Tired of &^%$ injectors!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Tired of &^%$ injectors! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Running newly assembled motor and starts hesitating AGAIN. Tested injectors; 1 dead, 1 dying. Looking onto a new set and ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Tired of &^%$ injectors!

Running newly assembled motor and starts hesitating AGAIN. Tested injectors; 1 dead, 1 dying.

Looking onto a new set and was wondering what my options are. I don't want OEM as they seem to be junk. For those who have replaced them, what are you running and with what success or failings. I know the OEM calls for 22-24 lb but what are my limitations? I'm not looking to hot rod it, just don't want to reset anything beyond stock...

I'll get this damn motor running right if it kills it, uh... I mean me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Tired of &^%$ injectors!

Injectors from Ford Crown Vics, Mustangs etc, work fine.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

OEM calls for 18-19 lb. I've had one hell of a time with injectors... Read my thread called "spark plugs: What do YOU run?" I've bought 2 sets so far that leaked. One set supposedly 'rebuilt and flow matched' bosch III and one set supposedly new for an allante so buyer beware.... NEW oem injectors will run up to near $1000 for a whole set - disgusting. I'm so sick of screwing with injectors that I'm actually building a machine to test and clean them. I've pulled the fuel rail 5 times on my car already just chasing injector problems. I'm damn near ready for a carburetor.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    OEM calls for 18-19 lb. I've had one hell of a time with injectors... Read my thread called "spark plugs: What do YOU run?" I've bought 2 sets so far that leaked. One set supposedly 'rebuilt and flow matched' bosch III and one set supposedly new for an allante so buyer beware.... NEW oem injectors will run up to near $1000 for a whole set - disgusting. I'm so sick of screwing with injectors that I'm actually building a machine to test and clean them. I've pulled the fuel rail 5 times on my car already just chasing injector problems. I'm damn near ready for a carburetor.
    I bought a set of refurb Ford injectors on eBay for $150. They were fine. I agree, new OEM might be to steep.

I've pulled the fuel rail 5 times on my car already just chasing injector problems. I'm damn near ready for a carburetor.
    Yeah me too on both accounts. It's one of the primary reasons I don't build with FI much.

Jegs had Accel and MSD injectors rated 22-26 lbs for $250 set of 8 average. I just don't want to exceed the fuel pump and such.

I'll read your thread. Thanks.

Higher flow rates wont do you any good. They will just cause lag time because the computer will be constantly correcting the mixture for each cell. 19# injectors are something like 5% higher flow rate and are within limits for the computer to correct. I imagine that the car would bog heavily until you reach closed loop and the ecm starts correcting for the richness. There is a 19# MSD set for $150 on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I imaginHigher flow rates wont do you any good. They will just cause lag time because the computer will be constantly correcting the mixture for each cell. 19# injectors are something like 5% higher flow rate and are within limits for the computer to correct.
    That's what I needed to know. I'm not looking to flash any computers or hot rod anything so "bigger" injectors was not of great importance. Thanks for the explanation.

Bought those suggested, but from a different retailer. I'm curious as to how (read:if) they run.

Will keep posted...

The MSD's? The only thing I dont like is that the casing looks just like the Multec injectors... as if they are just re-badged units. :skeptic:

Yeah, I know, worries me too; but what is a poor bastard to do?

justin4yu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 2door sedan

one way to know if an injector is working in your car is listen to it with a stethoscope if its not working its your ecm

DodgeW200 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I talked to the owner, Jens, of Fuel Injector Clinic in Hobe, FL. After testing my originals he informed me I had multiple coil failures and that they could not be salvaged. He was scratching his head at the early delphi injectors and how to replace them for me. He stated that all the current GM/Ford replacements are an 1/8th inch shorter and may cause leaking. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to invest $280 on injectors that will leak.

1/8th inch shorter where? That makes less than no sense...so the same length and body injector that they have been making for the last 20+ years is no longer available to be purchased and install in your car

I'm not saying that to be a dick (and it's not aimed at you); I'm saying that just doesn't make any sense at all. With a little search on the internet you can find replacement injectors all over the place. Tell them to keep looking or find a shop that knows what's going on....

Replacement injectors specified as OEM replacement will be the correct height. Injectors for other cars that work in our caddys (mostly fords)are indeed shorter but they WILL work and dont leak when properly installed. Search my threads, I've been through all kinds of injector issues, have run a few different types, and done alot of experimenting with them. As long as the fuel rail is bolted down all the way and the o-rings are new and lubricated with oil you wont have a problem. What injectors exactly are you planning to buy? Any stock injectors from a fuel injected ford 302 will work for you and are more reliable than your original injectors.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

I visited my local u-pull yard and scrounged 16 injectors, cost me a couple of bucks apiece. I then took them along with the 8 injectors out of my ride to a local shop. out of all of the injectors they were able to recondion a set of 8. the rest since they were marked at the salvage yard, I was able to return them for a refund. The cost of reconditioning was only $20 apiece. I've had no trouble since.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.