Anyone done a 4100 head gasket replace?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Anyone done a 4100 head gasket replace? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a real nice '85 Deville that I am about to do a head gasket repair on. I have ...
    ShadeTreeJack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville

Anyone done a 4100 head gasket replace?

I have a real nice '85 Deville that I am about to do a head gasket repair on. I have done cylinder head repair in the past, but struggle with the rear bank on FWD cars. Just wondering if anyone has pics or advice. It IS the head gasket, I will go through the gory details if you wish...overheated, white smoke out the tailpipe, exhaust gas out the coolant cap. need I say more? I will post my progress. - won't be starting for a couple weeks. My son's fwd car needs a clutch. my wife's GM 3.4 L minivan needs a intake gasket - wow there's a surprise ( NOT)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: Anyone done a 4100 head gasket replace?

I don't know anybody that has done it successfully. The one person I know of that tried stripped the threads in the aluminum block and ended up replacing it with a junkyard donor.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

I haven't done a 4.1, but I have done 2 4.9's.

First time I didn't know what I was getting into and stripped the threads on the final torquing stage. The 6 highest torqued (90 ft/lbs?) bolts are on the "upper" (closest to lifter valley) rows of headbolts pulled and I chose only to repair those threads as the other holes felt fine. That was entirely possible in the car, no problem. Not exactly the preferred method, but that engine held fine and ran well till the car was totalled.

On the next one, I didn't take any chances and pulled the engine to repair all bolt holes, since I wasn't sure I could do it in the car.

I'm really not sure if you can do the rear bank while the engine is in the car. I really never tried it. Either way, good luck.

trm
    trm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87' deville

Lightbulb Re: Anyone done a 4100 head gasket replace?

March 2012 010b.jpg

Attempting my first HG repair, feeling pretty ambitious. I ordered new cylinder heads for about three hundred bucks. New head, manifold and valve cover gaskets cost 120 and change. Just waiting for my thread inserts to arrive and I can begin the reassembly process.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

You might want to take each lifter out and inspect the cam lobes before you go any further. How does the distributor gear look? One more thing, who's thread inserts are you using? Good luck on the head job and let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.