAN expire?? Did I waste my time posting adjustments? and inspections?

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    I see no further posts regarding ISC adjustments nor shift lever bushing inspection. Did 83 CADMAN expire?? Did I waste my time posting adjustments? and inspections?
    Still kicking carnut, Thanks for your concern.
    I did inspect the shift bushings and they are in good shape. I had replaced them about 3 years ago. Its shifting smooth and the fluid is good.
    I think I’ve eliminated the transmission as the problem.
    The internals of the distributor were fried!
    During the process, I needed to connect a tach in order to monitor the RPM’s.
    Well dummy me, I couldn’t locate the terminal and started a new thread “Where do I connect Tach”. That’s where The ISC and the TPS discussions were continued.
    The findings were: If you disconnect or adjust the TPS, the ISC will also need to be adjusted, and that the air cleaner must be installed in order to property warm the engine to operating temperature. The manifold air temp sensor output data can be compromised, causing the ISC to remain in cold start position. The plunger won’t retract in this situation, preventing adjustment to the ISC.
    Once I warmed the engine (with air cleaner installed) the ISC & TPS adjustments were successful.
    Thanks carnut.
    I am just so happy it wasn’t the Transmission.
    On to other problems see other thread

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    I wouldn't jump straight to tranny, it might be something simple like TPS
    ARRGGGG!!! IM BACK
    After chasing through the TPS/ISC issues and replacing Dist parts, plugs and wires Now the engine runs sweet like its suppose to, eliminating engine malfunction as the cause of the intermittent shudder, similar to a crossed plug wire misfire, described in my original post.

I’ve had the car in storage since last summer when I performed all the work until I got tired and started focusing on other things. Now I’m thinking about it again with spring a coming.

In another thread I started, “Persistent Leaking” I replaced the transmission pan gasket and found no magnet in the pan, just black and gray sluge.

The Problem:
    When I put it in gear, forward or reverse, there is an intermittent shudder emanating from the transmission. It’s more pronounced when the brakes are applied.
    Damit! This is where I started.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.