new Tranny
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, new Tranny in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What would it cost to rebuild the Tranny on a 4.1...
    MrDobin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Seville Elegante

new Tranny

What would it cost to rebuild the Tranny on a 4.1

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: new Tranny

$1200 - $2000

Might have just made a one in a lifetime catch. Local guy owns my Seville model and is selling for less than 2k. Going to get it for 1k if one thing is correct... are these transmissions the same?. I am going to buy this seville and swap it for parts if so. Worth it to keep stored and pull out parts as needed I think for 1k.

You have a THM325-4L. 1986 - 90 have a THM440 (aka 4T60). 1991 and up use a 4T60-E.

What year is the potential buy?

An 84 with all same including 4100. I'm going to pick up a 96 Deville though instead. It has only 99k on it and for the same cost it would be for me to pick up this second seville and swap parts. Not worth it. the northstar maintained will get me another 100k and this 4100 is likely to need further work.

So I took it into the shop to check the tranny out..... and nothing. The fluid is clean, doesnt smell, and on a test drive around the mechanics found no issues period shifting. I am going to have the system flushed though for the sake of being sure and checking the pan. Still baffled as to why the thing got stuck in overdrive/high gear that day. Now I see subsequently that made the fluid bubble and freak me out. Just not sure what would cause a momentary stick in transmission. Will update if it goes to hell again.

Search the forum for 'transmission flush' and read about why it's not a good idea to have it done by a shop.

The stuck in high gear issue may be the TCC/VCC solenoid sticking in the engaged position - that is if you have one in such an early model... Check for codes.

No codes. Thus making me more upset before.

Ill check into that thread.

Can you direct me to the flush thread, dont see anything on search... or missing it.

Nevermind spoke to early got it

There are ALOT of driveability issues that don't set codes, especially in OBD-1 cars like ours. On a pre-'91 caddy, the computer has little involvement in the transmission's operation. And tolerances for the fail conditions are rather wide. Most of the time, the issue has to be pretty bad before a code will set.

Yea. I figured as much. I am just puzzled as the down and up shifts are fine but this day it stuck in high. I suppose come spring(assuming I keep it low miles use) I can put new solenoids in. I would fear tranny failure but it has had zero issues till the "stick" and even then it wasnt missing it was just flying right into the top gear acceleration. Will see.

So the update....

Took it into the shop I have trusted for our work in the past(guy gave my mom a 1200 job with parts free due to financial issue, nice owner need i say more). They drove it around, took a look. Drum roll.... tranny is not fried but it needs fluid changing, with a conditioner, as well as a minimal amount of part and labor to correct a wearing on the shift to 2nd. The theory we drew, this mechanic owned a similar build caddy and did 10 years of tranny work so I have faith hah. Our theory is it stuck into second given linkage issues etc. then when i popped it in and out of gears it adjusted for the time being. Other than the tires and alignment... I am quite glad this was me being paranoid and not an 1800 dollar issue to rebuild. Ill get the details from him when I get the car and repost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.