88 Eldorado, Code B127, E040, No Gears
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 88 Eldorado, Code B127, E040, No Gears in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1988 Eldorado that I recently replaced the EGR valve (lots of fun). I had to remove the ...
    Trilo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Eldorado

Question 88 Eldorado, Code B127, E040, No Gears

I have a 1988 Eldorado that I recently replaced the EGR valve (lots of fun). I had to remove the TPS in order to remove and replace EGR. Despite my best efforts, I didn't reset the TPS properly with the ISC and throttle at absolute 0. I am doing that tomorrow.
    In the meantime, the car suddenly stopped dropping into gear. I've got the B127 code and only reverse. I also have the E040 code as soon as I jump on the highway. I thought that was a vacume line but even after clearing the codes and fixing the vac line (that kept popping out) I'm still getting the "open power steering switch circuit."
    I also replaced one of the fuel injector ports a week ago. Depsite that, the engine has been real doggy on the highway and I assumed it was the throttle postion sensor needed to be reset and recalibrated.
    Does this model have a Crank Shaft Postion Sensor or could it be the Neutral safety switch, or the gear selector switch?
    This was a great car but it sat for almost a year because I was driving my truck.

Are any of these things related?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Re: 88 Eldorado, Code B127, E040, No Gears

The Cadillac owner who is a DIY'er need to have the FSM for his model.
    Plenty on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

The best tool you can have......

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 88 Eldorado, Code B127, E040, No Gears

"I only have reverse" so in reverse on the highway you get a e040 code?? Try to be a little more precise please. The E040 code is usually the switch on the rack and pinion that is either failed electrically or the wiring connector on it is poor fitting (loose). It screws in where the 2 hydrallic lines enter the steering rack just under the power brake unit. I've had some luck with removing this switch, depressing the ck ball in the switch while spraying carb cleaner on the ck ball, then reinstalling it making sure the wiring connector provides a real tight fit. Then erase the code. The shifter is a cable thats clamped to the neutral safety switch on the top of the transmission. Theres a retainer collar on the cable that can be loosened to allow the cable back and forth adjustment. If you were in that area trying to adjust it, you could have disturbed the power steering switch or its connection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.