Transmission acting funny - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Transmission acting funny in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: Transmission acting funny

After test-driving the code ď60Ē didnít return. While sitting in park the engine ran smooth but as soon as I applied the brakes the engine started to run rough, a hard miss, like I lost a cylinder or two, just like when I put it in drive or reverse. The car drove and shifted fine, on acceleration through, again with the rough miss. any Ideas? Oh Ya the TPS tested good, (0.5v closed/4.5v @wot)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

That little bit of info just gave us the real problem I think.

The engine ran rough when you applied the brakes. If you think about it, the same thing happened in your earlier post as well since you step on the brake when you shift into reverse or drive.

I'm betting on a leaking brake booster. The low vacuum that this creates is probably causing your other drivability symptoms

Trouble code 60 implies problems in the cruse control circuit. Isnít the cruse control vacuum influenced?
    Wouldnít the brakes be affected if the booster was bad?
    I agree vacuum is the culprit.
    Needle in the haystack time.

Well, you can try inducing the code 60 again if you want.

I still don't have a service manual, but I'm pretty sure code 60 sets when the driver sets the cruise control but the transmission pressure switch indicates that the car is in park or neutral. When the code is set, the cruise is disabled.

Usually this code comes in a pair with code 91, for a PRNDL switch problem. Just to be safe, you should double check that the PCM signal for the PRNDL switch is correct. It could either be bad or misadjusted. However, since there is no code 91, it's probably fine.

Either this code was set accidentally by you physically bumping the cruise while in park or neutral (most common) or the pressure switch is actually bad. Take the car for a ride and try setting the cruise, see if the code sets again.

The cruse control disengages sometimes after the engine is at top temp and wont activate until the next time the car is driven. Itís been an intermittent issue for a while now. Also the last diagnostic, running through the switch test, step #5 ďshift the transmission lever into reverse and then into park and observe code .7.5.Ē took a few times before it displayed the switch OK code.

Would a bad pressure switch cause internal pressure to increase causing fluid seepage at the axel dust seals?

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post

Would a bad pressure switch cause internal pressure to increase causing fluid seepage at the axel dust seals?
    No, it won't cause that, but it's most likely whats causing your cruise control problems.

I'm not finding anything in my books regarding a pressure switch. Is it inside the transmission? Is it something I might be able to replace?

Well out of frustration I went back to square one trying to figure out what the hell.
    1. The spark plugs. All 8 were in good condition with no re-gapping required. (I replaced them a while ago)
    2. The distributor. The cap was shot, full of carbon, center pin gone! And the terminals corroded. The rotor still had a batch number stamp on it? Factory? Replaced with new OEM along with new cables.
    3. Test drive. Started right up, still idled rough, ran worse after reaching operating temp. Surging and then Stalling.
    4. Check for codes. NO CODES! Hmmm
    5. Check EGR. Some carbon but moved freely. A hand vacuum pump test showed good.
    6. Check vacuum hoses. All in good shape and property routed. (I replaced them a while ago)
    7. Check throttle body to manifold seal. Was able to get about 1/8 turn on two and almost half a turn on the third.
    8. Check ICS. Operational.
    9. Check PVC. Operational.
    10. Check air horn damper. Operational.
    11. Check TPS. I had checked this recently and was OK, but I re-tested it again with using a new multi-meter. This time the readings showed .5 volts on the idle and 3.9 volts at full throttle. Recommended is 4.5 volts at full throttle.

This is where Iím stuck! I cant seem to locate a replacement TPS for the 83 model. I searched my local U-Pull yard and found 4-84 HT4100ís. The TPSís are different, the harness plug pins are reversed and mounts vertical rather than horizontal.
    Until I can locate one Iím unable to test drive. Although I did locate a major ignition problem as well as a loose throttle body, Iím sure Iíll see improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    O.K. I've looked in the books and find no ref to a "Idle Speed Controller". Is it a solonoid or something? Where is it located?
    oh! Duh! There it is,

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    I wouldn't jump straight to tranny, it might be something simple like TPS
    ehall! The TPS along with fried cap and rotor as well as a loose TB. Thanks for setting me thinking in the right direction.
    Now the idle is to high, probabley the reason it ran at all in the first place.
    Next step! Adjusting the ISC...

I backed off the ICS as far as it can go and my idle is still way to high,,
    and when I try to put it in gear it stalls. I can detect no misses or roughness.
    Any Ideas my fellow Caddy lovers?

You did adjust the TPS correctly, right?

There is a contact switch inside the ISC that indicates a closed throttle. If it's dirty/broken, the engine won't idle down because it doesn't know that you are off the throttle.

The ISC is easy to open up, clean and re-lube...

Loosen the two screws; connect (pos) test lead to blue and (neg) to gray. Rotate sensor slightly to adjust. At zero throttle, set to .5 volts and approx 4.5 volts at full throttle.

I was able to get .5v / 4.4v respectively. The sensor I’m using is a salvaged one, (jobber’s want 80 bucks for new one).

I also hooked up a timing light and the mark is aligning with the 10 deg point on the plastic tag.

I’m not seeing any action from the ICS other than about 4 pulses when the key is first turned.

OTG! Its not the Transmission. Have chased the gremlins thru the inginition and into the engine management system, cornering it at the ICS.
    Thanks for the help fellas.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I presume the ten degrees seen was with the green connector unplugged behind the distributor? 4 pulses means the ISC is misadjusted and is searching for the proper opening angle of the throttle. The ISC is the most misunderstood item on this engine! With the engine running and the throttle held slightly open, push down forcefully on the ISC shaft and keep applying pressure till it fully retracts, bottoms, within the unit. Then QUICKLY unplug the wires to the ISC. Then gently lower the throttle arm. It should be barely running somewhere around 400 to 450 RPM. Then with a .060 inch feeler gauge placed between the throttle arm and the ISC shaft adjust the arm to get that .060 inch gap. Shut off the engine reconnect the harness to the ISC. wait 10 seconds and restart the car. The code related to the cruise control and the gear shift out of position is usually related to worn out and/or missing shifter linkage bushings. Most common at the shift lever at the trans itself. Too much play in the shifter rods and cross shaft above the driver side exhaust manifold will cause faulty readings on the back up light switch and cruise control intermittant operation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.