The 325-4l dipstick I broke inside fill-tube...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, The 325-4l dipstick I broke inside fill-tube... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; any ideas as to where it would be sitting now? I have the factory service manual for my lovely car ...
    topless84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado

The 325-4l dipstick I broke inside fill-tube...

any ideas as to where it would be sitting now? I have the factory service manual for my lovely car but cant seem to find any info as to where it would have fallen to. I heard it break and fall when I was twisting the dipstick at the gas-station. Drop the pan or fish it out the tube? Thanks for the help I'm scared to drive it in the mean-time! Also I have a hard error code 29. I think my transmission is getting into 4th but its hard for me to tell. What should I ask for at the transmission shop to minimize the $$$ as much as possible. Thanks everybody and goodluck with your cars!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: The 325-4l dipstick I broke inside fill-tube...

maybe a perfectly sized magnet?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

How much of it broke off? If it was a short peice, it's probably lying at the bottom of the pan. Leave it rest in peace. If it broke right at the base of the handle, it's probably still in the tube. Pull the tube and it does not come out with it, it should be sticking out of the hole.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I believe Ranger has the right approach. That's how I would try to get it out.

thank you!! it was about 3 1/2 to 4 inches so I have most of the length still attached to the handle. I heard the piece hit the bottom like ping... ping... ping.... I need to do a filter change and detail-clean the pan because as my uncle kindly reminded me I cant afford major transmission problems on this car. That has to do with my other problem. the hard error code 29: shorted 4th gear circuit. In the service manual they say to make sure the trans is getting through all four gears which I THINK it is but when I enter diagnostic on the freeway when I think Im in 4th the HI indicator light on the climate control which indicates 4th gear check circuit function is NOT on....So in the manual they then say to drop the pan and disconnect the electrical connection to the tranny itself and then to narrow it down further to reconnect that connection and disconnect the 4th gear circuitry that I remove the pan to reach. My problem is that I cant see in the manual which wire/ connecter that is on the bottom of the tranny. I'm trying to figure it all out in advance because I'm NOT a pro but Id love to do a good job on this baby. Thanks for all the help!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

To verify that it has shifted to 4th you should feel 3 shifts, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th. 3 shifts. Before doing anything inside the transmission, make sure the T.V. cable to the trans is adjusted correctly. In the factory manual, in the first few pages of transmission adjustments, it walks you thru TV cable adjustment. Once you do that adjustment , you should feel a difference in shift feel if it was out before. The light above HI tells you that its in lockup, if on, not 4th gear. You can be in 4th and have no signal to the TCC solenoid which will keep the light off. With the pan off, you will see a wiring harness going towards the left front of the valve body to the electrical solenoid. Confirm that wiring is not cut or misrouted so as to touch metal anywhere which would cause a shorted circuit and the code 29. If all that looks fine, replace the solenoid it is, after all, 25 years old. If after all that it still doesnt go to lock up then check the brake light switch above the brake pedal. If misadjusted, no signal will go thru it to the transmission to engage TCC lock up! Check the manual on how to adjust this switch. Use DEXTRON type VI fluid when you refill. its a full synthetic and will improve the shift feel. The easiest way to verify that TCC lock up has occured while driving, is to be above 58 MPH at steady throttle and lightly touch the brake pedal with your left foot without changing car speed. If normal, you will feel a slight bump as it disengages and then another bump when you remove your foot and it re engages. This transmission is a 4 speed lockup torque converter transmission. Driven gently up to 58 MPH you should feel 3 distinct shifts in gears and a subtle engagement of TCC lockup assuming the car is at normal operating temperature. The cars computer keeps torque converter lock up from occuring until trans fluid is at normal temp. usually after 15 min of driving.

thanks just the info i needed!

Thank you! over and out for now....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.