Rough 4th gear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Rough 4th gear in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Recent development, '91 Eldorado runs fairly well through 1-2-3 gears, but as soon as I shift into 4th gear, particularly ...
    collinsc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Eldorado

Rough 4th gear

Recent development, '91 Eldorado runs fairly well through 1-2-3 gears, but as soon as I shift into 4th gear, particularly at low rpms, the whole car shakes, almost like it is missing but only in one gear? The only other time I feel this kind of roughness is occasionally at idle the engine will run so roughly that the car feels like it is rolling back and forth just a tad.

Throwing this code, only recently, also:
    E46 - Right to left bank fueling difference

Is it possible for the engine to miss in only one gear? I'd really not like to think my tranny is going @ 42,000mi

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Rough 4th gear

I would first fix the problem which set that code. As far as I remember it was oxygen sensor related. The symptoms you described can be cause with a massive vacuum leak. A stuck open EGR valve can do that. Just my 0.02.

I pulled the EGR off today and it seemed fine...Im thinking its clogged injector? although wouldn't that cause symptoms in other gears also? Im going to run a bottle of lucas injector cleaner through it tomorrow..

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

The oxygen sensors are what tell the computer of the fueling difference. The computer compares the values of each sensor over a certain period of time. Most of the fuel system affects both left and right banks simultaneously so the only things individual to each cylinder are the injectors. And likewise the only sensors individual to each bank are the oxygen sensors. In short, I think its one or more injectors on one side of the engine. They do funny things when they're failing and sometimes go on and off under the conditions of their choosing. Something to do with being in 4th gear could be causing one or more to go out, or maybe it is just most noticeable when in 4th.

I think you would have to have a vacuum leak on one of the intake gaskets to cause a R/L fueling difference. A leak anywhere else would affect both banks the same.

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by collinsc View Post
    I pulled the EGR off today and it seemed fine...Im thinking its clogged injector? although wouldn't that cause symptoms in other gears also? Im going to run a bottle of lucas injector cleaner through it tomorrow..
    I would leave injectors alone for a while. I NEVER heard of any problem solved by simply using an injector cleaner. It is more like a "feel good" thing IMHO.
    Your car allows onboard diagnostics of oxygen sensors. Unfortunately, I got rid of my 1991 Seville FSM, so someone else will likely chime in with directions.

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by collinsc View Post
    Recent development, '91 Eldorado runs fairly well through 1-2-3 gears, but as soon as I shift into 4th gear, particularly at low rpms, the whole car shakes, almost like it is missing but only in one gear? The only other time I feel this kind of roughness is occasionally at idle the engine will run so roughly that the car feels like it is rolling back and forth just a tad.

Throwing this code, only recently, also:
    E46 - Right to left bank fueling difference

Is it possible for the engine to miss in only one gear? I'd really not like to think my tranny is going @ 42,000mi

Thanks in advance for any information.
    The moment you feel shaking may be associated with 3-4 shift but also woth TCC lock-up. When TCC is not locked existing engine problems (like stumbling) are smoothed out with transmission. Things change when TCC is locked-up. That's when engine stumbling will be more noticeable. Idle is another condition under which any miss or stumbling is noticeable because the RPM is so low. My advice again is addressing the existing DTC which is related to the oxygen sensors.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post

I think you would have to have a vacuum leak on one of the intake gaskets to cause a R/L fueling difference. A leak anywhere else would affect both banks the same.
    Yup, good call Sevillian. My money is on intake manifold gaskets.

It's probably happening all the time. It's just that you can feel it more in 4th gear because the torque converter is locked, transmitting the vibrations more. Do you have a rough idle as well?

edit: I suck, I just now saw that the idle is also rough.

I wonder how possible of a job the intake manifold gaskets would be for me and my fairly mechanically inclined father. I'd like to avoid getting raped at a mechanic considering the gasket looks to be only $20.

HUF

Collinsc, do you loose any coolant?

Dont jump to conclusions just yet. Intake gaskets are a worst-case scenario for your symptoms. Injector failure is VERY common on these engines and is the most likely culprit in my opinion. At the very least, you should check the resistance of each injector with a digital voltmeter. You're looking for 12-17 ohms. 2nd most likely cause as HUF said, is a bad oxygen sensor sending false info to the ECM. I just dont think thats very likely at 40K but sh*t happens. They are cheap and easy to replace. In my opinion, replacing them is easier even than checking the injectors with a meter. Recommended change interval is 30K I believe for the o2's. I'll dig up some FSM scans and post them shortly...

Here is chart A-5-A as mentioned in the above trouble tree. It also describes the 'Injector Drop Test' which I suggest you do. It will pin point the offending injector if that is your problem. Its very easy and you dont even have to open the hood!

HUF

Dont jump to conclusions just yet. Intake gaskets are a worst-case scenario for your symptoms. Injector failure is VERY common on these engines and is the most likely culprit in my opinion. At the very least, you should check the resistance of each injector with a digital voltmeter. You're looking for 12-17 ohms. 2nd most likely cause as HUF said, is a bad oxygen sensor sending false info to the ECM. I just dont think thats very likely at 40K but sh*t happens. They are cheap and easy to replace. In my opinion, replacing them is easier even than checking the injectors with a meter. Recommended change interval is 30K I believe for the o2's. I'll dig up some FSM scans and post them shortly...
    It is much easier to check the resistance of the injectors on the common connector (one per bank) than on an individual injector. Just follow wiring and you'll see the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    It is much easier to check the resistance of the injectors on the common connector (one per bank) than on an individual injector. Just follow wiring and you'll see the connector.
    I agree, but if there is a fault in the wiring it will skew the results.

HUF

I agree, but if there is a fault in the wiring it will skew the results.
    True, but if one gets normal resistances from the connectors within a minute, then one does not need to take measurements directly on the individual injectors, which is not that easy. Besides, the PCM gets the signal through the wiring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.