H.E.I. Help Needed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, H.E.I. Help Needed in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Angela Desmond Sorry Stoneage, it seems these boys have forgotten all about your timing problems. Boys will ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: H.E.I. Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Desmond
    Sorry Stoneage, it seems these boys have forgotten all about your timing problems. Boys will be boys...That sounds like a lot of advance for an idling engine, but the temp. seems about right.Although, a lot of advance will make an engine run a bit warm...Now, where were we on this calander thing? fftopic:
    The timing is ok and Angela, the engine runs COOLER with more advance, not warmer.
    I wouldn't try to cross-apply service info from Northstar to previous version engines. Most if not all info will not apply. I'm on vacation so my reference material is at work and I can't look anything up, but FYI a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) is a replacable "chip" in the ECM. You can get PROMs (both stock and custom) from many sources including the dealer.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved
    its all good guys and gals , im thankful for the help ive gotten so far so the off topic stuff dont bother me at all

ok took the numbers today while it was pinging

water temp is @ 224.6 f , when it wasnt pinging yesterday temp was 192

is that still ok ? if i remember right like 240 f is bad news

timing goes clear to 17 btdc @55 mph but still around 25-35 btdc at idle

air intake temp is @204 f @ idle and 185 f at 55 mph - no wonder why cold air intakes are worth ponys

weatherman says its 95 out today

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Question

Question Kat... Wouldn't too much advance make an engine be running on the edge of detonation and wouldn't that make an engine run warmer?

Oh, I forgot, if you want to see a picture of me, see if you can get into "The Scranton Times" archives. There is a picture of me in the sports section on Dec. 6th 1997 of me fighting Kate Sekules in the first womens pro fight in Scranton. My last name was Reiss then.I'm the blond on the right with the shoulder tattoo...

Question Kat... Wouldn't too much advance make an engine be running on the edge of detonation and wouldn't that make an engine run warmer?
    Actually, detonation has no real effect on engine temp, engine temp has an effect on detonation though. That maybe what the problem is in this case. He's running a rather hot engine in rather hot ambient air. Depending on fuel and baro pressure, detonation maybe tough to avoid without some modifications to the car and/or fuel octane improver.

Years ago, many cars (mostly carburated ones) used a vacuum control valve that would allow full manifold vacuum at cold start-up, then reduce to "ported" vacuum once warmed up, and finally allow full manifold vacuum again in an impending over-heat condition. This was to improve driveability when cold, reduce emmissions when warmed up, and cool the engine if it was getting near over-heating.

We can go into the full-blown mechanics of it but to be honest, I'd probably have to hit my books first to brush-up on the theory before explaining it here. I'm sure I'd forget something and confuse us both

Oh, I forgot, if you want to see a picture of me, see if you can get into "The Scranton Times" archives. There is a picture of me in the sports section on Dec. 6th 1997 of me fighting Kate Sekules in the first womens pro fight in Scranton. My last name was Reiss then.I'm the blond on the right with the shoulder tattoo...

Sorry, looks like the archives only go back to '98

Sorry,
    I should've also pointed out that the different vacuum levels were being applied to the distributor vacuum advance, and that they were not simply "ported" but also "restricted". I hope this didn't confuse anybody.

Thumbs up

Now THAT'S what I like to see; a well thought out, lucid answer, by an informed individual. Thanks for that info.

hell yah , good stuff katshot

i think over the next week or two ill try to get the coolant temps down , origianl coolant/themostat/rad cap in a 112,000 mi engine so i think if i get those done first then id be in good shape and maybe scrub 10-20 degress from the coolant temps

ok tonight im gonna test the EGR valve , apperntly my egr valve cant be vaccum tested so i have to do the 2k rpm test where i lift the diapharm or something , tomorrow im pulling the EGR valve and cleaning it, then going out to buy a new valve when i break the gasket on the old valve (damned parts stores), after i do this to no avail , im gonna wait untill the sonofabitch burns a piston

i cleand the egr tubes in the throttle body , did the GM upper engine cleaner , changed my plugs , wasted 2 weeks on coolant temp issues ,changed boath o2 sensors, changed cap and rotor , plug wires , 3 cans of injector cleaner ,looked for vaccum leaks ,by tomorrow i will have went thru the EGR system completly, i am just out of ideas now , im thinking the 4.9 was engineered from caddy to ping on sunny days , must be why there is no knock sensor

hey Stoneage, have you tried using a higher octane to rid yourself of the ping? I don't know what's sold by you, but here in the NY area Sunoco has a 94 octane....just a thought...

yah , running 93 , round here there isnt anything higher , but shes packin 104+ octine booster so maybe thatll help

"104" only brings the octane up one point to 93.1.Not much of a boost at a dollar something a pint. It's made of tuolene and xylene, both petroleum distillates. They go for $5.00 a gallon in the paint store. That's what I have to mix with the gas when I get the 11:1 compression 425 on the road. Either that or buy racing fuel at $6.00 a gallon...I thought I heard a ping in my '95 DeVille 4.9 but using the Sunoco 93 for awhile and I don't hear it anymore. I use other brands now but always 93 octane and now I never hear it....I forget the formula exactly, but the tuolene is something like 1 gallon to 20 gallons of gas would raise 93 to 94. I have it written down somewhere, if you want to try it I'll dig it out for you.

well angie , i appricate the idea , but im just trying to get the thing to run on 93 , useing the octaine booster to try to see if anything happens ( like a small decrese in ping )

but i didnt know it only raised it that little , i think i wasted my money

hopefully after a couple of beers (my octaine booster) ill get somewhere with the EGR and solve it , just my prides taken a beating over this one , i used to be a airforce firetruck mechanic wasnt much i couldnt fix but this caddys got my number

wonder if leaky injectors are the cause ....not sure how i would test those in the car without some kind of pressure gauge and factory specs

Don't feel bad, we've got a 1953 Dodge M-37 personel carrier that constantly gives us brain stumping headaches. As for the money spent on 104 you're not the only one that doesn't fully know what up with that stuff; that's how they stay in business. Whenever you need specs, I have the manuel from Helm Inc. It's a bit expensive ($125.00) but has everything in it. I can always send you specs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.