1995 4.9 cam sync check engine??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1995 4.9 cam sync check engine?? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Greetings. I am trying to help my son whom I gifted a 1995 Deville with the 4.9. It has over ...
    oscodagp63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 @1999 deville

1995 4.9 cam sync check engine??

Greetings. I am trying to help my son whom I gifted a 1995 Deville with the 4.9. It has over 200K but is a nice car. He had a recent problem where the car stopped running right, sounded to me as though it might have been a fuel system problem. He cannot afford a dealer repair and he lives many miles from me. He found someone in his area of NC who diagnosed the problem to be a cam sensor gone bad. Sounded like a good possibility. He had the sensor replaced, the engine runs better but not right and has a check engine light on. He had Auto Zone put the tester on to find a code which says "cam sync". What does that mean and how do I advise him on how to repair. Any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Freakzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9L 200,000m

Re: 1995 4.9 cam sync check engine??

Sounds like they didn't note the position of the rotor while replacing the sensor and now his camshaft is out of sync.

Tell him to make sure that sensor is connected first.

From the FSM:

The cam position sensor is a Hall effect switch located in the distributor. It provides one pulse per rotation of the distributor. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the cam sensor signal to know the location of the camshaft for proper fuel distribution. PCM code P041 will set if the computer receives reference pulses and does not detect a cam sensor pulse.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT:

Ignition switch battery feed wire from distributor cap.
    Ignition coil connectors from distributor cap.
    Four (4) retainers on distributor cap and move cap out of way.
    Six terminal PCM harness from distributor.
    Distributor clamp nut and hold down clamp. Using J 29791 or equivalent.
    Note position of rotor, then pull distributor up until rotor just stops turning counter clockwise and again note position of rotor.
    Remove distributor.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

Distributor with rotor in same position as noted in removal step 6.
    Hold down clamp and distributor clamp nut lightly snug.
    Six terminal PCM harness.
    Distributor cap.
    Four (4) retaining bolts.
    Ignition coil connector to cap.
    Ignition switch battery feed wire.
    Adjust ignition timing.
    Tighten distributor hold-down nut using J 29791 or equivalent to 25 Nm (20 lb. ft.).

TIMING:

Timing specifications for each engine are listed on the underhood Vehicle Emissions Control Information label in the engine compartment.

The 4.9L engine incorporates a magnetic timing probe hole for use with special electronic timing equipment. Refer to the manufacture's instructions for the use of this equipment.

Malfunction codes may be set during ignition timing. Enter diagnostics and clear codes if this occurs.

With ignition "OFF," connect the pickup lead of timing light to the number one spark plug. Use a jumper lead between the wire and plug or an inductive type pickup.
    With engine at normal operating temperature and A/C "OFF," Remove air cleaner housing upper.
    Jumper pins A & B at the DLC connector while not in diagnostic display. "SET TIMING MODE" message will be displayed on the Climate Control Driver Information Center.
    Start engine and aim the timing light at the timing mark. The line on the pulley will line up at the timing mark. If a change is necessary, loosen the distributor hold-down clamp nut with J 29791. While observing the mark with the timing light, slightly rotate the distributor until the line indicates the correct timing. Tighten the hold-down nut and recheck the timing.
    Set base timing at 10 degrees (BTDC) at any speed less then 800 RPM.
    Turn off engine and remove timing light.
    Remove the jumper from DLC connector and install air cleaner housing upper.
    Tell him he can check for and clear trouble codes himself, there's a sticky at the top of the forum with instructions.

Code for this is P041.

many thanks from myself and my son. That has got to be it. he should be able to get it corrected without much fuss.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No need to have AZ pull the codes. The car has on board diagnostics. See the sticky at the top of the page to learn how to pull your own codes.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

This can only be the problem if the distributor was pulled at any point. It does NOT have to be pulled to replace the hall effect switch, though pulling the dizzy makes it a lot easier.

You will need a timing light to determine if this is the problem or not. If you don't have access to one, you have no choice but to take it in.

Like Ranger said, if the check engine light is on, you can check it yourself. See the sticky. This might be a good idea before sticking more money into it. Incorrect timing will NOT trigger a check engine light, so check the codes before continuing. It may be as simple as something left unplugged.

Question Re: 1995 4.9 cam sync check engine??

up date on the 95 cam sync. My son has gotten a second opinion and based upon the contacts in the distributor being "bent" and causing an arcing condition which has been suspected in the possible destruction of the computers ignition control sector. He has been told this twice by 2 separate mechanics. Either wiring trace needed, which he said the 1st mechanic did, or, a computer malfunction. I told him he should go with a used computer. Are computers suspect very often?

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Used computers are pretty cheap so that might be a fairly cheap way to diagnose it. The electrical connectors in the distributor are very fragile and get brittle with age. It is very possible there may be a problem with the connections; either "bent" or maybe the plastic connectors fell apart.

Does the replacing of the computer require any additional set up beond plugging in?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.