Loss of electrical; intermittent problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Loss of electrical; intermittent problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; California seems to be a bad state for car guys. Knowing all the smog problems there explains it though. A ...
    steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Re: Loss of electrical; intermittent problem

California seems to be a bad state for car guys. Knowing all the smog problems there explains it though. A few other states would like to scrap our cars too. I guess they want us to buy new ones, which in my opinion will be junk a lot sooner in age than the older cars. If we think the Caddy electronics are bad in the 80s and 90s sometimes, the new cars have even more electronic crap to deal with. When today's new cars are around 15 years old, the cost to get them fixed will be twice what the car is worth. The folks on these forums can usually get their cars going OK, but the general public wont be able to, and they'll pay through the nose to get things fixed.
    If California is almost broke, where is the money coming from to pay folks to scrap their cars??

Rant is done!!

Eldorado guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '80 Eldorado, '50 Chrysler Windsor, '92 Ford F-250 7.3 4x4

The highest sales and one of the highest income tax rates in the nation pay for that....oh and of course speeding tickets that are almost double what other states pay. What I find funny is the last time I returned from a trip to Reno, Nevada, you could tell the California state line by going from a perfect freeway to one that resembled a wagon trail in feel. What gives?

They want so bad to eliminate older cars off the road and support the purchase of hybrids, when there's no proper way to dispose of the batteries, not to mention that most of the time the price of them are worth more than the car when they fail. Producing the batteries is terrible for the environment as well. I'm not a greenie by any means, I love my oil burning 350 Eldorado, as well as my guzzler Iroc, but my Eldorado has been in existence for 30 years now. How many 2010 Prius' (or whatever the plural would be lol) will be around in 2040?

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

The intention of car companies is no longer to produce a lasting product but a lasting following. Honda and Toyota wil no doubt still be creating hybrids or more likely electrics however the turn over of purchases will rocket. Even in my age range, 21, there are fewer and fewer people holding on to cars beyond 5 years. The consumer is now trained to expect failure in their car and even less now is it easy to diy.

I don't see how I'd ever be able to afford that. Unless you lease, or you have major cash, I'd think you'd be left over with debt from each car purchase. If I ever bought a new car (don't plan too), I'd keep till it died, maybe even repair it after if I really liked it. I'd be quite upset if my car only lasted 5 years.

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Not saying that a car can not. However as example people have lately had a warped idea that toyota and honda cars will run into the ground and a GM will putter and die far sooner. Though I would say this seems true from the outset, it is more so a result of word of mouth and people buying into the concept and thus not investing to fix their corsica or cavalier etc. People now expect to provide little maintenance and have the thing run like a top forever, if not they figure it just was not good and move on. I think its a bogus idea/theory put into the public's mind in order to cripple U.S made auto sales. The most highly sought car in China currently...... Buick. Most can't afford it, but its testiment we just bought into the babble of media and false sources. Stick with what you like, and just be ready to invest. ALL cars need it and learning to do on your own is more power to ya.

Sorry I haven't replied in so long, I've had a busy week. People tend to believe what they are told. We've become a throw-away society. One of my hobbies is restoring antique tube radios. On almost every radio, even the small, cheap ones, there's pencil writing somewhere on the chassis from a repair man way back when. Sometimes the date is from the 30s or the 40s. My point out of that is people use to take things in and fix them when they broke, rather than replace them. How many would take their tv in to get fixed, rather than replace it? The thing with that is that most newer electronics aren't really repairable. Of course you can repair anything, but when they tell you it needs a motherboard that is 3/4 the price of a new whatever, why not just buy a new one?

I had an old laptop that had an issue with the ram slots on the motherboard. I called dell and asked them what a new motherboard would cost, just in case I wanted to get this thing properly going again. 500+ dollars would get it going again. 500+ for a motherboard they probably had sitting in a warehouse for years, as this was a PIII computer. The rep on the phone and I both had a chuckle before I said "Ok, never mind." They charge what a new computer is priced at because they want you to buy a new one, not fix the old one. My point of all this is that car's seem to be heading in the same direction.

Well sorry about my rant. I talked to my neighbor and he said the mechanic still has it, but he still can't figure it out. He said if he can't fix it, it's mine. Unfortunately, he says that he's smelt that "oil burning smell" from it before. I'm sure it does burn some at 165,000. On the other hand, how he's always worked is that as soon as an engine start's showing age, he rebuilds it, so I don't know. Good practice though, if you can do that. I don't know if I'll make it my every day driver, or have to get rid of it (I just don't want it to get junked; wouldn't be trying to make a profit, probably just what I paid for it), or maybe I'll be able to keep it if I pick up work. Don't need another car though lol. We'll just have to see. That's the most recent development.

Oh and before I go, I wanted to mention that my Uncles 2000 Grand Prix has over 345,000 miles now (probably closer to 360 or 370K by now) and he just had to do the transmission at 275,000. Not bad at all. It's foolish to think American cars can't do what a Japanese car can do.

welshlad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This may be a shot in the dark, but the symptom is similar. my father bought a 98 sls, and on the highway all the lights died and the motor quit. he did get it running again but it kept doing it every once in a while. turned out it was the ignition switch, which activates every system on the car. without that working, nothing would come to life. the starter wont even click if the ignition is messed up. check that, the problem may not even be under the hood

Good thought. We sometimes overlook the simple answers.

Wow thanks that sounds like a probable culprit! My friend still hasn't really heard much, the mechanic still has it. I would have come back and updated, but there was nothing to add and I thought this had died. My friend thinks that the mechanic is waiting for him to say why don't you just have the car. He says with a chuckle, "I like the guy, but I just don't like him enough to give him a car." We'll just see what happens. Next time I see him out I'll mention what you said. Thanks for the help everyone!

Hey Eldoradoguy, I have a lot of old radio tubes, some from the 30s etc. If ya need any old/used ones, PM me. I must have close to 500 of them.
    Bill

Hey thanks Bill! Next time I need some maybe we could work out a deal. My radio hobby has really slowed down at the moment. Two old cars and being a full-time student keep me busy. Is tube radio restoration a hobby of yours? I miss it so bad, but summer is coming up so I should have some time to devote to my old tube friends.

I know this is old, but I thought I'd let everyone know what it was. It ended up being the alternator. It would go way to high in voltage and everything would shut down. The car is back now, but he still wants to get rid of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.