H.E.I. Help Needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, H.E.I. Help Needed in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; going to work on the ignition timing tomorrow on my 94 4.9 , needed to know what the timing is ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

H.E.I. Help Needed

going to work on the ignition timing tomorrow on my 94 4.9 , needed to know what the timing is supposed to be set at and if i need to pull any wires or vaccum lines before i do it , there is no sticker on the underside of the hood or anywhere that tells me how to check/adjust ign timing

also the bolt that holds the distributor down is hidden , anyone have a idea on where exactly it is ? :banghead2

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: H.E.I. Help Needed

Too long since I did it. I'll have to look it up on Monday when I go back to work.
    I THINK it's supposed to be 10 degrees BTDC and you put it at base timing by grounding the diagnostic connector under the dash. Hopefully someone here can verify that before Monday.

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Correctamundo, Katshot..10Degrees BTDC at less than 800 RPM..Detroit manual says"Jumper pins A & B at the DLC connector while NOT in diagnostic display. SET TIMING MODE message will be displayede on the Climate Control Driver Info Center." ..Then set the distributor timing... Can't help on where to find the hold-down bolt as I haven't had to set my timing yet so I haven't looked, but I'm sure taking off the top part of the air cleaner will give you more room to look...Hope I helped some...

THANKX!!!

after i get some house cleaning done ill go out and begin

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If it's anything like the 4.1's the hold down bolt is probablly under the distributor pretty much right under the cap facing the fire wall. You'll need a crow's foot to get it. It's a PITA to get to too.

ahh cool , thankx much dude

Talking

Hey Scrapeyard, how'd you get that picture of me on my bike???

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Desmond
    I haven't seen any pics of you yet in the "post your picture thread".

I'm internal combustion genius, but computer illiterate...how do I post them? I don't have a scanner, if that's what I need..Picture Brittany Spears when she's in her 40's and you'll have a good idea, though...

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well in that case would you be up for being a model in our Cadillacforums.com calendar, hot girls, hot cars, cool attitude.

You want a 46 year old for pictures???... Only if I can wear the gloves I wore in my last pro fight

interesting thing happed today ...no more ping , it rained this afternoon , so i pulled it int he garage to beging retiming the thing , then i relaized i had to play soccer mom and ferry the little bro to band...

so anyway on the way there i killed the radio and climate controll to see if it was pinging , no ping

so i probed the pcm data side of the computer , it says im sitting at 25 to 30 degrees avance btdc , this normal at idle while talking to the computer?

it also says im sitting at a water temp of 89 celcius or 192 degrees farenheight , im going to take it out tomorrow before it rains while its hot out and get another water temp reading

i read a caddy website that said to check my raditaor cap and cooling system so after i take my reading tomorrow ill go grab a cap

oh and another thing my p039 code can be caused by a old prom , is this a part i can pick up or something that needs reprogramed?
    i got that info here:
    http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtop039.htm

but his is a north * so im kinda wondering if it applys to my 4.9 or not , my tranny is a 4t60e tho......

as always i enjoy all the help i get here , and im loving trobleshooting this thing , that computer makes things so easy

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It's that whole minds eye thing. I'm just that good . We got a foxy boxer on the site. That's cool. I think I've met the most deverse (perverse, which ever :devillaug ) buch of people on this site then anywhere else.

You want a 46 year old for pictures???... Only if I can wear the gloves I wore in my last pro fight
    I'm sure we can fit the gloves in somehow
    40 something Brittany Spears huh? I DO have a thing for her

Sorry Stoneage, it seems these boys have forgotten all about your timing problems. Boys will be boys...That sounds like a lot of advance for an idling engine, but the temp. seems about right.Although, a lot of advance will make an engine run a bit warm...Now, where were we on this calander thing? fftopic:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.