89 deville 4.5 antifreeze leak?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 89 deville 4.5 antifreeze leak? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, Im new to this forum! I have a 89 Deville with the 4.5 motor. When I take off it ...
    davecregar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

89 deville 4.5 antifreeze leak?

Hello, Im new to this forum! I have a 89 Deville with the 4.5 motor. When I take off it blows steam for a while then quits. The heat comes and goes all the time and I pulled the oil fill cap and it had antifreeze under it, also the intake towards the firewall smells of antifreeze. Im knowledgeable on motors but was looking for any other suggestions. Im thinking intake gasket leak.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 89 deville 4.5 antifreeze leak?

It's either the intake or the head gaskets. You have to pull the intake anyway to get to the HG's so if you see a bad intake you can stop there.

davecregar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

I have the intake removed. What exactly am I looking for on a bad intake gasket? Is there any pic that I can associate it with.
    Thks.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Look very close and carefully for a breach in the gasket. I don't know of any pictures, though I am sure there are some somewhere on the net.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The gasket corrodes and disappears at the coolant crossover over ports. When that happens, it squirts coolant down into the lifter valley and if not caught in time, will ruin (flatten) camshaft lobes. There are 4, one at each corner of the manifold. Sometimes the manifold itself can be corroded and pitted as well.

MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

Now I could be wrong but isn't this along the lines of the 4100 symptoms which are signs of the engine on its way out?. Coolant in the oil if not gasket issues what else?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The only way coolant mixes with oil is thru a gasket failure. Most common is the intake manifold, less likely a head gasket. Because people dont check weekly for coolant residue under the oil filler cap, by the time they notice an issue, the cam is already destoyed. That then means the engine is on its way out. I've owned 2 Eldos, and a Seville all with the 4.1 series engines. 2 cars required intake gasket replacement, none required engine replacement.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Just to add, on these engines, another potential source of coolant in the crankcase is the timing cover gaskets....though it's not very likely.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.