Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by drewsdeville And where does gasoline, premium or regular, "carbon up" any engine, performance or not, when it ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: Opinions on my very special '93 FWD C-Body

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    And where does gasoline, premium or regular, "carbon up" any engine, performance or not, when it runs correctly?
    He's talking motorcycles, of which I work on them also. Motorcycle tuning is more art than science. In a motorcycle you are generally better off running a carb too rich than too lean, so most that tune them do. If you run the motor "granny" style the cylinders, heads, plugs, and pipes, can carbon up pretty quick (especially on a high rev engine). You HAVE to burn them out occasionally.

That said, in a car that is computer controlled with every aspect of tuning sensored to death, no you shouldn't have carbon buildup. However, the Northstar is one such engine that must be "blown out" on a regular basis....

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I always use premium, in all my cars.

Re: Opinions .. HEADS UP / CONCLUSION

TODAY WAS CADDIES DAY AT THE DEALER
    HERE'S WHAT SHE GOT
    1. A 30 MILE RIDE AT 40-50 M.P.H. ROUND TRIP
    2. A NEW FUEL FILTER
    3. OIL CHANGE
    4. OILFILTER AND AIR FLITER
    5. CHASSIS LUBE
    6. COOLING SYSTEM FLUSH
    7. NEW ANTI FREEZE
    8. ROAD TEST
    9. MY TRACTION CONTROL & ANTI SLIP DASH LIGHT
    WAS STAYING ON. NEEDING A NEW SENDING SWITCH
    THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM.
    10. AND SOME SOLINOIDE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CAUSING THE SMOKING
    11. ON WAY HOME I WAS FINALLY DOWN TO 5 GALLONS, SO I PUT IN
    10 GALLONS OF SUNOCO 260.

THE SMOKING IS TOTALLY GONE. SHE RUNS LIKE NEW.
    4 TECHS CAME OUT WITH THEIR CAMERAS ANS WERE TAKING PHOTOS OF HER EXTERIOR & INRTERIOR. ALL WERE IN LOVE. 3 CUSTOMERS WERE CHECKING IT OUT, AS WELL. ALL COMENTED ON MY N.J. LICENSE PLATE
    "60 SPCL"
    IT WAS A VERY VERY VERY LONG WAIT. WE WERE THERE FROM 9AM UNTIL 1:30 pm. THE WIFE WAS CLIMBING THE WALLS. I WAS JUST TIRED.

IT COST OVER $600 DOLLARS, BUT THEY GAVE ME A BEREAK AND CHARGED ME $430.00 NICE PEOPLE, HOSPOTAL CLEAN SHOP AND VERY BUSY.

SHE RUNS LIKE A SCOLDED CAT AND LOOKS LIKE MISS AMERICA.
    I WAS STILL AFRAID THAT SOME NUT WOULD HIT HER. DRIVING THE 22 MILES HOME. THE LITTLE FOREIGN CARS ALL SPEED AND WEAVE IN & OUT AND OBEY ONLY THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, NOTHING ELSE. CADDIE IS BACK IN HER STORAGE PLACE, NAMED "CAR-CONDO".
    THANKS TO ALL FO GUIDENCE. I WILL TAKE HER OUT AGAIN...SOON !!!!!!!
    SANDY

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

So what solenoid went out in the fuel system? Egr solenoid or the canister purge solenoid?

I think EGR
    Also condinsation in the fuel line

I took her out, this past Sunday AM at 6:05 AM and took her for another 20 mile run, on a 4 lane with a 45-50 Speed limit. I took her about 12 miles south & then back 12 miles north - like 24 miles at 50 M.P.H. She performs as new.
    I witnessed no smoking at all. In the 24 miles I saw several old cars doing the same thing I was doing, including a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - flawless looking and a 1962 Chrysler 300 Hardtop Coupe
    We drive while the rest of the world sleeps.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    ...We drive while the rest of the world sleeps.
    hopeless

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I found the following information concerning storage in a 1971 G.M. Cadillac shop manual. Perhaps the procedures can apply to the newer cars.

Car Storage Preparation – 30 Days or less.

1. Wash car and inflate tires to 40 pounds pressure.
    2. Provide proper cooling system protection.
    3. Run engine until completely warmed up; then drain and refill with fresh oil per G.M. specifications.
    4. Run engine again with fresh oil until completely warmed up; drive car to storage area. Do not restart again until end of storage period.
    5. Be sure parking break is in released position and car is on level surface.
    6. If the car is stored in a hot area, the fuel tank, lines, pump, filter and carburetor should be drained.
    7. Disconnect battery and prevent from discharging or freezing by keeping it fully charged.

