chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The MAP sensor was probably the issue from the start. They can be going bad and never trip a code. ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: chugging and backfiring intermittently. No codes

The MAP sensor was probably the issue from the start. They can be going bad and never trip a code. They can be had for about $50 to $65 and may just be worth it to replace.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Rock auto has them for $30. But dont get too excited..... Same code happened to me when my car stalled due to a bad ignition module.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by red_ghost View Post
    The ignition module, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, o2 sensor, oil pressure sensor, tps, isc motor are all about a year old.
    That's why I ruled it out, but it is an easy enough item to get it checked. OP, take it out and take it to your local parts store that is capable of checking the ignition module and have it tested.

I looked on Rock Auto but couldn't find the MAP sensor....got a link? Even at $30, it's well worth a switch...

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Standard motor products http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,11207 I have the even less expensive KEMPARTS one and it works fine.

red_ghost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville, 1995 Deville

Took it to the dealer because all my tools were packed. They said it was because some of the ground points on the fender were corroded. thats a load of bull, because I stripped them down to bare metal, and painted everything last year. after that I ground it with a wire wheel. Then they blamed it on my ignition wire sagging too low and hitting the exhaust. It didn't do that until I brought it in to them. I would have noticed the melted plastic wireloom on the manifold. It still does it. I'm going to buy a new MAP sensor and home thats what it is. The dealer said its probably not that.

gas milage is also not very good.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Well, you can get some satisfaction in the fact that your Cadillac techs aren't any smarter than you are. They tried to make it sound good anyway. These problems are very tricky to diagnose so it does require a certain amount of luck too. I don't believe a MAP sensor will cause a backfire but it is nice to have a spare around when there is a question about it. Is this condition affected by rain or humid weather?

I don't drive the car in the rain, and its not very humid here. It didn't seem to do it as bad today, and it didnt back fire today, only chug slightly. I had to run to the store and pick up something and it stalled on the way out, but without chugging. I did notice that my car's exhaust was more visible than a lot of the other cars on road. Its about 35 degrees here this morning. Once agian, no codes other than e91. no check engine light.

I think at this point, since we're no closer to finding the problem, that I would think about purchasing a new distributor. If they are less than $200 I would take the plunge. Or, ...completely disassemble your distributor and reassemble it with the utmpst TLC.

I would also think about temporarily wiring a voltage gauge to the dist 12v wire to monitor the voltage going into the distributor to make sure that it is constant. I guess I would do this first before purchasing a new dist.

Do you think the hall effect sensor woudl have anything to do with it? My grandpa had some ignition problems with his 94 and thats what it turned out to be.

Also this car does not have the factory bcm and ecm. I took the main interior wiring harness out and switched it for one from a 92 with a digital dash. I also used that bcm and ecm. I never switched over teh prom chip. Could that matter?

Also the dealer is not calling me back. lol

Quote Originally Posted by red_ghost View Post
    Do you think the hall effect sensor woudl have anything to do with it? My grandpa had some ignition problems with his 94 and thats what it turned out to be.

Also this car does not have the factory bcm and ecm. I took the main interior wiring harness out and switched it for one from a 92 with a digital dash. I also used that bcm and ecm. I never switched over teh prom chip. Could that matter?

Also the dealer is not calling me back. lol
    The hall effect sensor is known to fail at some point. I would suspect it just because it's about the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet. I don't think the BCM would be related because when mine failed, and the dash lights would flash and the BCM would click, the car still ran fine. I'm pretty sure it's either a problem inside the distributor or it's momentarily losing it's 12 volt power for some other reason.

That would be a pisser if it turned out to be those Bosch plugs. I didn't bash tem at first because I kinda like the regular platinums but I'm not sold on the plus 4 things.

Because of it running fine last year, I doubt its the plugs. I drove from northern WI to IN last year with them...

I talked to the dealer this morning; I think I'll throw a few more parts at it, and if its not fixed; then I'll take it back. I need it fixed soon, because I plan to go to a car show in Toronto with it on July 18th (that's a 13 hour drive for me).

Im going to replace the prndl switch and map sensor to start with.

On my lunch break when I started up the car and was still in park, it was idling very high and started chugging. After about 3 or 4 seconds my Check Engine Light came on and I got E31 again. So, im pretty confident that is what the problem is. I ordered both parts new at Rock Auto.

Piece of cake if that's all it is. My MAP died once while I was on vacation and it was stalling and chugging at red lights. It didn't backfire though so I didn't associate it with your problem. Good luck.

my idea is that the backfire was caused by too much fuel, as if its the map sensor, it could be outputting too much fuel. what particles don't get burnt in the engine ignite in the cat converter. This is my theory because it doesn't backfire right away. If it chugs, it takes maybe 4 to 5 seconds before it backfires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.