Putting Restore in my 93 Deville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Putting Restore in my 93 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I wasn't aware that sears had any technicians working in one of their service centers. Tire changers, lube boys, battery ...
    90BeigeElDorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5 PFI

Re: Putting Restore in my 93 Deville

I wasn't aware that sears had any technicians working in one of their service centers. Tire changers, lube boys, battery installers, yes. Mechanics,(actually, in the modern automotive service industry mechanics don't exist, only techs) no. Listening to anything that a Sears tire installer has to say about engine longevity is like sticking your finger in a light socket. You'll get an answer to your question, just not the one you want.

mike93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac sedan deville

Yeah he's a master technician tech 4 does all th big work

Another question Ive been using rotella is that relly gonna hurt the cat i put it on 2 months ago

Tomorrow im gonna be sea foaming the motor cleaning out the whole motor

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
    Another question Ive been using rotella is that relly gonna hurt the cat i put it on 2 months ago
    No. Rotella is fine. No oil on the market today will ever have any effect on a catalytic converter.

It is best to change the oil after a seafoam treatment. Follow the instructions on the can. Google it for tips on doing the treatment.

Oh ok and people on here told me rotella will hurt the catalytic converter over time because of the zinc in the oil

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Rotella and its equivalents has the same ZDDP load that all automotive oils had up until about 4 - 5 years ago - when the EPA mandated a reduction in ZDDP in automobile oils to conform to some perceived air quality standard. So-called "off road', fleet and marine oils were unaffected by the changes.

Your 1993 and my 2002 were born with a 900 - 1200 ppm ZDDP load in the oil from the factory. The catalytic converters are still fine.............

Some rainy day spend some time digging deeply into the product spec sheets for several manufacturers and types of lube oils. Study viscosity, temperature, shear, and additive load specs to find out how they all differ. Read the labels. Just for grins and kicks, Google "bobistheoilguy".

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Why do you insist on dumping all this snake oil in your motor? The only thing it will accomplish is to fatten the manufacturers, distributors and sellers wallets and give you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing something go for your car. All you need is regular oil and filter changes. Leave that crap on the shelves for the next sucker.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why do you insist on dumping all this snake oil in your motor? The only thing it will accomplish is to fatten the manufacturers, distributors and sellers wallets and give you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing something go for your car. All you need is regular oil and filter changes. Leave that crap on the shelves for the next sucker.
    Agreed.

If you want to get anal about performance, the most you can do is change tune-up items, making sure all fluid and filters are clean and making sure everything is correctly adjusted.

When changing oil, fill it with your favorite brand 10W-30, just like the engine was spec'd for. You won't be accomplishing anything by deviating from it.

When changing filters, choose your favorite OEM style filter. Don't buy into the "hi-flo" crap.

When changing spark plugs, again, replace them with what the car was spec'd for. Choose your favorite brand single electrode platinum plug.

If your car still runs poorly after this, either diagnose the problem or have it diagnosed by someone else. Don't throw parts at it.

If the car runs fine, then drive it. Happy motoring.

Ok guys ill listen to you but im ust gonna seafoam the intake to clean out the carbon deposits and everything

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The folks at Seafoam thank you.

Make sure that the two EGR tubes down in the TB are open. If not, rod them out.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The only additive I ever use is Marvel Mystery Oil. It works great in airplanes, even though it isn't approved. Sticky valves are sometimes a problem in airplanes, and the Marvel frees them up very quick. I've used it in auto engines, but not as a regular diet. I believe that an engine that sits around for months at a time will benefit from the Marvel oil when first returned to service. It's labeled as "upper lube" also, but I never use it in the gas tank. I'm only going by the results, not by the hype. Most additives are petroleum distillate according to the labels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.