Car Storage Preparation – 30 Days to 12 Months.

1. Wash car.
    2. Run engine until completely warmed up; then drain and refill with fresh oil per G.M. specifications.
    3. Run engine again with fresh oil until completely warmed up; drive car to storage area. Run engine at 2,000 rpm in neutral and pour oil into the carburetor. After about a pint has been added, pour oil fast enough to stall engine.
    4. Be sure parking break is in released position and car is on level surface.
    5. Drain gasoline from fuel tank.
    6. Disconnect all fuel lines, blow out and reconnect.
    7. Remove carburetor, clean thoroughly and store in a plastic bag.
    8. Remove fuel pump, clean and store with carburetor. Remove filter assembly and discard. (NOTE: Tape fuel pump, carburetor and gas line openings closed with masking tape).
    9. Drain coolant from radiator, cylinder block and heater core.
    10. Lower windows ½ inch to stop humidity “sweat” and mold.
    11. Remove battery from car and have charge maintained during period car is stored.
    12. Put car on chassis stands so that tires are off the floor.
    13. Apply 10W engine oil to exterior bright surfaces.
    14. When car is taken out of storage, install a new fuel filter, check brake system for leaks, and bleed brakes. Clean spark plugs and regap.

GET RID OF THE OLD GAS!!!
    If your not driving it at least once a week.....store it right.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Wow, those seem like overly hefty lists for the times listed. All of that for a mere month of sitting?

I pulled the info from a 1971 Cadillic Shop Manual, published by GM. I presume some of the procedures relate to cast iron block and heads. I'm not sure about crossover to alum. Anyway either drive it weekly or store it properly. Nothing wrong with preserving cars. I've got a couple of rigs I don't dirve at all, (65 GTO conv. & 66 Buick Skylark GS) Both are restored, preserved and in storage. Unlike my Concorse which sets in storage with a HG issue.

I go over to Car-Condo weekly. She is indoors, in an all brick buildig, with concrete walls, floor & ceiling. The building is dehumidfied and at 68 degrees all year, 24/7. She is covered with a Wolf (brand) cover and one winow is open 2 inches. I go there 1 or 2 times a week, and start her and let her run
    for 15 to 18 minutes. As soon as this heat wave is over, I will be taking her on the interstate for a 60 MPH 40 miles run. (Probably at 6 AM on a Sunday)
    Then she'll come home for a wash-off and sit in the sun for an hour or so and then back to Car-Condo.

A weekly visit is a good thing, starting it and letting it run 15 min or so. This will keep the battery charged and the belts flexible. But running for short amounts of time do nothing for transmission or running gear, plus flat spots will develop on your tires from setting and brakes can seize up. Letting it run is not driving it. Taking a 15 min spin will do lot more good.
    As far as gas...with minimal use, only put in enough gas to keep the pump immersed, no more than 4 gallons of premium. The pump gas today delivers fuel with methanol (made from corn oil). Corn oil will go rancid given time. I stick with Chevron and my cars love it.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Moral of the story, JUST DRIVE IT!!! It's ok, it won't fall apart. In fact, there's LESS chance of it falling apart if it's actually driven rather than left to sit.

Don't let it go to waste. Do yourself a favor and enjoy what that car has to offer before it goes to hell and NO ONE gets a chance...

MrBoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): a blue one

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I think EGR
    Also condinsation in the fuel line

I took her out, this past Sunday AM at 6:05 AM and took her for another 20 mile run, on a 4 lane with a 45-50 Speed limit. I took her about 12 miles south & then back 12 miles north - like 24 miles at 50 M.P.H. She performs as new.
    I witnessed no smoking at all. In the 24 miles I saw several old cars doing the same thing I was doing, including a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - flawless looking and a 1962 Chrysler 300 Hardtop Coupe
    We drive while the rest of the world sleeps.
    Those are some sweet cars--you should get a classic for yourself so you guys can all cruise together! If you are this good with a 93, I bet you'd take great care of a precious older car. Maybe even start up a car show at some local retro styled diner.

No, no more collector cars for me. 1 is all I can handle.

Here she is: Paint color is dark midnight purple. every option that was available. white leather: http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.