Distributor Sound - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Distributor Sound in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Cranking is what I think I have seen others mention as the "diesel like" sound. Its only during running time(s). ...
    MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Re: Distributor Sound

Cranking is what I think I have seen others mention as the "diesel like" sound. Its only during running time(s). The ignition and start only make the normal sounds. Right now I am about to adjust the alternator pulley because I think I over tightened it, not sure if is having any affects. Also have a feeling I need some spark plugs checked, otherwise the slap sound I get during some points of acceleration has me lost. So the distributor isnt making noise is the new alternator apparently. Still need to figure out whats causing the intermittent starter delay. It turns over like its got a dying battery at times. Stumped.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Cranking isnt a sound... the term refers to when the starter turns the motor to start combustion. The sound you hear is likely knocking/pinging/detonation/spark knock. You should check the ignition timing, EGR operation, engine operating temperature, and proper octane rating. All of those can cause knock.

Yea. The timing is what I think is doing it. Gas is correct and temp is right. Just need to test the spark and timing. When the engine starts correctly it just purs..... otherwise its a pat pat pat sound amidst acceleration. Likely correct on your guess.... will post back after checking it over

No sound other than usual starter noise. Minus the excess time it takes to turn over. about 4 seconds now. But randomly take a split second like new to ignite. The pinging I had is now gone from removing and attaching the spark plug lines. also cleaned off a couple of the plugs to the distributor and so thats done. Now after testing if it was in fact a battery issue or not I have I think concluded my starter is just worn. It has the same start up speed while jumped to a charger as without. Not sure what else could be behind a slow turn over start up minus the starter itself.

Also I popped off the distributor top today and the entire frame around the ignition coil, or module forget, has rust. Would this be enough to throw operation of it and mess with the start up? if at all an issue even.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Maybe the timing is advanced too far, and bucking the starter a bit (?) The rust in the distributor in not uncommon.
    When the bushings in the starter get worn, the armature may start rubbing on the field poles, which defeats some of the pull of the fields, and adds drag to the armature.
    Maybe it's time for a rebuilt starter......... One thing at a time, and you will get it fixed OK.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.