Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; She's a 1993 FWD Fleetwood Sixty Special. Ultra MINT, show car, with exactly 10,002 miles on her, or about 50 ...
    Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body

She's a 1993 FWD Fleetwood Sixty Special. Ultra MINT, show car, with exactly 10,002 miles on her, or about 50 miles a week, since new.
    She has begun to "smoke" a light grey color outta her tailpipe, upon cold start-up. She will continue to do this until the engine reaches normal opperatiing temperture. If idling and not driven, this takes between 10 & 13 minutes, and then no more smoke. There is a foul oder while it's "smoking" which completely goes away after that above time lapse. She drives beautifully, and never shakes nor wants to stiall. I filled her (took 1/2 a tank with Exxon Supreme 93 grade - but that did not help. She is due for an oil change & filter. any ideas what's "cooking" ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body

Sometimes letting an engine sit is just as or more harmful than accumulating miles.

When an engine isn't run very often, the top end of the motor can dry out and cause leaky valve stem seals. They get brittle, break, crack, and don't seal well against the valve stem. This is true of most cars at that age, but especially true when they are that low of mileage.

When this happens, oil drips down (from the last time it was run) onto the top of the valve and gets burned next time the engine is fired up. When that oil gets burned up, the smoking stops until next time it's shut down and oil leaks by the seals again.

The problem is something that happens with age, not mileage. It generally isn't harmful, as long as it's not enough to foul out spark plugs. I'm guessing yours is minimal since you say it runs smooth.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Does the smoke smell like oil?

the smoke smell like oil?

No, Ranger, it smells like the smell of an old car's backfire.

While she is smoking, there is water droplets dropping outta the tailpipe. Both that & and stinky light grey "smoke" coming out of the tailpipe totally stop at 14 minutes of running. they both start IMMEDIATELY upon start-up after NOT being run for 5 or more hours

The water droplet are most likely just normal condensation in the exhaust as the car warms up.

I'm still thinking valve seals.

However, few items in your description also point at a rich condition, mainly the grey color and bad smell. The problem is I don't see how the car could run rich when cold, as the car runs off standard fuel mapping until the o2 sensors are ready and the pcm goes into closed loop. As with others, I guess leaking fuel components could be the cause, but usually that clears up within a few seconds, not 15 minutes. Unless, that is, something is constantly leaking by like a stuck injector or something.

You could give it a shot anyway. Start off easy by checking the fuel pressure regulator for fuel in it's vacuum line.

Could old fuel in the tank cause this? The fuel is about 2 years old, but I added 5 gallons to it, when I had her out, 3 weeks ago. Still does the light grey smoking trick. I want to try this, first.
    Take her out and onto the interstate. Drive her about 20 miles (10 down / 10 back at 60 MPH and then back to her storage garage. Wait 2 days and go start her & see what she does.
    The Caddy dealers are few & far between and the one I used only once before to fix the trunk pull-down is very very expensive. If I HAVE to go to them, then I will....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The fuel is about 2 years old, but I added 5 gallons to it, when I had her out, 3 weeks ago.

2 year old gas??? Really???

I didn't know that, I'd definitely start there.

You can't let that car sit there like that, it's going to deteriorate FASTER than if you just drove it every now and then. Who knows how much water is in the tank from 2 years of condensation occuring...if it gets extreme enough, you are going to get failing fuel system components.

If you are that anal about mileage, I'd recommend you drain that tank and refill it with fresh fuel and some Stabil

I'd also recommend you at least run 2 tanks of gas through it every year.

Low mileage isn't even something to pride yourself on. Low mileage means nothing when the car went to hell from sitting there. Age kills a car, not mileage. You can't eliminate the aging process but you can help keep it in shape by driving it more frequently. I'm not saying you have to put 10,000 miles on it per year, but you have to drive it more than that.

Besides, it's a car, it's made for driving. If you aren't driving it and enjoying what it was made for, what's the point of having it?

Sounds exactly like you & my wife were speaking !!!

SOooo, I will take her out, and go down the Garden State Parkway for 10 miles around 60 MPH and back the 10 miles and back into storage. Wait 1 day and go over there and start her up, and then report the finding, here.
    IFnot raining this Sunday, I will do it this Sunday & we will take it from there, and by the way, THANKS !

Here: http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

Drewsdeville, it's not the mileage on her, it's the fact that there are no NOS parts for 1993s, ans especially for the 60 Special, of which were 1% of total 1993 Caddy production, and the last year for the Sixty Special. 1938-1993.
    This is New Jersey, home of the spoert of tailgating, and cutting off and especially speeding 40 MPH in 25MPH zones. Nearly every car older than 2 years old is damaged. To be 100% honest, I am scared to death to take her out. If they don't bump/hit her, when ya park, they will door ding you and if you park far away to prevent that, they will steal your wheel centers and / or your fender skirts, or yank off your hood emblem.

A friend with a 1992 Eldo took it out to dinner with his Mom and they were inside eating for (he says) under 45 minutes. When they returned he had lost a hood emblem AND had a small verticle scratch on his driver door, from the car next to him. It was the 1st time the car had been out, since last October (2009). They all own/drive honda/toyo and they are leased and not theirs and are just "Transportation" and in 30 months they get a new one.....'Ya know, "it's JUST a car" ..... is their motto.....

That is why I don't take her out. Ya know SOMETHING is gonna happen, you just do not know when, when driving or when parked.

I understand that, but also understand that none of that matters when the car falls apart mechanically from everything drying out and sitting in 2+ year old gas. Your current problems could be just the beginning of a royal nightmare if you don't use that car as intended. You don't have to use it as a daily driver, but it may be to your advantage to use it more than you have been.

If you are living in fear for that car, it can't be enjoyable to worry about it all the time.

If you want to own something that's pretty to look at, there are lots of collectible art pieces out there. A 1993 Deville (or any car at all) is not for looking at, it's for driving and enjoying it's mechanical ability.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

^^^^Agreed^^^^

I never did understand the fascination with paying a lot of money for something you NEVER use. Think of all the money wasted on registration and insurance

Drews right though, your troubles just beginning with a car that does nothing but sit...

CONVINCED !!!!

Sunday Morning, 9AM she is going out, and down the New Jersey Garden State Parkway (65MPH speed limit) for 20 miles south and then 20 miles back north, home. She idels super smooth and is extremey quiet.

She has 12 gallons in her. Should i do the ride with that, or top it off? I seem to think not to top it off, just yet. What say the experts?

PS/ Wife says thank you for telling him to use the XXXX thing!!

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Don't you have some other cars in storage too? If so, you should do the same to them...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

My advice to the 90-yr-old neighbor who doesn't drive much is don't park with more than half a tank, that way you are always able to add fresh gas when you take it out again

As to the original question you might be looking at intake gasket problems, it's pretty common with these engines

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.