86 deville intake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 86 deville intake in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ok guys got another question for ya my wife has a 86 deville with the famous 4100 in it and ...
    fatlipspank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadi STS

86 deville intake

ok guys got another question for ya my wife has a 86 deville with the famous 4100 in it and blew a intake gasket, any body know the specs on the intake torque and the specs for the valvs and rods or are they self adjusting (what a pain in the ass to change an intake gasket) any info before monday dec 7 would be of great use just looking for torqu specs and anything on the valves and lifters kinda a newb on the push rods and lifters and crap

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 86 deville intake

They are self adjusting. Don't touch them.

I'll move this to the 4.1/4.5/4.9 forum where you'll get more help on the torque spec's.

ty
    very much man

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

The torque specs on the manifold bolts depends on the bolt style you have. The bolts with the spring washers get torqued to 8 and then 12ft/lbs in sequence. however, I'm pretty sure these fasteners were introduced later in the 4.x's production. The regular style bolts are 21ft/lbs in sequence, I believe, but wait for someone with the correct info.

When you take the valve covers off, you will notice that the rockers are mounted on a support bar across the head. Remove the bar and they will come off as an assembly. DO NOT remove the rockers individually. Those bolts were self tappers and once they are removed, you risk stripping threads. the support bar is aluminum, and can be delicate, so care must be taken. First remove the smaller bolts on the bottom side. The top nuts are where to be careful to spread the load of the valve springs, EVENLY remove the nuts holding the support to the headbolts. By this I mean loosen each one a 1 turn at a time until they are all loose. If you spin them off one by one, you risk cracking the support bar due to the force of the valve spring and you are in trouble.

When you replace the manifold gaskets and are ready to re-assemble, the rocker support bar nuts get tightened to 37ft/lbs in a similar fashion to the way they were removed. Tighten them carefully and evenly. The smaller lower bolts aren't as critical due to their purpose and location. I think the manual calls for 87 in/lbs or something but I just snug them up a little since I don't have a in/lb torque wrench.

i took everything off with no problems i just needed specs on ft lbs for the rockers (as i took the rockers and rods out cuase they travel through the intake) i jsut need to find out the torque on the support bar and the rockers. also is there any torque spec on the rockers or as snug as i can get them and are the self adjusting cause valves arnt my thing

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

If you don't have a manual with the tightening sequence, torque all the manifold bolts a bit at a time to 15 ft lbs, and then all to 22 ft lbs a bit at a time. Make sure the bolt lengths are correct in where they belong. With them sitting where the go, they should be about the same height before starting to turn them in. The rocker arm supports (pivots) are torqued to 22 ft lbs. Draw them down evenly to keep the support pivot from tipping etc.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

This is what my 85 FSM says abbreviated, and what I did on last job

lubricate the friction parts (I used gear oil, book says axle lube)

attach rocker ams and pivots to the support bar and tighten each rocker pivot bolt to 22 ft/lb

lay rocker arm support in position and install pushrods

install the rocker support hardware, alternately and evenly tighten until barely snug (like you would for lug nuts)

once all hardware is snugged, tighten the five larger nuts to 37 ft/lb, and the four small nuts to 7 ft/lb (these WILL STRIP if cranked so just leave snug)

remember that the lifters are hydraulic and they will chatter at first

well i got everything back together after finally waiting 2 days to get gaskets. Now the other problem is i think i put the distributor in wrong, or does it only go in one way (keyed) or did i just screw my self i had it in and got some back fires so i figured i would take it back out and turn it one cog didnt work so i turned it another still didnt work and now i got nothing my wife needs the car by tomorrow Dec 10 or i have to take more time off to fix this thing (could the throttle position sensor be off a bit ?)

No it does not only go in one way. You screwed yourself, but it is fixable. You have to retime it. Rotate the crank by hand (with a wrench on the dampener bolt) til #1 is at TDC compression stroke. Now pull the distributor cap and see what tower the rotor contact is at. put #1 plug wire there and then continue the wires in the direction of rotation in the correct timing order. The other option is mark the tower where #1 wires is and drop that line down to the distributor so it can be seen once the cap is off. Now pull the distributor and rotate it so that the rotor contact is pointing at that line (#1 plug wire tower). Two different ways to skin the same cat, but the piston MUST be at TDC compression in either case.

whats the easiest way to tell its on tdc on compression stroke with out having the head off when it comes to timing cars im a nub ( gaskets and stuff no prob )

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Pull the #1 plug out. Put your finger over the spark plug hole. Have someone click the starter until the compression forces your finger out of the hole. You now know the engine is on the compression stroke (piston on it's way up with valves closed). Then, by hand, rotate the engine to TDC using the timing marks and a wrench on the crank.

Or when you know you are on compression stroke as mentioned above. Drop a 1/4" diameter dowel rod down the spark plug hole (make sure it is at least 12" long). Then watch it as the crankshaft is turned via the dampener bolt. It's sitting on top of the piston so it will rise with it. When it stops rising, it's at TDC.

Thanks guys for all the insite got her up and running this morning kudos to all you guys for the brains of the operation now i just have to get the heater going it blows good but dont get any heat ( it was like this when i bought it and the guy said something about a vacume line under the dash might be pinched or off the thing unless he put the thermostat in there upside down) i dont know, if you guys have any ideas of what it might be please feel free to reply to this post or put it in the right spot so i can get other ideas thanks in advance and for all the previous help ..

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

It could be any number of things, first thing to check is to see if the engine is getting up to temp since that will tell you if your problem is with the thermostat or not. There is a procedure to monitor some of the engine parameters from the cabin, but it's kind of complicated. You really ought to get an FSM if you are going to do your own work. Otherwise probably ought to take it somewhere and ask them to read the temperature with their scanner

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.