Valves...4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Valves...4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I have been having a problem on my Deville with a rough idle from time to time, and skipping ...
    GeneLaw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe Deville, 1989 Brougham, 1984 Mercury Cougar,

Valves...4100

Hello,

I have been having a problem on my Deville with a rough idle from time to time, and skipping during driving. I take it this place that specializes in Cadillacs and they claim "the valves are sticking and you need a $2000 valve job"......Anyone have any input on this?? The engine is the HT 4100 and has 52k miles on it, it was driven off and on and when I took possession of it, I noticed the rough idling a couple years ago. It seems to accelerate fine if thats any help.

Gene

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Valves...4100

A little more information, I have done a FULL tune up, tried STP in the gas tank as well. The shop that diagnosed the valves say they did a cleaning of them with some chemical, but that did not work at all either.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

A good shop would do a compression test if they thought there were bad valves. I would say it takes a darn good mechanic to get these heads off and back on again without problems and I wouldn't risk it. When the 4100 dies an early death like most do, it is time to replace it with something else. When was the last tune up on this car? Isn't there a service engine light and a digital information center on those cars so you can read codes?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    A good shop would do a compression test if they thought there were bad valves. I would say it takes a darn good mechanic to get these heads off and back on again without problems and I wouldn't risk it. When the 4100 dies an early death like most do, it is time to replace it with something else. When was the last tune up on this car? Isn't there a service engine light and a digital information center on those cars so you can read codes?
    Apparently the place I went to was not a good shop, lol, because I do not think they did anything of the sort. There is a "service soon" light on the car and a "service now" on the car, neither of which have been triggered. I did a tune up about two months ago. There is a digital fuel center which can be read from inside the car, but not sure about the code thing. As for as dying an early death, I have seen many last well into 200k miles!! Guess its all about how you take care of it....

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

If you intend to keep the car: you should buy the Cadillac Factory Service Manual. Should be some on ebay.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

you have the RWD 4.1 so all bets are off

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I use Marvel Mystery Oil for sticky valves, and it works. It's worth a few bucks to try some, if in fact the problem is sticky valves. A pint in of it in the engine oil is what I would use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.