4.5 V8 Underpowered? & 92-93 Deville?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 V8 Underpowered? & 92-93 Deville? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; There's this guy on cardomain selling his 88 Sedan Deville with 50 + miles and havent' really own it that ...
    JoJo_Brand_Star is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville HT4100

4.5 V8 Underpowered? & 92-93 Deville?

There's this guy on cardomain selling his 88 Sedan Deville with 50 + miles and havent' really own it that long.
    But his reason of letting it go is for another caddy maybe, and the 4.5 is underpowered why is letting it go.

So i want to know what's everyone input on that.
    Because i have a 87 Sedan Deville w/ 82,000 miles i'm about to let
    go for the same reason. but mines is a 4.1 and very underpowered
    the reason i'm selling it. and i would chose a 4.5 motor anyday over a 4.1

So i'm forward to selling this and replacing it with a 92-93 Deville w/4.9
    what are the good features of those two years?
    i would like to know, because i hear they have alot of goodies that the previous caddies didn't have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: 4.5 V8 Underpowered? & 92-93 Deville?

Keep in mind none of the 4.X's will be put into race cars...While they got better as the years went on, even a 4.9 powered Caddy is a slug compared to most modern vehicles. It has a decent amount of torque at the bottom end but progressively runs out of breath as the rpms climb. The 4.X's were designed to pull around these 4,000lb boats elegantly, smoothly, and reliably. They do this fairly well and their owners should expect nothing more from them.

As far as added features to the '91-'93 models, there weren't many aside from appearance and the drivetrain. Most of the suspension was identical (with the exception of the optional CCR) and most of the interior stayed the same with the exception of air bags. There were probably a few knick-knacks added to the options list(like perhaps the electrochromic rearview mirror) but nothing that's going to change the driving experience.

If you are looking for something different than your '87 that's 4.X powered I'd suggest the '94-'95 Deville.

The 94-95 Deville isn't as attractive the previous Devilles in my opinion.
    I'm not looking for a race car, i just need something much more powerful
    then this bullshit 4.1 motor.
    I used to own a 91 and i was content with the performance i got from that 4.9, but i prefer the 92-93 because i like the new leather seats better then the previous one.
    And the little extra features i think is cool, so i will definetly be shopping
    for a Deville within those two years.
    Because this 4.1 can kiss my ass, it's hell of a cruiser but it drives like wearing flip flops. haha

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

4.1 had 130hp 1988-89 4.5 had 150hp 1990 4.5 had 180hp and the 4.9 has 200hp. You wont see much of a difference in power with the 1988-89. I think your best bet would be the 91-93. Its the older style and I believe they are a bit lighter than the 94-95's. The tops in 4.xL power is the 91 Seville STS or the 91 Eldorado ETC but good luck finding one for a reasonable price or finding one AT ALL for that matter!

I use to have a 89 Eldorado w/ a 4.5 and i was content with the performance i got from that motor.
    I will take anything other then this 4.1 because
    it's just not making any strong punches for me.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    The tops in 4.xL power is the 91 Seville STS or the 91 Eldorado ETC but good luck finding one for a reasonable price or finding one AT ALL for that matter!
    I thought it was the Allante with the TPI-style intake?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I thought it was the Allante with the TPI-style intake?
    I forgot about that little gem. I think they jumped right from that special 4.5 to a Northstar.

19Eldorado90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 Eldorado Biarritz

I have a '90 Eldorado Biaritz with a 4.5 engine, CAI, cat delete, and a Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler. It is fun to drive and fairly quick but hey, who couldn't use more horsepower.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.