rebuilt HT 4100 no oil up top or oil pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, rebuilt HT 4100 no oil up top or oil pressure in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a remanufactured HT4100 long block noil oil pump how ever i did not prim the pump i have ...
    85caddyeldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 eldorado

rebuilt HT 4100 no oil up top or oil pressure

i have a remanufactured HT4100 long block noil oil pump how ever i did not prim the pump i have started the car and let it run idle for only about a minute tops a little clacking but bone dry up in the top of the lifters ????no one i call will even call me back about this problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Re: rebuilt HT 4100 no oil up top or oil pressure

I don't remember if the pump can be primed with the distributor removed. My manuals are at the shop. But if you remove the spark plugs so that the engine turns easier, you might try getting it to prime that way, and with the plugs removed, there's no compression pressure on the bearings.
    There is likely assembly lube in the bearings, which should be OK for turning the engine for a bit to prime it.
    Once it's running, if it wasn't run-in at the rebuilding place, you need to break the cam in. 2000 rpm for at least half an hour, or the cam and lifters will get trashed. DON"T LET IT IDLE !!

i have a 1985 remanufactured HT4100 long block noil oil pump how ever i did not prim the pump i have started the car
    and let it run idle for only about a minute tops a little clacking but bone dry up in the top of the lifters ????no one i call will even call me back about this problem please help me ( car starts up and runs , has a little clagking know noise but no oil pressure / oil in top of lifters??

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Did you get that running OK yet??

Re: rebuilt HT 4100 no oil up top or oil pressure (fixed)!!!!!!

yes ,i took the distribitur out and primed the pump real good untill all oil galleys were oozzing out oil then put all back together and started up and oil pressur is a little ofer 25 psi idle and moves up when u hit the gas and the clattering knoking sound is gone and it runs and sounds smooth, what about adding anti freeze to a new motor do i just pour into radiator??

PIMED THE PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86sedandeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac De Ville

I recently bought what was supposed to be a "preped long block" (ht4100) for my '86 deville, from a supplier online when it arrived at my house i was supprized to see a junk yard pull as the engine i ordered. As an aspiring tech, i decided that it could be a good learning experience to go through the engine and rebuild it. i now have an engine that runs great but has a knock with no oil on top of heads or on Rocker assembly i have plenty of oil pressure as i took oil filter off to check pressure. Why no oil on top???????????

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

You have an oil galley that runs along your lifters, from there it travels through the lifter through the pushrod to the rocker arm.

86sedandeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac De Ville

Yes but they were all clean and clear when i put it back together

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by 86sedandeville View Post
    I recently bought what was supposed to be a "preped long block" (ht4100) for my '86 deville, from a supplier online when it arrived at my house i was supprized to see a junk yard pull as the engine i ordered.
    Oh man! Thats gota hurt.
    I spotted an ad in a local auto rag for a N*. The picture showed the engine on the floor and the line of BS stated it was low mi, 300 HP, all alum. $1500. What??? I called and got some goober who struggled answering my questions, couldnt tell me what year it was out of. No way to confirm anything without tearing into it. My guess is H/G's. Better odds at the wrecking yard.
    Buyer beware.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.