chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Lately I've been dealing with an intermittent chug and backfire. It only does this when accelerating. There are no engine ...
    red_ghost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville, 1995 Deville

chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes

Lately I've been dealing with an intermittent chug and backfire. It only does this when accelerating. There are no engine codes being displayed.

The ignition module, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, o2 sensor, oil pressure sensor, tps, isc motor are all about a year old. I tried a new fuel filter. The fuel pump and cat converter are about 4 years old.

I brought it to a local mechanic, and he couldn't recreate teh problem. This problem is really intermittent, as it will do it one day, and then not the next. It does not matter how hot the engine is when it does it. sometimes it will do it right away after its turned on, sometimes not for an hour.

Gas tank level does not seem to matter. It does it regardless of how full or empty it is.

My rear exhaust pipe was dented in right below the rear suspension, and last night when it backfired it blew a hole in the pipe right there.

any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes

When an engine has a real backfire that sounds like a rifle or blows up the muffler, it is caused my loss of spark for a short period of time. When everything is new then it is hard to know where to start. My process of elimination would go like this: The Hall effect/cam sensor would throw a code if the signal was intermittent. I have never seen an ignition module work intermittently, they either pass or fail. I would start looking at the easy stuff. Does the cap and rotor look ok? any signs of arcing? Are the plug wires AC Delco? very very few other brands are worth putting on. What do the spark plugs look like? Are they all clean or is there a couple black ones? I'm not a big fan of .060 plug gaps and somebody here has made the recommendation of a spark plug that has a .045 gap. I didn't do that with mine because I didn't know about it at the time but I tightened my gap up to .050 or .055. Are you having any problems with the dash lights while this is happening? That would indicate a more overall electrical failure.

A lot of people complain of misfires but when you have a real backfire then you have a real problem that needs to be fixed. Good luck.

plug wires are accel. cap and rotor are summit. I have had an intermittent ignition module before; but this one is brand new. checked the plugs and they look fine. the plugs are bosch platinum 4. There are no dash light problems.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

As far as codes go, most of them have a time limit that must be reached before they will set. For example, the cam sensor must be out for 5 consecutive seconds to set a code. And some require the issue to be present for a certain number of ignition cycles. I would check the 5way distributor connector and all the connections inside the distributor for continuity. The heavy red wire to the coil may be loose also. Like Al said, something is killing the whole spark process completely for a split second or two....

My ignition coil is old... I will try changing that first. Probably use an accel super coil...

It really sounds like an intermittent connection somewhere rather than a bum part. Couldnt hurt to throw a new one in there though. I have that same coil - works just fine.

I will check the internals and see if the ignition module is loose, or any of the wires are loose.

I'll have to dig into it tonight. getting a whole new cat back system as we speak. im in the process of moving, so funds are alittle tight right now. Just having them throw a glasspack on for a muffler.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Well, I have torture tested Accel wires on my mud bog truck and they can be amazing; I would rule those out. The plugs look clean so I would rule those out too. A new coil isn't a bad idea and cheap enough. If it's an electrical connection somewhere that could be tough to find; could even be the key switch. You don't have a 3 pound key ring do ya? I would think a bad key switch would affect the dash lights though. At least you won't blow up a glasspack muffler. I would think if this happens at night and the dash lights are not affected, then the problem should be limited to the disrtibutor itself.

I do have heavy key ring (roughly 15 keys). But like I said, there were no ODBI codes showing up on the climate control or on my code reader.

I was wondering if it was fuel related? Maybe the pump is going bad? On the way to the exhaust shop it didnt backfire but it stuttered really slightly multiple times. The pickup coil is old too though... i was hesitating on changing that as it looks like a pain in the butt

Check the resistance of it: (500-1500ohms OK)

Last night I changed the ignition coil. The old one was rusted on the bottom where the spring touches it, so I'm assuming thats what did it. I drove the car both gently and hard; and it seemed fine. I thought i might have stuttered once, but that may have been the transmission shifting and trying to figure out wtf I wanted the car to do. Drove about 50 miles and it seemed fine. I am also considering replacing the bosch platinum plugs I put in last year with AC Delco Platinum. Seems like other people had problems with these plugs.

Also they didn't put in a glasspack, they just used my existing flowmaster 50 series delta flow. Also there is one code I am getting now: E91. That one has been on and off for the past 2 years. Probably should do something about it. I'll look it up in my fsm as soon as I'm done moving.

Well, it looks like it wasn't the ignition coil. On my lunch break it did it again. I removed plugs 1 and 7 and checked them. They looked fine. I checked the connections in the distributor and the connections were all tight, including the ignition module connections. All the spark plug wires are nice and tight on the plugs and on the cap. Again, no codes besides the one above.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

That E091 is a transaxle range switch problem. If you have your car in any other gear other than "park" or "neutral" the engine will not start, no brainer; but if this switch is shorting out inside, it may cause the engine to either stumble or stop.

Not certain, but it may be worth looking into as it can't be that expensive to replace.

My .02 cents

started doing it on the highway. when i got home, i put it in park and stepped on and off the gas and it didnt do it. then i put it in reverse, and it sputtered and stalled. still no engine light. this time it gave the code e31 though. is this just from stalling, or maybe the cause of the problem? seems its happening more frequently now though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.