Power steering pulley
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Power steering pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Alright, a while ago, I replaced my power steering pump due to a leak at the shaft seal and air ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Power steering pulley

Alright, a while ago, I replaced my power steering pump due to a leak at the shaft seal and air intrusion. Everything works great and cured my fluid-foaming problem at cold temps.

However, when I replaced the pump, I noticed some thin, hairline cracks near the center of the pulley near the steel sleeve that gets pressed on to the pump shaft.

A little while later, the pulley is makong noise now. Even with the car off, I can try to wiggle the pulley and can hear the plastic "creak". Obviously, I plan to replace this.

Remembering from the other cars I've owned, the plastic power steering pulley was a 4.9 thing introduced in the '90's. However, the 4.1 and 4.5 have all steel power steering pulleys (I've confirmed this with my '90 4.5 and dads '89 4.5. I could replace the pulley with the correct plastic one, but, for piece of mind, I'd rather replace it with a steel pulley if the diameters are the same. Does anyone have any available info that confirms the interchangeability?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Re: Power steering pulley

A new one costs $20-$25 and should last as long as the OEM part did.
    I'd be comparing at the local 'recycle' yard or parts store.

Yeah, I'm planning on heading out to the junkyard for a replacement either way. I just figured I'd see if anyone has experimented here before doing so myself.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

You're lucky, Dorman sells a replacement for your model. Okay it's plastic, buy two.

I have a 4.1 and my pulley is warbled a little. Nobody makes a replacement for the pump on the 4.1. I bought a junkyard replacement and it was also bent. So I've been looking at pulleys from other vehicles and while I can get pretty close there is always something just different enough. One of the Jeep pulleys was really close (they use the same pump) but the offset was backwards since they run the belt behind the face instead of on top of it. From what I recall the other 4.x pulleys had completely different shafts. If you want to go on a similar quest, go to dormanproducts.com and find the power steering pulley PDF catalog, look up your part and write down the dimensions, then look at all of the other parts to find similar dimensions.

Let us know if you find anything

well, they are easily available at local parts stores and the junkyards around here. Availability isn't the problem. Just a matter of being able to switch to the steel one if I wanted to.

I guess I will be the pioneer with this question. I'll take a micrometer to the junkyard, pull some pulleys and measure the shaft diameters. I'll let you guys know once I go out there.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

The junkyards around here won't sell the pulleys, they sell the pumps with the pulleys still attached. I have four pumps...

If you find a 4.1 with a pulley still on it grab it for me?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Just FYI 4.9s in 93 had all steel pulleys on them also so you don't necessarily have to go back to a 4.5. Both my 4.9s are steel so I am pretty sure they are OEM.

Mine is wearing out though, I have had to replace the PS pump 4 times now so the pulley has been removed and installed several times. This last time I had to run a washer and bolt through the pulley into the pump to keep it pressed on, otherwise the pulley would slide off and misalign the belt making the car un-driveable, just something you may want to keep in mind if you are going to be pulling junk yard parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.