What problems in removing 4.9?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, What problems in removing 4.9? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I need to drill and tap the block for headbolt replacement and am looking to remove the engine out of ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

What problems in removing 4.9?

I need to drill and tap the block for headbolt replacement and am looking to remove the engine out of my Eldo to get to both sides of it. What should I be expecting as far as splitting the transfer case and reassembly? Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: What problems in removing 4.9?

That's going to be pretty involved. I would recommend buying a factory service manual and a replacement engine. I think there are some posts on here about changing 4.9 head gaskets and/or head bolts. I don't recall many success stories.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

cadillac_al is correct. A factory manual would likely save 50% of the labor needed to remove it. Mine has 52 items in a check list to get it out. (been there twice)

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    That's going to be pretty involved. I would recommend buying a...replacement engine.
    The problem is I've already got the heads done (port, polish, and valve job) along with the gasket kits and replacement parts. It wasn't until I looked to helicoil the block did I realize the engine needed to be removed.

steelybill; is that 52 point checklist removing the cradle or coming out the top?

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

That was for coming out the top. I would think that removing the whole works out the bottom with the cradle would be quicker if it could be done. Hoisting the body off the cradle would be interesting.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I see where you are coming from now Recluse. Since you have that much work done you might as well take a shot at fixing those threads in the block. The FSM is still well worth the prices they go for on ebay and I would search around here for other threads about 4.9 head bolt fixes. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by steelybill View Post
    Hoisting the body off the cradle would be interesting.
    The cradle stops at the A-pillar. A couple of well placed jack stands and it drops right out; I just don't want to undo all the linkage and crap involved.

Al- the motor itself only has 83k on it, tough to find a replacement with less I would think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.