93 Deville main bearing thump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 93 Deville main bearing thump in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone how are you doing I have a 93 cadillac deville 4.9 with the main bearing thump and im ...
    mike93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac sedan deville

93 Deville main bearing thump

Hi everyone how are you doing I have a 93 cadillac deville 4.9 with the main bearing thump and im wondering if i should change the main bearings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcaddy95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995,Cadillac Deville,HT 4900

Re: 93 Deville main bearing thump

I noticed my 95 does it to sometimes especially in hot weather. All the threads, I read every body said use 15w40 rotella T or delvac which i never did i use 10w40 valvoline sync power and never heard it again.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Our old Guru always said it was annoying, but harmless. Use the 15W40 oil hcaddy suggested or live with it (if you can). GM does have a service bearing to replace it with if you want to go through the trouble.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

All you need to change is #1 bearing, as Ranger mentioned there are actually 2 undersize replacements. I did the job on an 88 I used to own years ago. It wasn't a real bad job. I ended up using the smaller undersize bearing that they had. Special order, I think they were $40 each from the dealer back then. I plastigaged the existing #1 bearing, I believe it was about .0022 clearance. Not bad as far as bearings go, but I remember the guru stated that anything over .002 would give the thump. I had to loosen all the main bearing caps to let the crank hang, to swap the bearing out. I ended up with .0016 or so with the second undersize and it was quiet.

I think im gonna change the bearing because im using the rotella 15w40 and the knocking is very loud still with the rotella at idle and when accelerating u hear it but not at wide open throttle

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

How are you certain that what you hear is a main bearing?

it's gotta be that idk what else it could be the egr is brand new throttle body is clean egr tubes are clean and everyone says when it don't do it at wide open throttle thats the main bearing thump

hcaddy95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995,Cadillac Deville,HT 4900

You could take your belt off and start the engine and see if you hear it. you will be able to pin point the sound if it is your main bearing thumping

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I'd like to add that though the #1 is the one that makes the noise, there are service replacements for TWO positions. #1 and #5. The theory that I've been taught by the local dealer and by a specialty place called "The Caddy Shop", the aluminum block distorts over years of heat/cooling cycles. It creates a scenario where, with the added clearance after distortion, the crank "teeter-totters" and makes noise.

I've also found an unlikely theory on the internet that the serpentine belt tension can cause this bearing wear...but I just don't buy that.

I've posted the part numbers before. If you are interested, do a search.

If you want to be certain before spending the money, I'd take some plastigauge to the mains first. I'm pretty sure dropping the pan on your deville should be really easy, as it was still when they used a crossover for the exhaust.

ok i will try that first because i gotta take offthe pan anyway because the oil pan gasket is leaking and i like to try to fix my car because im in school for auto mechanic so i can practice on the car a lil

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I remember the guru saying that the trhe serpentine belt tension is what contributed to the problem, as it kept trying to lift the crankshaft and when number one cylinder fired, it pushed back down, rocking the crank a bit. I do not remember him saying anything about number 5 bearing. All I did when I diagnosed mine was to take some tension off the belt while it was idling in gear, and the noise went away.......I also remember the guru saying they changed the block on the 4.9's to eliminate the problem. On my 95 I used to own, it was doing it with 160k miles on it. But my 88 did it with half of those miles on it.

should i change the block it only has 102,000 miles on it

Hell no!
    morgue.delivery likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    I remember the guru saying that the trhe serpentine belt tension is what contributed to the problem, as it kept trying to lift the crankshaft and when number one cylinder fired, it pushed back down, rocking the crank a bit. I do not remember him saying anything about number 5 bearing. All I did when I diagnosed mine was to take some tension off the belt while it was idling in gear, and the noise went away.......I also remember the guru saying they changed the block on the 4.9's to eliminate the problem. On my 95 I used to own, it was doing it with 160k miles on it. But my 88 did it with half of those miles on it.
    What? Every accesory system on any engine pulls up on teh crank... If it didn't there wouldn't be any tension on the belt. IF it's the belt that causes it, why doesn't the northstar exhibit the same problem? How about a Toyota 4 cylinder? That doesn't explain why only this particular engine knocks. No offense to this "guru", but that sounds absurd. A belt causing main bearing wear?

It doesn't make sense when you consider that on any engine, the crank never actually touches the bearings. It always rides on a film of oil. THe only way to create clearance is to either run it out of oil, eliminating the film, or create main bearing clearance through dirty oil wear or distortion.

I'm not trying to be offensive, just trying to understand. Anyone remember the explaination he gave for this?

Either way, I can confirm the service bearings in both postions...I installed them in my '95 two years ago. THe number 5 is a green bearing, and the number one is blue or purple, I can't remember which.

edit: I found the part numbers I had posted two years ago:
    Here are the current part numbers for the bearings if anyone is interested...

(#1 position, service: 3545719)blue
    #2 AND #4 positions: 12489577
    #3 position: 3545721
    #5 position: 3545722
    (#5 position, service: 3545723)green

All installed, engine still purrs to this day. Just as quiet as a new lexus V8

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.