Distributor removal and install on 85 rwd ht4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Distributor removal and install on 85 rwd ht4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have recently redone an 85 rwd ht4100 and the distributor had already removed before I got the car. Purchased ...
    dhuberasu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1985 fleetwood brougham

Distributor removal and install on 85 rwd ht4100

I have recently redone an 85 rwd ht4100 and the distributor had already removed before I got the car.

Purchased rebuilt long-block and I fully assembled the motor before putting in car. Here is the tough part..I had to remove distributor after installing the motor in the car. Now...getting the distributor in is easy and can get a hold down clamp on it but can't start the nut.

I also don't know if I have the stock distributor clamp..is there a special one that allows the clamp and nut to be installed before distributor is installed?

Can tell I need the special tool though to tighten it once I get it on.

thanks
    david

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Re: Distributor removal and install on 85 rwd ht4100

I feel your pain. BTDT just about 1yr ago this week. I bought a 13mm/15mm distributor wrench from Summit Racing(W1186)....$10 delivered. What a difference the correct tool makes! I was dealing with the 'transition' version of the 4.1. I did not have to remove the clamp&bolt to install the distributor. The clamp has a elongated bolt-hole in mine....

going to take some pics of this and post....the stud bolt is off to the side of distributor hole and continuing on a radial line there is a "boss" in the casting of the manifold behind the stud....

I would envision a larger clamp with a slot in it to accommodate the "boss" and stud. All I have in a small one...little larger than quarter and not as big as half-dollar,,,,back edge of clamp catches on front edge of "boss"....just does not seem right.....

seems like you need to be able to install clamp and nut (loose), then slide clamp back...or tapered edge that as distributor is inserted would push clamp out of way....after fulling inserting distributor....slide clamp inward.....tighten it down....

thanks
    david

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I've had the distributor out of a 4100, but it's been too long ago to remember.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

David: your description is exactly how it is on my 4.1, so maybe there was a design change in that clamp. You might try hunting the 'recycle' yards or if you know a parts guy at a dealer, that possible design change can be researched. A machine shop can elongate the clamp-hole.

thank you gentleman...will post what I do..would like to find proper clamp...will "hit" the place I bought the long block too!!! thanks for the advice!!

david

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.