4.1,4.5,4.9..Which You Prefer? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1,4.5,4.9..Which You Prefer? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a question. Which Devilles do you think were better, from 89-96? I want to get something a little ...
    JoJo_Brand_Star is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville HT4100

Re: 4.1,4.5,4.9..Which You Prefer?

I have a question.
    Which Devilles do you think were better, from 89-96?
    I want to get something a little newer, because i was gonna replaced my 87 Deville with a 92-93 Model.
    But I notice the 94-96 Deville are so much nicer and more roomier, what do you guys think?

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

i kind of biased to the 4.5 since i own one. but as far as i can see the only problem with the 90 4.5 was the trans witch if you cross reference the only other cars that had it wer v6s. And the V8s are heck on them sprag gears but the key is to keep the fulid changed out every 2 years or 20,000 miles depending on what comes first

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_Brand_Star View Post
    I have a question.
    Which Devilles do you think were better, from 89-96?
    I want to get something a little newer, because i was gonna replaced my 87 Deville with a 92-93 Model.
    But I notice the 94-96 Deville are so much nicer and more roomier, what do you guys think?
    For looks its 91-93, but for everything else, its 94+. I'm not sure that the 94+ is that much roomier though.

I love the features the 94-96 Sedan Deville has, that the 85-93 don't.
    And since i pretty most own most of the small body caddy, i just want to try something else.

Here's my list of ownership:

1. 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville
    2. 1989 Cadillac Eldorado
    3. 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville
    4. 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville * Again *
    5. 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville * Again *
    6. 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville

yeah i know, i had my share of caddys but i love them, so i think it's time to get something i really like and actually keep for a very long time, because i intended to keep my 87 forever, but due to the underpowered ht4100, i'm soon to say goodbye.

I'm only 23 years old, and i had enough cars for a lifetime. haha
    the crazy part about my very first car was a 91 Deville at age 20, do the math in between there.
    I had to many cars, in so little time and i'm at a point where i need to get something really nice without letting it go so early.

caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

I have owned a lot of different caddies in a small amount of time and I have to say, I just got a 1992 Deville and Im loving every minute of it. The interior is roomy, the 4.9 is powerful, and the body is classic, yet modern. I will say though, Ive always loved the 94-96 devilles. Ive driven in one a few times, but never owned or driven one myself. I have been told they have a harsher ride than the 91-93 years, but I cant really confirm that. If you are looking for a newer deville in that range, I would suggest getting the 4.9. (94-95) From personal experience, Ive had very bad luck with the northstars. I love the power on them(275hp models due to gear ratios) but its not worth the head gasket problems IMO. My 2001 ETC had a head gasket leak at 60+ thousand miles. Took it into the dealer for a head gasket repair. The repair didnt hold, and the motor came apart after only 1000 miles. So guess who had to buy a new motor??? Yeah, forget that! I would own a northstar again, but only if I bought a brand new cadillac.

90BeigeElDorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5 PFI

Can't go wrong with a 4.9. Great power(torque), reliable, decent on gas for a V8. I owned a 91 Coupe DeVille and really liked the car. Only issue it had was the infamous main bearing thump. I currently own a 90 Eldo with the 4.5 PFI. I have owned it for a year and the power feels very similar to the 4.9 in my Deville. Maybe a little difference in feel off of the line with the difference in torque. The vehicle has never left me stranded although I have had to replace the tranny.(Broke park rod, $13 part, 10+ hour repair. Nah, replace tranny!) I have replaced most all of the common wear parts just for the h**l of it. I have a very high opinion of the 90+ 4.x series engines. If you are going to get a 94-95 Deville, make sure it has the 4.9. Northstar engines are nice when they run, but head gaskets will be an issue sooner or later. My parents had a 98 Deville that my grandma bought new. They bought it from her estate when she passed with only 39K miles on it. Dealer maintained, all coolant flushes, etc. Heads blew in the mountains going through West Virginia. Tow it back, $3500 later for a non-warranted repair, and the car runs again...for awhile. 20K later, head gaskets are leaking coolant internally. Long story short, get the 4.9. My aunt bought a 95 Deville used with 25K on it with a 4.9. She drove it until it hit 100K, then gave it to my cousin. She drove it for another 120K then they sold it. 220K miles, and it is still out there on the road. Good luck!

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

The 4.9 in my '91 Eldo would smoke the tires for about 140' and still get 28 mpg CITY 32 hwy.

Right now I'm doing the head gaskets because an injector failed and hydro-locked a cylinder and pulled the threads from the block. Ported and polished with a good valve job, I'm curious to see what the car will do when I get it back together.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I believe that if I were to get another FWD Caddy, it would be a 4.9 type. Just the roller lifters are enough to make me want that engine. Only thing I wouldn't like is the injection system, since the TBI is quite trouble free for me, and I have three other cars with TBI.
    Dumb question; what is the first year for the 4.9 with rollers? The notorious bearing thump would stop me from having one. I'm getting good at R&R FWD Caddy engines !! A crank grind and bearings would likely solve that issue for some time.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

the 4.9 had roller lifters since it's debut in 1991

OK, so when did the Northstar come into the picture?? I know they have a lot of power, but don't think I want the maintenance and problems that go with them.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

1992. Last year for the 4.9 was '95

CrustyCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Eldorado Biarritz

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    you can put your current intake on top of the 4.9
    I have an 89 Eldorado that was given to me that had this done to it. The person I got the car from worked in a Cadillac dealership and got the car for free. Swapped out the bad 4.5 that was in it for a 4.9 that was laying around the shop with nothing wrong with it. Runs pretty good now after I replaced the broken injectors from the TBI. It ran good when I got it, but other people working on it broke the injector connectors off when removing the air intake housing.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

So you're saying you have a throttle body injected 4.9?

That's been discussed at some point, as to if the ECM can learn a 4.9 in place of a 4.1 etc. Seems like a good idea if it can work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.