Oil Filter Analysis
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Oil Filter Analysis in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone experienced with companies that do oil-filter analysis? I'd like to get a report on what 2 filters have trapped ...
    Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Oil Filter Analysis

Anyone experienced with companies that do oil-filter analysis? I'd like to get a report on what 2 filters have trapped inside. One is a 300 mile use filter from new engine and the second will be a 3000 mile use filter. I know there are a number of companies that do this analysis, but I've not done this before. Looking for recommendations. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Oil Filter Analysis

DIY - Using a vise to hold the filter, carefully hacksaw around the crimp at the tapping plate and pull the media out. Using a box knife, cut the media pleats away from the end caps. Break the media into sections of 10 - 12 pleats and (rags underneath) squeeze each accordion dry in the vise. Open the pleats and flatten, disregarding any paint or metal chips at the end you sawed off. Remember that oil flows through the media from the case side to the center tube, so contaminants will be trapped in the outside diameter of the media.

Aluminum chips or shavings will be bright silver, iron will be darker steel metallic, cylinder wall material - iron from ring breakin - will be silvery gray dust and bits and pieces of gasket and sealer will be various colors. The media should, on a 7,500 mile filter, be a uniform dark brown/amber color.

Look at these - http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html and http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

I can guarantee that, in the 300 mile filter, you will find some aluminum flecks, some plain old black grit from the oil passages, and maybe some bits and pieces of excess gasket sealers. In the 3,000 mile filter, practically nothing except media discoloration. Both completely normal.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Re: Oil Filter Analysis

I use a filter cutter to open them. I have to use it on airplanes, so it's handy to check other filters. Carbon particles are what I usually find in a normal higher mileage engine. Metal can be bad news, and I use a magnet to catch the steel debris. Aluminum Particles can be seen OK with a magnifier if not with the naked eye.
    Submariner 409 did a good description of what's possibly in there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.