95 Deville base 4.9 fuel pressure issues, FPR or fuel pump? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 95 Deville base 4.9 fuel pressure issues, FPR or fuel pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; on mine the baffles came loose from inside the tank...
    quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

Re: 95 Deville base 4.9 fuel pressure issues, FPR or fuel pump?

on mine the baffles came loose from inside the tank

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by brandond25 View Post
    Huh? How would the tank do that? If you had to replace the tank did it have something to do with you bottoming it out a lot or something? I have replaced my tank once. But only because the shocks were bad and the pump kept going out. But I spent $100 and got that fixed. Might not ride Cadillac smooth anymore but its up high enough I would have to go some place pretty stupid for me to go for the tank to get damaged again.
    Yup, early 90's Deville problem. Tank baffles come loose. Turn the corner with less than 1/4 tank and the fuel sloshes to one side. Pump sucks air and the engine starves out. Doesn't sound like your problem.

brandond25 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9L

Ahh ok. No, I havent had any issues like that. Only with the fuel pump working when it wants to and not working when it doesnt. But I did replace the pump yesterday. Took it for a test drive and was impressed. I no longer have the sound of alumninum cans going through a shredder when I floor it. No more fuel knock. Still have the low rpm knock, which my dad says is a bearing or something that will not kill the engine if I drive it right. I do know without the belt it doesnt knock at all. So I am planning to get another belt, one currently on it is squeeking and showing the signs of wear, and get the belt 1/4-1/2 inch longer so its not super tight. Maybe then I wont even hear a knock at all. Pisses me off too. I seen what you were talking about Ranger, bout how the pump itself could be replaced, none of these guys down here sell just the pump though. My dad said I could have bought one for a 95 Chevy pickup that would have worked. Looks exactly like the one for the 95 deville, but who knows. Its done now.

Your knock sounds like the infamous 4.9 "main bearing thump". Per our old Guru, it is annoying, but harmless. They DO make a service bearing for it should you be so inclined as to drop the pan (if that's possible in the car on a 4.9. I'm not sure). You should find lots of info on it if you do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Your knock sounds like the infamous 4.9 "main bearing thump". Per our old Guru, it is annoying, but harmless. They DO make a service bearing for it should you be so inclined as to drop the pan (if that's possible in the car on a 4.9. I'm not sure). You should find lots of info on it if you do a search.
    No joke? And those could be replaced from the oil pan you say, or possibly anyway? How would I know which bearing it is exactly though? I already know getting my dad to help me with that is out of the question. I found a good used engine 4.9 for $350 with only 95000 miles on it and all he could say is "how you gonna get it in there, I aint helping you with that". My brother could help, but last engine swap he did like that he went to turn the key over to start it and only made the windshield wipers come on. He got it fixed, but I think it took a while for him to do it. Do you know where I could pick up the bearing? Or would I just look up service main bearing, or main bearing on any parts store site?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

It's the front most bearing behind the balancer. Most folks run Rotella-T 15w-40 to quiet the knock. Never done it, but dropping the pan doesnt look all that hard on this engine....

My brother could help, but last engine swap he did like that he went to turn the key over to start it and only made the windshield wipers come on.

Do you know where I could pick up the bearing?
    I'd go to a dealer. One bearing can't be very expensive and you know you'll get the correct one.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Keep in mind that if you are worried about that bearing noise, you should really replace all of the main bearings, as with any engine.

There are service bearings in both the #1 and #5 positions, and they both contribute to the problem. The front bearing is purple, the rear is green. I believe the service bearings were somewhere around $50 a piece - expensive. They were also difficult to locate but they are out there.

Search on this site for teh part numbers. I have listed all of the GM part numbers for every bearing position, both standard and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    It's the front most bearing behind the balancer. Most folks run Rotella-T 15w-40 to quiet the knock. Never done it, but dropping the pan doesnt look all that hard on this engine....
    I have run 15-40 once. I was kind of worried about it being to thick and screwing something up though while it was in there. But, I suppose with 210k I got nothing to lose really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I'd go to a dealer. One bearing can't be very expensive and you know you'll get the correct one.
    Alrighty. And its just a matter of dropping the oil pan and using what to get the bearing out? A spatula or something? How difficult would it be for someone who would only know to drop the oil pan? Or will I have to get new rods and all and replace all the bearings?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

In an engine with that much mileage, the clearances between parts will be much wider than when the engine was new. Dont use it in the winter months if you're worried about it. I use it in my ford 5.0 with 256k and it starts and runs fine with it and it smokes less.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    In an engine with that much mileage, the clearances between parts will be much wider than when the engine was new. Dont use it in the winter months if you're worried about it. I use it in my ford 5.0 with 256k and it starts and runs fine with it and it smokes less.
    Yeah I hear ya. I knew that much. I had a 91 Nissan Stanza once, had a lil lifter tap. My brother put 15-40 in it (4 cylinder mind you). I thought nothing of it at first. But 2 weeks later I was on my home and heard nuts or something metal start falling off the car and a "kapow knock knock knock knock". I was so mad then. But it was a beater anyway. The Devil (as I call it) is all I got right now though. Have to take it easy on her. Its hard not to race it redlight to redlight now though. With that new fuel pump its running WAY WAY better. I thought it still ran good when it was missin and stuff. Now its like super amazing. I will run some 15-40 after our winter here. Which will most likely end here in Houston in the next 2-3 weeks. If that long.

Quote Originally Posted by brandond25 View Post
    Alrighty. And its just a matter of dropping the oil pan and using what to get the bearing out? A spatula or something? How difficult would it be for someone who would only know to drop the oil pan? Or will I have to get new rods and all and replace all the bearings?
    No, you should be able to just replace that one bearing. Now I don't know about the pan. Can't get it off on the Northstar without dropping the drivetrain. Not sure about the 4.9. Once the pan is off all that's left is removing the bearing cap and replacing the bearing.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

It's fairly easy. you'll have to disconnect the cat from the y-pipe and remove the y-pipe. It really isn't a good idea to tackle this unless you have an acetylene torch. If you attempt without one and happen to break one of the bolts in the exhaust manifold, the manifold has to come out and you are screwed with a LOT bigger job than it was.

With the y-pipe out, the pan comes right out after removing the flywheel inspection cover.

After that, remove the oil pump.

When removing the bearings, you have to be incredibly careful not to scratch or nick the crank. The 4.9 crank is iron and is a lot softer than you think. Do not go nuts in there with a screwdriver trying to rotate the upper shells out.

By the way, replacing just the one bearing really won't completely solve the problem and isn't standard procedure for any engine. I wish I took pictures when I did mine. There were indications of wear on the #1, 2, 4, and 5 postitions, indicating that the crank "teeter-tottered" on the #3 bearing. This would explain why there are service bearings available for BOTH the #5 and #1 positions.

If you search for Stoney's Main Bearing Diary, you will find he discovered the same thing when he did his. I believe he even took pictures.

Besides, if you are going to go through the work of removing the oil pan, you'd better just replace all 5 once you are under there. Doesn't take much more time once they are accessible. It'd be silly to take the pan off and fix only 1/5th of the problem. Do it once, do it right, or don't do it at all.

Besides, if you are going to go through the work of removing the oil pan, you'd better just replace all 5 once you are under there. Doesn't take much more time once they are accessible. It'd be silly to take the pan off and fix only 1/5th of the problem. Do it once, do it right, or don't do it at all.
    I was always under the impression that the problem was just #1, but there is something to be said for that. ^^^

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.