Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Distributor Sound

3K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  steelybill 
#1 ·
So I have discovered my distributor is slowly kicking the bucket. Slow turn over at ignition, throwing a code etc. Now I have a whizzz or sort of winding noise. Wondering if anyone else can confirm this IS the distributor making a sound as symptom of death or I have another sound somewhere. Alternator is new and silent. Cant think of many other moving parts electrically which would do this.

Head lights still blip for a second when engaging defrost too, so clearly distr. still

#4 ·
Then has to be a lose line of some sort. The distributor should explain the slow crank I intermittently get though.... doesnt seem to be the ignition. What else would cause the "cranking" or winding noise beneath the air filter? I have taken to looking into it with the rain lately so no investigating. Alternator DID explain the momentary light dim before, can only imagine I have a short or lose line somewhere now if its still doing that.

Code 12 has popped up a few times recluse. May explain the pat pat pat sound I have, non firing spark somewhere i dont know....

#10 ·
When's the last time you gave it a tune up?

Any kind of "whizzing" or "whirring" noises can probably be attributed to external bearing sounds, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump, alternator, power steering, even a dried up serpentine belt can make a noise. Sometimes carbon build up on the contacts inside the distributor can make a clicking noise but usually the car is running really rough by that point.

You may have to chase it down with a stethoscope or screwdriver. Try narrowing it down to a point on the motor and maybe we can be of more help in that area.:2thumbs:

#11 ·
Yea. she needs a tune up but this has been a mildly evident crank sound for a bit. just lately at times become audible. At least to me haha. My ears are perhaps TOO attentive and drives my girl friend to the point of givin me crap. I will check it out tomorrow and probably take off the filter to get a good listen. as well check some lines out. update soon.

#16 ·
Cranking is what I think I have seen others mention as the "diesel like" sound. Its only during running time(s). The ignition and start only make the normal sounds. Right now I am about to adjust the alternator pulley because I think I over tightened it, not sure if is having any affects. Also have a feeling I need some spark plugs checked, otherwise the slap sound I get during some points of acceleration has me lost. So the distributor isnt making noise is the new alternator apparently. Still need to figure out whats causing the intermittent starter delay. It turns over like its got a dying battery at times. Stumped.

#17 ·
Cranking isnt a sound... the term refers to when the starter turns the motor to start combustion. The sound you hear is likely knocking/pinging/detonation/spark knock. You should check the ignition timing, EGR operation, engine operating temperature, and proper octane rating. All of those can cause knock.

#18 ·
Yea. The timing is what I think is doing it. Gas is correct and temp is right. Just need to test the spark and timing. When the engine starts correctly it just purs..... otherwise its a pat pat pat sound amidst acceleration. Likely correct on your guess.... will post back after checking it over

#19 ·
No sound other than usual starter noise. Minus the excess time it takes to turn over. about 4 seconds now. But randomly take a split second like new to ignite. The pinging I had is now gone from removing and attaching the spark plug lines. also cleaned off a couple of the plugs to the distributor and so thats done. Now after testing if it was in fact a battery issue or not I have I think concluded my starter is just worn. It has the same start up speed while jumped to a charger as without. Not sure what else could be behind a slow turn over start up minus the starter itself.

#21 ·
Maybe the timing is advanced too far, and bucking the starter a bit (?) The rust in the distributor in not uncommon.
When the bushings in the starter get worn, the armature may start rubbing on the field poles, which defeats some of the pull of the fields, and adds drag to the armature.
Maybe it's time for a rebuilt starter......... One thing at a time, and you will get it fixed OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.